Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where do you buy your 'jungle' plants? For 10/15mm - First attempt on pg2  (Read 4307 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
As the title says really - where does anyone source jungle plants from?

I've read lots of threads around using cheap aquarium plastic plants, artificial plants from craft stores etc etc., which seems a good route for me, but trawling places like ebay everything I find seems to be 10-20cm tall or doesn't state how big they are (I guess in fish tanks matters of scale are less problematic? I could well be wrong!)

Considering I'm thinking scenery for 10-15mm I fear many would be rather large, for all that jungle undergrowth is quite large anyway, but I wondered whether anyone knows of any good specific sources - shops/ebay stores or suchlike - which you could point me to? Ideally which state how large things are.

I'm happy to enhance, paint and so forth, so cheap options are good  :D

Thanks!

Rob
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:37:04 PM by TheBlackCrane »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Where do you buy your 'jungle' plants? For 10/15mm
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 01:50:42 PM »
For small scales, good old garden moss is a winner. Soak it overnight in 50/50 water and glycerine with a splash of green ink to preserve it and stop the colour fading, then dry it thoroughly in a slightly warm oven. Then you should be able to store the stuff indefinitely.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:50:13 PM »
Inspired by Spacejacker's jungle terrain, I bought some soap dishes from Flying Tiger Copenhagen (TGR/Tiger)http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.com/2015/03/jungle-terrain.html

Skulltaker by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_20170517_210406_886 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 08:43:50 PM »
Gardening centers and interior decorating shops often have a section with plastic plants. IKEA also has some very good plastic plants.

It might be difficult to find some suitable for 10-15mm though.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 11:46:09 PM »
A store that sells aquarium supplies.
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 12:05:38 AM »
Model Railroad Supplies, online like on Ebay, you can get different sizes and styles of palm trees and plants. I'm  looking into a fake grass for reptiles as underbrush at pet stores as soon  as get home from  this trip.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:51:21 AM »
As ragbones says, a good first place to start is a store that sells plastic plants for aquariums - and also check out the sections for lizards and such.  Sometimes a better sources is a good craft store with plastic and silk plants (avoid the dried real ones, tend to by too mess for my tastes), keep a sharp eye out for items that are easy to adapt.  Just yesterday I drove the wife to a Michael's so she could hunt for things for her jewelry making hobby and I found a plant with plastic or silk leaves and lots of 'flowers' on spikes sticking out decorated with a bunch of tiny little beads.  I pulled off all the flowers to make nice bushes.  And I plan to spray them different colors to add variety.  Also check discount stores.  We have a chain called Ross out here and they usually have a section for plastic plants and I've found many useful items there.  Don't forget to scan the sections for kids toys, too; treasures can be found there occasionally.  More rarely those sections that have been selling 'fairy' furnishings might yield a find now and then, same store yesterday yielded up a couple of half off trees in autumn colors.  Oh, wait, those were in the Halloween decor area.   

I speak as a died-in-the-wool long time 15 mm aficionado.  Oh, and you can adapt model railroad products too, of course, but expect to pay more for those.

The main trick is too look past the item itself and look at its parts to see what can be used in the smaller scale.  A good hunter will bring home quite a bag of 'provender' for table decorating.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 03:58:18 PM »
Thanks all, I have ordered some aquarium plants to have a go with, so will probably end up putting the results of my chopping and rearranging up on here. I also managed to get hold of one of those saebeholders via ebay, so shall take that apart too and put it to use, and see what I can come up with.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 06:53:07 PM »
You can check out Aliexpress as well. They sell lots of different palm trees and trees as well, currently I'm debating on a lot of 100 pieces that are just over 2 inches tall each, for 27 USD, reason for this that not only I can use them as Palm Trees, you can remove the palms and use them as ground level palms as well.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 11:48:25 PM »
Was at the local SprawlMart yesterday and found a big kids set of dinosaurs that included one nice big rock formation, five trees, and nine little rocks.  Not exactly for jungle in my case since I will be using them for acacia trees in my plains of Africa setup.  Liked them so much I went back today and bought two more sets so I now have 15 trees, 3 rock formations (that look good before a repaint), and 27 solo rocks (that likely will be used as game markers of some sort because they don't really look like rocks).  For me, the iconic acacia tree is part of the opening credits of the television program Nature and these match nicely and scale well with my 15 mm giraffe herd.  I've heard tell that the reason acacia trees look like they do - at least the ones I want to replicate - is because giraffes graze them into that look.  These trees I bought have the foliage a bit above the heads of my adult giraffe so that is just grand.

But those trees could be easily adaptable for jungle trees.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 11:53:46 PM »
Usually? China, via amazon. Often works surprisingly easy. And you get bulks of them.

Gardening centers as some have said, aquarium plants not so much, oddly there quite expensive here at times.

Flying tiger also exists here in Germany, but seldom have plastic plants. But 1 pound shops/ 1 Euro shops sometimes have fitting stuff.

Model train shops have a wider variety, depends on cost though. Interior design shops and discounters have plants during seasons, such as for Christmas (christmas trees in plastic/ pine trees) or autumny leaves for Halloween (who look convincingly like jungle terrain after a coat of rattlecan colour).

"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »
You can also use fake eyelashes for tall sprouts of grasses for in and around  your terrain piece as well, you can pick them up for 1 USD in the dollar stores, they work well for both 15s  and 28s.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 06:42:53 PM »
If you need more Sæbeholders, I can buy them localy for about £3/pack + postage. Just send me a PM.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 02:39:27 AM »

I speak as a died-in-the-wool long time 15 mm aficionado.  Oh, and you can adapt model railroad products too, of course, but expect to pay more for those.

A dead sheep?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 03:05:23 AM »
As a devoted 10mm gamer, I make a lot of use of 6mm terrain (which leads into another debate nobody ever concedes an inch in). With vegetation in particular, this works well, since trees range from smaller than a man to towering arborial...well, towers, I suppose (no prizes for poetry today).  Don't worry too much about scale with your vegetable dishes.

I got all the palms I wanted some years ago, first as architectural models (pretty but pricey), then by checking out the tattiest plastic toy dinosaur sets in the local supermarket. Most of the pack was given away to local bratlings, but the trees were enough to make it very economical even so.

The big weekend market near my house has an extensive floral and decorative section with masses of plastic vegetation. I've got useful mimosa thorntrees from them by buying one bag of bits for foliage, then another collection of sprues that only needed to have ghastly plastic flowers popped off to turn them into good tree trunks. It's important to remember that soft plastic won't hold paint (those old enough to remember Airfix figures, you might need a drink to drown the memory), but it can be coloured with an indelible felt tip (on the table, black makes an acceptable trunk).

There's an American conservation company that makes very attractive souvenir fund-raiser deciduous trees.I'm afraid I bought stuff from them years ago, and have no memory of who they are.

Pines - check out cake decoration ranges.