Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More photos New Dredd range from Warlord Games (pg2)  (Read 13265 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
More photos New Dredd range from Warlord Games (pg2)
« on: September 17, 2019, 03:52:02 PM »
I’m sure some of you are eagerly anticipating the release of the new Judge Dredd range, so I thought I’d share the following details that I’ve unearthed about the initial wave of releases, from Wayland Games & Goblin Games who both have got pre-order pages up online...

Obviously therefore, the following info didn’t come directly from Warlord Games, although the scale of the release has since been confirmed by Warlord as being correct. No direct confirmation of the release date that Wayland are indicating.

Release date
A countdown clock on Wayland Games site suggests that the release is Midnight 28th/29th November (November had been mentioned previously, but I wasn’t aware of a specific date...tbh, I was hoping for a 1st Nov release). Just spoke to Goblin Games directly, and they suggested it could be nearer 19th November, but weren’t 100% sure.

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/judge-dredd/69535-dredd-block-gang-reinforcements

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/957-judge-dredd

https://www.goblingaming.co.uk/pages/search-results-page?q=Dredd

Scope of initial release

Both Wayland/Goblin agree on the following list, which has since been verified by Warlord Games.

Rulebook £25
Starter set £50
Judge Dredd £15
Street Judges £20
Arch Villains £24
Denizens of MC-1 £20
League of Fatties £20
Block Gang £20
Block Gang Reinforcements £10

Pre-order discounts

Both Wayland & Goblin Games are offering a 20% discount for pre-orders.

Interestingly, the email I had back from WG was unable to give any detail of pre-order discounts if you order direct from Warlord...responding that they don’t typically give pre-order discounts (erm...they did for the Korean War pre-order in July) ....even to the extent of suggesting that the Warlord respondee doubted it was unlikely that Warlord could match the discounts in question, and that I’d be better of ordering from Wayland/Goblin.

A curious response, and I hope one that was due to a lack of info, rather than an actual policy...not a great sales strategy.

Personally I’m pleased by the scale of the initial release...and I guess it gives me another month to save up some cash.

I do find it baffling that a company with the ambition of Warlord still struggles with its marketing strategy for what should be a high profile launch.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:40:50 AM by AKULA »

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: A bit more detail on new Warlord Games Judge Dredd range
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »
 I think you may get a free figure if you order from Warlord as they have done this with other new releases.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
Is there a firm idea of scale yet? I've been led to believe it's going to be 35mm scale, to eyes.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »
I think you may get a free figure if you order from Warlord as they have done this with other new releases.

Yeah, I’d expect that would be the Death/Dredd combo, but again no confirmation. A nice sculpt but not really a gaming piece, so not a deal breaker for me. If it’s a trade off between getting them a week or so earlier from Warlord with a freebie figure, or a juicy discount from a distributor I expect I’ll go down the latter route.

Is there a firm idea of scale yet? I've been led to believe it's going to be 35mm scale, to eyes.

Nope. Have asked Warlord staff at shows and no definitive answer to that...haven’t seen them close up, just the same preview photos as everyone else.

Tbh, Mongoose & Foundry sculpts are variable in scale, so I’d expect they will fit in.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:53:59 PM »
I would assume this uses both the scale and rules from Strontium Dog.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »
Foundry spoiled us with their range, unless WG are better I'll pass.

MORE
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 07:44:20 PM »
Hold on Red, they spoiled us and taunted us! We didn't get enough figures to make decent forces for JD or Rogue trooper. They also didn't finish the ABC warriors (although the Mongrol sculpt existed)
Have to agree they nailed the characters though. The Angel gang and Dark judges are simply awesome. As is Joe. And their various Slaines
Wish I'd bought them all now. Thanks Red, I feel sad now

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
Lovely paint jobs Red

:-* :-* :-*

Picked up the following blurry image from Warlord’s Instagram account...an upside down image taken from the cover art of the new start box set.

Presumably indicative of the Block gang.

No suggestion that they are multi-part like the very OOP plastic Gangs of MC-1...

I guess the arms/heads could be separate for a bit of variety, but then again they could be more like the metal single-piece street gang that Mongoose produced.

AFAIK all of the new releases are described as “resin” (on the Wayland Games site)...

Nice looking sculpts...but if they aren’t multipart it will probably limit me to buying only a few dozen  :D

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 08:25:26 PM »
Picked up the following blurry image from Warlord’s Instagram account...an upside down image taken from the cover art of the new start box set.
Nope, that's how they look in the hand, Warlord are 3d printing the new range using Waresin© their own brand of resin/plastic polymer. :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 08:43:55 PM »
Tbh, Mongoose & Foundry sculpts are variable in scale, so I’d expect they will fit in.

I've got almost all of the Strontium Dog range and most of the Foundry 2000AD stuff. The WG figures are about as tall as the Foundry figures, but rather more slender in many cases. That said, the various villains have decent heft and work well with the Foundry characters.

I did an SD convention game at a small local game day in January and used both ranges for it. Worked out nicely, but the difference in style is in some cases noticeable, others less so.

The best thing about the WG range, IMHO, is that they did a lot of the more obscure characters early on and made them work well in the game environment.

Offline bernard

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
Always been able to find suitable proxies for everything except the Judges, so will probably just focus on these.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 08:47:00 PM »
as long as they keep uniforms, well, uniform... Mongoose was all over the place.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »
as long as they keep uniforms, well, uniform... Mongoose was all over the place.

Know what you mean, but my understanding is that everything is being sculpted by their “in-house” sculptor so should be consistent.

:)

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
Annoyingly, looks like we have to buy all the new figures to get the rules cards.

Sucks for those who bought the previous ranges.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
Why are you so needy Giraffe!!?!!
In all honesty I have so many judges I can't see me buying anymore except lawgivers, I don't mind the differences between foundry mongoose and even citadel.