Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jetbike Racing Rules?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
Jetbike Racing Rules?
« on: September 17, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
Does anyone know a good ruleset for jet bike racing?   Hopefully a rule set that allows racers to use weapons against other racers?

What rules do the BOYL guys use?

I've almost finished painting twelve Ramshackle jet bikes and need some rules for a violent race.   

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Jetbike Racing Rules?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »
Don't know of a dedicated rule set for that other than fan-made stuff I've seen at conventions (pod racing events, etc).  GW had that Gangs of Whatever-the-Dark-Eldar-Webway-City-Is-Called game a while back, but I think it's OOP now and it was more gangwar on jetbikes than racing.  FASA had Circus Imperium, but that was antigrav chariots pulled by alien lion-things.  You could probably adapt the Gaslands rules to jetbikes pretty easily.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
I think someone used Faustus Furious (a chariot racing game) for rocket bikes.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
I little research says this is a recurring question here.  See this thread for several suggestions:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8538.0

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »
Mod Gaslands ?

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 12:47:56 AM »
A looooooong time ago, GW published rules for dark eldar chasing craftworld eldar through a forest. They were in White Dwarf, some time in the very late nineties or early oughts. If that's something that interests you I can try to find the issue #, afraid my copy is in storage somewhere so I can't provide you with a scan, but at least it would be a lead.

Offline draxx66

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »
We up here in sunny Shetland are doing a Star Wars pod racing game for our open day and while we were testing it one of the things that came up in conversation was adapting it for 40K jet bikes as well as post apoc, and wacky races.

It was adapted from a set of roman chariot racing rules by one of our members.

To be honest it's great silly fun even to watch.

here some pictures of the latest playtest, still a lot of work to be done.

the proto track, need work done to it.

someone gets a quick good start and then...…

runs into a wall.

with the inclusion of sand people snipers and the odd dropped spanner casualties were high.

Hope this give you some inspiration.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 02:06:51 AM »
Future Race rules

Grimm

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 03:01:19 PM »
Future Race rules

Grimm

Given that I'd never heard of them, a link would seem helpful:  http://futureracegames.com/  They sound interesting, and ambitious in scope.  You got a review of the mechanics?

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 05:07:56 PM »

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 08:07:18 PM »
I made this game for Ramshackle stuff and did a thread here (no weapons rules, though):

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105535.0

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 01:10:01 AM »
Thank you guys

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 01:42:45 AM »
I'm not sure on what rules I could recommend, I do think given the nature of jetbikes and general racing style games, I'd prefer a game where the models remained static, moving incrementally in reference to each other, while terrain moved down the table, etc.  (i.e. everyone is traveling in a pack, maneuvering and trying to gain a little advantage).  You could easily do some maneuver cards (selected secretly and played simultaneously).  A lot of simple options to create a rather fun and crazy game I'd imagine.  Have a small terrain chart with the table broken up into 6" or 12" sections...revealing terrain that moved X" per turn from the leading edge of the table.

Players having options to boost, or brake (to get in a better position for guns, or avoid ramming).  Swerving to the sides while sacrificing forward momentum).  A variety of terrain options (random jagged rocks to full on mountains), allowing players to risk trying to zip through them vs. avoid them outright.

Maneuver cards could indicate certain maneuvers that could or could not follow that card, etc. etc.  A lot of potential for...actually a pretty easy thing to whip up for fun.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 02:16:18 AM »
Given that I'd never heard of them, a link would seem helpful:  http://futureracegames.com/  They sound interesting, and ambitious in scope.  You got a review of the mechanics?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27491/future-race

Originally published by Jodie Press, the folks who brought us G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., I think the author is now self-published.

Indeed, a fairly small ruleset, but was great fun when Chris Palmer adapted to make a flying carpet con event.

Thanks for the previous thread; a friend was just mentioning wanting to do something similar.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:53:46 AM by The_Beast »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 04:17:05 AM »
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27491/future-race

Originally published by Jodie Press, the folks who brought us G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., I think the author is now self-published.

I've used those rules to run many a podracing game with micromachines at conventions — a super fun game!