Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Ranger's Journey  (Read 24748 times)

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Re: A Ranger's Journey
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2021, 04:52:31 PM »
Dug out my fiends and heroes today and went down to the local club to play a (solo) game of Rangers of the Shadow Deep. Dusted off a scenario I wrote myself quite awhile back now called the Standing Stones, avaliable in the facebook group if someone feels inclined to play it. In a amusing circumstance I actually forgot to bring an actual ranger, having only put the monsters and chosen companions in my case. Thus Cedric Deravir, my enigmatic swordsman of the distant city states of Tollonia got a field promotion to lvl 1 ranger for the day. This did leave me one companion and 25 points down, we shall see if it would have made a difference!

It should be noted the quality of the photographs ended up being questionable at best, but I figured more fun to use them rather than not.

The Standing Stones

You have been sent to give aid to the town of Cresthill, a small town on the border of what once was the great realm of Lorenthia. It has taken a few days of travel although things have stayed relatively calm, the people you meet mostly consisting of refugees fleeing the growing taint of the Shadow. Mere hours away from the town itself one of you spot two strange jagged monoliths putting up towards the sky in the distance, as you approach you can feel the unease of the Shadow and spy two hulking sentries standing guardian over the fel stones.

Cedric was joined in this forray by Vernan himself, to make sure the truth of these tales of dread monoliths be ascertained, bringing with him knowledge of the Shadow and the creatured born from it. To lend his aid to the fight was the archer Derek Laval, his usual compatriot Charles left behind with Orwald to scout out other sightings of these strange pillars. A young boy from the local garrison, Davech, had also been conscripted. One of the few willing to brave the dread darkness in defence of his King and Country. Even as they approached the air grew thick with foulness, a rancid sensation which spoke only of the unnatural.

Even from afar they could see the giants, the dead of Lorenthia and the very land itself having been raised by the Shadow. Vernan gave warning against it, these golems as he named them were brutes of a singular mind, defenders of shrines most foul. Their very presence here proved their cause to be just he insisted, the pillar must be destroyed.

Cedric, resolute as ever sent Davech and Derek over on the eastern flank. They could all sense the urgency in the air as whatever dread sorcery was being done here grew more potent by the moment. They'd need to act quickly to destroy both. Vernan being certain he could speak the ancient words of destruction if he could only reach them. Cedric spoke the ancient prayer over his blade, a renowed heirloom to a near extinquished line. The steel had stood against the Shadow in the past, and tonight would again. (Enchanted Weapon).

As Cedric and Vernan approached on the western side, so did Davech on the eastern whilst Derek put his faith in his bow. And indeed his arrow struck true! Chipping stone and dirt from the monster of soil and bone, yet it stood still. It did not rise to the challenge. Tension mounted as on both sides they drew closer and closer, yet the guardians did not act. And as they prepared to charge, disaster struck.

A trio of Fiends emerged from the east, drawn to the gathering fel power of the stones. They let cry a frenzied howl as they first took note of Davech, stood alone and brave before the towering guardian. Before the youth could even turn to face them they were upon him, hacking with crude axes and swords. Even as battle joined the golem stood still, uncaring for even the fiends and the blood staining the ground. Davech stood not a chance against their terrible ferocity.

On the other side of the valley Cedric could give no aid to his comrade and so set his mind to the task at hand, with a battle cry he charged forth to challenge the guardian. His blade gleaming in defiance of the Shadow as they traded blows, and he struck true. Large chunks of rubble fell from the dread creation, yet the swordsman would not let it flee the cutting edge of his steel. His task was a simple one. Whilst they traded blows Vernan slowly climbed the ancient ruins, his hand reaching for his many tomes as he approached the stone itself. Here its nature of hatred and death was felt through his very soul, but he was not deterred. The symbols carved into the rock, offensive to his very eyes were known to him. He sought the word.

The ground shook as the ancient pact was undone, the stone cracked and crumbled before Vernan. Laid low by his ancient lore and with the stone fell its guardian, a saving grace as Cedric parried the creature's mighty blows in desperation to keep it locked in their deadly melee. Even as they tasted this victory the blood curling howls of the fiends made themselves known. Having laid Davech low two of the brutes were charging across the field towards them, the third having caught sight of Derek as the archer's arrows continued to miss their mark.

It was Orwald's avian companion that saved them, letting out a cry the large raptor swooped over the heads of the fiends and drew their attention away from Vernan and deeper into the woods. But only one of them proved so foolish, but this left a single fiend against Cedric's gleaming sword. A prospect which brought a smile to the grizzled warrior's lips. After a swift bout the creature proved too brazen to be swiftly slain and so with a great shove the swordsman forced it back, calling for Vernan to rush to the second stone. They could sense it now, a crackling fel force in the air. Vernan's lungs stung and his mind filled with darkness as he approached. The hulking guardian first now turning, sensing the presence of the living so close to its heart.

Cedric sprinted after the arcanist, putting himself between the scholar and the monster. The crackling energy around them making his muscles twitch, every move filled with agony as he brought his sword to bear. A desperate struggle, the fiend still on their trail would catch up to them any moment. Vernan's mind swam with foul whispers as he sought the words, they did not come. His body as if aflame yet his blood ran cold as he heard further howls of hunting fiends to the north.

In the south Derek fared little better, having drawn his dagger to face the fiend charging at him he was caught unawares by the hounds. Three of them, each the size of two grown men set upon him with wicked fangs and claws. In the desperate struggle that followed the young man proved himself by sticking his knife in the fiend's eye, laying the brute low before the hounds tore at his flesh.

Disaster followed, another trio of fiends emerged from the north. Their crazed crimson eyes set upon Vernan. The scholar was swarmed, yet proved himself a warrior to match any in Orwald's retinue even as the dark magic sent searing pain through his mind. Drawing his sword he turned and slew one of the fiend's with a single blow, forcing back another yet the third kept him pinned. The ground rumbling beneath their feet.

They had failed, with a final crack the sorcery of the stones were revealed and the very earth beneath their feet began to fall. Making way for the Shadow. A strange masked abomination making itself just known as Cedric called for them to flee! Vernan too turned, yet he proved too slow. Slipping upon the falling rocks it was the swordsman alone who emerged unscathed. His spirit battered by failure and shame.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »
 :D nice!!!

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2021, 10:37:32 PM »
Such a cool thread. Really love your second ( the big one ) golem and the horned one, great builds.  :)
Leadhead

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2021, 08:29:25 AM »
I hadn't read this and by co-incidence wrote a scenario yesterday morning for "The Stone Circle" which yes featured stones (standing and otherwise). :-D
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »
Great bat rep, scenery and nicely painted miniatures - what's not to love? Keep it up, and I am looking forward to your next RoSD outing.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2021, 03:07:06 PM »
Not quite for my Rangers campaign, but as a local has shown interest in Frostgrave recently I threw together a little warband. For it I needed a Large Construct, so I once again broke out the cork and filler.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »
Your cork Constructs are already a house special

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2021, 06:51:10 PM »
Sorry to dig this thread up, but it came up while I was searching for combinations of Bronze Age Miniatures and Frostgrave.

I was wondering how the Bronze Age stuff scales next to the Frostgrave plastics?  I love the Bronze Age barbarians, but they're listed as 32mm and I'm worried they'd look like giants amongst the rest of my collection.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2021, 02:30:35 PM »
Love that battle report. Always a treat to come back and read through this thread.

Any more games on the horizon?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2022, 10:18:19 PM »
Love the constructs and your paint scheme on those Ungor raiders!  And the writing, and...  lol

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2022, 11:37:03 AM »
great game.

lovely paint-jobs too.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2022, 02:04:55 AM »
Those cork constructs are inspired! I need some for my own games at the moment, so consider the idea firmly nicked!  :D

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2022, 04:04:22 PM »
Olsson, just if you happen to come back to this thread, I wanted to share this - I copied your approach to making earth constructs for a 10mm Storm Giant in Warmaster. It worked pretty well - not a scratch on yours but OK for a first effort. I'd definitely like to try again at 28mm. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 04:15:53 PM »
That's a great looking golem Tyr, you're much too kind with your praise. I quite like the moss, the third colour accent does wonders.

On the topic of cork consturcts, I did do another awhile ago that I wasn't quite happy with the shape of. But after a good few weeks I figured to paint it to have one less unfinished thing staring me in the eye on the desk. I may have posted a picture of it elsewhere but we'll all live seeing it again.

Miniature photography continues to be a struggle for me, likely due to my old phone and well, a general lack of understanding of how to make tiny things look good on camera.

After a period of little painting I have started putting some paint on the brush again, so perhaps we shall see some more things in here soon.

Thank you all for the kind words, my little venture into the Shadow Deep continues to be the part of my paltry work that people seem to take to the most.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2022, 05:50:02 PM »
Looks mighty fine to me, and I am sure it will look even better with a dab of paint on it.