Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685055
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 932
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 39446 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2021, 05:00:20 PM »
I've been thinking more and more about playing this warband as Mutatawwi'a. When I do so, I want to include a unit of auxiliary (mercenary) Borderers.  Their unit entry describes them as fierce and independent warriors who come from difficult to reach, mountainous regions.  Their special rule, Formidable, emphasizes familiarity with rough, rocky terrain by providing them an increase to their Armor when the unit is within uneven terrain providing solid cover.

Below is a unit of Borderers, assembled from the Perry Miniatures Afghan Tribesmen kit.  My preferred equipment choice for Borderers is javelins, so I've replaced some of their swords with metal javelins. In two instances the sword poses were too cool to get rid of, so I added a javelin to the models' shield hand.  To symbolize the Borderers preference for fighting in rough terrain, I've deviated a bit from standard recipe for this warband by adding large areas of rocky terrain to the bases.

I used Woodland Scenics Surface Rocks (C1231) rubber mold to cast the plaster-of-paris rocks.  This mold casts rocks that are much larger and thicker than what I need for basing these models, so I had to break them up and then shave them down with a hobby knife.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:24:51 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2021, 05:05:37 PM »
They look great! Some real cool sword poses in that set indeed.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2021, 05:14:10 AM »
I finished assembling my Muslim themed baggage and objective markers.  All that's left to do is to add texture to the bases, primer, and paint.

As I posted earlier, these baggage and objective markers are designed to be use in conjunction with one another for the Ambush scenario, or independently of one another.

The first baggage marker depicts a procession of drummers. The drums on the camel will be gold plated ceremonial drums with sacred significance to the Almoravid. 

The objective marker depicts one of the sacred drums and a dead drummer.  The casualty model used for this model is beardless, so I used GS to add a short beard, similar to that of the camel mounted drummer.

The second baggage marker depicts two Christian monks/priests and their captor, a Muslim warrior.  All three have paused to look at the remains of a long dead warrior. 

On the objective marker we see that the captor has been slain, and the remaining monk/priest is begging for mercy or giving a heartfelt thanks to his rescuers.  You can't see it from this angle, but I've added a conical helm to the top of the casualty's head to match the helm worn by the model on the baggage marker.

These models need more work. I plan to add chains to the monks/priests to more clearly indicate that they are prisoners.

The third baggage marker depicts a parade of armed warrior imams.  Their leader is holding aloft two relics, a small golden urn and a gold bound text. 

The objective marker depicts a slain imam.  The relics lie beside his corpse.  A vulture has swooped in a for a quick snack.

I used GS to add a forked beard and a band around the casualty model's forehead to match the headdress worn by the imam on the baggage marker.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2021, 08:27:56 AM »
These are brilliant, really like that you've designed them to work together as well as individually.

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
Fab conversion work on those vignettes  8)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2021, 04:19:47 PM »
Wonderful attention to detail.  Can't wait to see them painted up.  :-* :-*

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2021, 07:45:46 PM »
Behold, the new and improved baggage and objective markers.  Now with more arrows, chains, and manacles.

The arrows come from the Fireforge Games Living Dead Warriors kit.  It's such a great kit.  The arrows add a bit of height to the models and serve as an interesting detail.

The chains come from the GW plastic Flagellants kit.  Over the years I've gone to the well-o-bits that is the Flagellants kit, over and over and over again.  It has so many great heads, weapons, torsos, and extra bits.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:49:03 PM by Koyote »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2021, 11:33:53 PM »
You really understand the components which significantly add to base stands.  The end result from kit bashing or green stuff additions is really fantastic.  Looking forward to seeing these painted.
2024: B: 0; P: 43; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2021, 06:14:01 PM »
These lovely touches on the figures and bases, make your threads stand out head and shoulders above the pack.  Keep it up.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2021, 02:48:09 AM »
I can't wait to see these painted up. I love the way you make a story out of each base!

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »
I finished my Borderers (Age of Crusades mercenaries) armed with javelins.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2021, 05:37:41 PM »
Lovely muted colours.  :-* :-*

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »
They look very nice!

Steve

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2021, 05:59:05 PM »
Very sharp!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
Loving that look on them. Inspirational!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/