Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689299
  • Total Topics: 118271
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Apostates of the Purple Cowl!  (Read 1188 times)

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
Apostates of the Purple Cowl!
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:22:40 PM »
I'll confess that there are many things I love about this hobby, but painting figures is not one of them, ironically (assembling multi-part plastic figures from sprues ranks below that). I love owning and playing with beautifully painted figures, but I have such deficits in time, patience, and skill that I would have been more than happy to keep paying my commission painter to paint the hundreds of miniatures I've been stockpiling since falling in love with miniatures gaming. He painted to a standard with which I was happy for a price I could readily afford. But alas, health struggles have forced him into early retirement.

Knowing that he won't be easily replaced, I've decided that I need to get over my reluctance and start to school myself in painting the mountain of lead miniatures. Because I don't love painting for the sake of it, a decent tabletop standard will be all I ever achieve, but I do want to hone my skill at speed and batch painting. I had a decent experiment in these areas when I ws inspired by Hobgoblin to paint a large group of 1/72nd scale lizardmen earlier in the year. When the Kickstarter arrived for my Dark Shadow Cultists a few weeks ago, I decided they were simple enough in design to be an ideal candidate for more speed and batch painting practice.

So, how did I fare with speed/batch painting these Dark Fable Miniatures? Read my thoughts and see more photos at my blog, Scrum in Miniature: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2019/09/apostates-of-purple-cowl-speed-and.html

Read more at Scrum in Miniature: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2019/09/apostates-of-purple-cowl-speed-and.html
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Apostates of the Purple Cowl!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »
Those are excellent. And I'm always impressed by folks that use clear bases.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks, Dentatus...you're very kind. The clear bases have two selling points for me: (1) it helps avoid the dilemma of the base not matching the terrain, and (2) it's just one less step for me to get these on the table than a more elaborate base would entail (thought I love what some folks do with their bases).

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 02:53:02 AM »
Very nice for the time spent! I think you've found a sweetspot.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:02:05 AM »
Well, I am someone who does enjoy painting miniatures, but don't enjoy learning new techniques. So even though my miniatures aren't badly painted by any stretch, I never really improved much after reaching my personal tabletop standard. I could put these on my table and you wouldn't notice they weren't painted by me.

What I am trying to say, for a speed paint sessions, these look just as good as mine. And I take time on mine.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »
empathise completely with what you say OP.
Very good standard achieved - should be encouraging to continue!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
Oh.  "Cowl."  Right, gotcha.  Totally misread thread title.  Had expected something more bovine-themed.  :)

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »
Great stuff! I always love a good set of cultists. Keep up the good work!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »
Yes, you've done a lovely job on them. Cultists are always fun. Is my memory playing tricks or did those sculpts used to be with Otherworld?

Thank you for sharing!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »
Oh.  "Cowl."  Right, gotcha.  Totally misread thread title.  Had expected something more bovine-themed.  :)

Actually, Apostates of the Purple Cow does get the mind whirring!  lol

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
Yes, you've done a lovely job on them. Cultists are always fun. Is my memory playing tricks or did those sculpts used to be with Otherworld?

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks! And you do indeed remember correctly that many of those cultists did start out at Otherworld. Dark Fable acquired the cultists from them and added a few more to the mix for a Kickstarter a few months back.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 09:22:07 PM »
Thanks! And you do indeed remember correctly that many of those cultists did start out at Otherworld. Dark Fable acquired the cultists from them and added a few more to the mix for a Kickstarter a few months back.

Huh, learn something new every day.  I thought they looked vaguely familiar, but, well, cultists do kind of look alike to a degree.