Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 39745 times)

Offline nikkobourges

• Librarian
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »
Hello,

Superb warlord !!! :-* :-*

Nikkobourges

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »
Below are some shots of my Moorish Warlord.  In keeping with my humble Tuareg nomad theme, I kept his garb fairly simple, but because he's his tribe's chieftain, I added a few extra decorative elements

I don't know if it's my computer screen, my camera's settings, or the lighting I used to take these photos, but the blues appear a bit more indigo than they do in person.  I used Army Painter's Deep Blue and mixtures of Deep Blue and Griffon Blue. Weird.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2020, 08:20:05 PM »
Looks beautiful, whatever shade it is.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2020, 09:15:24 PM »
Looks beautiful, whatever shade it is.

+1  :-* :-*

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2020, 12:08:30 AM »
+2.  Very nice.    What are you using for the tan/drab ?
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2020, 12:42:36 AM »

Really nice conversion and painting. I like the blue and tan colors mix 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2020, 03:26:56 PM »
Everything in this project is incredible, the idea, conversions, colour choices, painting. Because I mostly use my phone to browse lead adventure forum I don't leave as much comments in threads as they authors deserve, let me use this space to express my admiration also for Your pagan Rus warband, eastern princes conversions, jungle goblins and dark ages inspired fantasy!

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2020, 09:19:19 PM »
These are the first four models from my 8-man unit of Tribal Hunters mercenaries.  The models are Arab Archers from Footsore Miniatures' Armies of the Caliphates model line.

Age of Crusades describes them as hunters from remote regions who "provide precious help to armies thanks to their skill at moving unnoticed through the untamed countryside and the lethal precision with which they use their weapons."  Their rules include some nifty benefits, like using an enemies fatigue to gain a bonus to their shooting attack dice and the ability to 'stand and shoot' at charging units.

I've decided that they are not Tuaregs, but rather local Arab scouts and trackers from the Iberian peninsula, so I painted their garb and skin tone different.  As non-Tuaregs the challenge was to distinguish them from the rest of the army, but to include some similarities so they don't look entirely out of place.  To this end I used blues on some of the models and gave every model a headscarf painted in the same tan (Baneblade Brown) that I used on my Tuaregs.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2020, 10:14:38 PM »
I just finished conquering half of the Aserai faction in Bannerlords - that's SO inspiring!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2020, 12:57:29 AM »
I really have enjoyed reading through this thread this evening.  The army is coming together very nicely, and I am impressed with your kit-bashing skills.

-Michael

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2020, 01:29:58 AM »
Your Arab archers will fit in very nicely with your previous forces.  I like the way you have muted the blue and red tunics of the archers. Gives them a real used feel.

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »
What are you using for the tan/drab ?
Oops.  Sorry.  I didn't notice this question until just now.

I apply a base coat of Games Workshop's Baneblade Brown over white primer. I shade it with GW's Agrax Earthshade wash.  My first highlight is thinned down coat of Baneblade Brown.  Successive layers of highlights are applied using mixtures of Baneblade Brown and GW's Karak Stone.  My final layer of highlight is Karak Stone.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:18:26 PM by Koyote »

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »
Many months back I bought this model on a whim.  It's the Mutatwawwi'a Warlord from Stronghold Terrain's SAGA Collectibles model line. I didn't have a particular plan for it, but I was shopping for models for my Moors/Umayyad/AoM Desert Nomads project and I liked the model, so I bought it. 

Last week I watched the newest episode of SAGA Thorsday and learned that the rules for this month's painting contest is to submit one character model and extra points will be given to Old Feud Challenger models.  If you've followed the progress of my AoM forest goblin warband, you may remember that in March I converted a couple of extra character models into Challengers for use in the Book of Battles' Old Feud scenario.   I'm not putting any paint on my goblins yet, but It'd be nice to have a painted Challenger for my Moors warband, so I pulled the Mutatwawwi'a Warlord  out of my box of 'extra Moors' and got to work on it. I told myself that if it turned out good enough, I'd enter it in the SAGA Thorsday painting contest.

The sculpt looks pretty cool, but it's a little boring, so I added the severed head to the base (from a Victrix Viking sprue) and bloodied up the blade.  Now he looks like he means business.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not this model is good enough for the contest.  The paint job is clean, but a bit too basic.  I have in mind a much flashier model that would would make a terrific Brute (Challenger), but it's not very "historical", so it may end up as a Challenger for the AoM version of this warband.  I'll put some paint on it, and submit the model that turns out the best.  Stay tuned.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:48:05 AM by Koyote »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2020, 06:56:51 AM »
How about adding some pattern to his tunic? That would jazz him up a bit.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2020, 07:22:23 AM »
How about adding some pattern to his tunic? That would jazz him up a bit.

That would work well!