Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690640
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Ranger's Journey  (Read 25104 times)

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Re: A Ranger's Journey
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2022, 03:23:29 PM »
Recently came into a new phone, as I was still clinging to a device from the dark ages of 2014 that meant I also had a quite old camera, and precious little know-how in how to use it. But this new one seems to have an easier time being able to focus on such tiny things as our dear miniatures. Took a few test photos today, and it's a monkey's paw if I ever saw one since it also puts my painting at full display.

Either way, here's one I took of Revna who remains one of my favourite paint jobs I've done.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2022, 04:03:34 PM »
Brilliant work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2022, 11:50:43 AM »
The 'up' side of that particular monkey's paw - you know where you want to improve :)

But from my point of view, your painting is excellent, it conveys mood and 'feel' really well and that's ultimately what it's all about at the end of the day (in my book anyway).

Where is Revna from? Bad Squiddo?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2022, 04:25:33 PM »
Revna is from Bronze Age Miniatures, they have a selection of viking warrior women that I find to have a lot of character. Is an archer lady there who I fully intend to get my mittens on one day.

I got myself some nice little camp set pieces from Terrain Crate many moons ago now, and gave some of it a rough and quick paint job for a scenario for Rangers of the Shadow Deep I worked on for awhile which saw the brave heroes ambushed in the middle of the night. Never showed them here so set up a little moody set piece today, together with a young hopeful ranger apprentice who I've not quite finished painting, but who was my first go at painting a printed miniature.

"Ever since the cutting failure at Cresthill Orwald and our company had been unable to seek shelter behind the pallisade of the border towns of lost Lorenthia. When the standing stones shattered the world more and more were lost to the Shadow, and what few were not have been put to the torch by the fiends that now roam in great bands through the woodland. Derek was still in danger of passing into the realm beyond, the tainted hounds having savaged him as only beasts are able. And so we hid in the woodland, upon the hidden paths known only to Orwald and his like.

The nights grew long."
-- Records of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2022, 05:00:12 PM »
Orwald's avian companion.

One of the first miniatures I painted for this project, but awkward to take pictures of.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2022, 08:26:14 AM »
All looking very good so far.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2022, 03:35:32 PM »
"[[...]] so I ask you what sort of man or woman would answer the call of the King's Rangers, knowing in the hearts the dread fate that awaits all that stand defiant in the face of the Shadow?
 With every dawn more rangers fall to the thirsting steel of the fiends, and the taint of the land spreads further into our realm. Shall our land suffer as did Lorenthia? Will we abide it? Nay!"
-- Orwald Redtree

Lawrence Lordamere

"He's fearless, I'll give him that. But it isn't a compliment. He's more zealot than warrior, more fool than brave. I hear before he signed up with the King's Rangers he ran with the cults.
 You know the ones that have been spreading through the realm ever since we heard of Lorenthia. Proclaiming it the wicked scourge set upon us for our sins.
 Can you believe it? Thinking there is a divine will behind those monsters? I can't stand him. But he fights. And Orwald doesn't listen to me on that front."
-- Shiren Gilnen

Shiren Gilnen

"I don't see why Orwald chose to take her with us. She might know how to swing a sword, but she lacks the will.
 Only a soul full of virtue and certain in the righteous nature of its cause can hope to stand against the Shadow.
She will break, I know she will. She might pretend at pragmatism, at skill and at courage. But she lacks faith.
That is what will nurture our souls as we dare to tread into the dark. There reason will not avail us. She's not got the stuff of a Ranger in her.
Not like I."
-- Lawrence Lordamere

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2022, 03:14:52 PM »
great stuff.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2022, 07:44:39 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. Been spending some time recently planning to make myself some fairly basic board, probably just a 2x2 or a 3x3 to play some at home. I am sorely lacking in fantasy terrain sadly, so it shall be a slow path to stock up on it I suspect. But next up is my conjurer.

Wayfaren

"While most of the esteemed wizardry of the realm are kept away in the distant north, the needs to face the enroaching Shadow is dire.
 And so we have turned to the conjurers and tricksters who work outside the esteemed schools of sorcery.
Wayfaren is one such soul, claiming to be a man of but petty power and some small tricks.
 We first came upon the man together with a party of refugees soon after the fall of Lorenthia.
 Many of us thought him an agent of the dark. Lawrence still does, indeed he swears the man is thick with devilry.
While I suspect he is no sinister soul, I do have my doubts as to his supposed petty powers.
"

-- Cedric Deravir

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2022, 07:58:51 PM »
Very nice, love the vibe

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2022, 12:24:04 PM »
 8) way cool!!!!!

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2022, 06:19:41 PM »
The Pig Fiend

"Vernan has told me they're animals, but he is wrong. He's a scholar and surely wise, but he has not faced one, fought one. We smelled it, before we saw it. And in a place so foul as the heartlands of the Shadow that should put anything you can imagine to shame. Its scent was warm and sharp, the sickening mixture of sweat and manure from a towering beast.Back then we didn't know the scent, and so we were ignorant until the moment it came charging through the brush. In the blink of an eye Otto was impaled upon one of the great tusks, I swear it was longer than the man was tall. It squaled like a pig as it mauled us, each thick limb ending in five claws. Like the twisted mockery of a man's hand. It took three of us with it, before it finally fell. Its thick hide pierced by no less than twelve arrows and the skull cloven by Revna's axe. It was feasting upon Otto when we took its life, its long snout buried deep in the man's guts. Vernan assures me it is but an animal, he thinks it a boar that has been changed by the Shadow's fel powers.
But I ask you, what damn pig has rows and rows of sharp teeth."
-- Tyko

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 01:40:23 PM by Olsson »

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
Updated the photos of my previous post, managed to snag some better ones. Daylight is slowly returning to the north, rejoice.

Here are some clue and treasure markers I made a good while back. I suspect in the future I shall have to make some more, and seperate the clues from treasure more clearly. But they look better than little cardboard tokens to my eyes on the board.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2022, 06:54:42 PM »
The Pig Fiend is like something straight out of Darkest Dungeon. I love it.

Great work on the clue/treasure markers too. I don't think they always need to be super ornate or overly stylised, yours do the job just perfectly.

Where are you at in terms of systems these days? Mainly sticking with RoSD or anything else caught your eye?

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2022, 03:40:34 PM »
That pig fiend is a truly scary creature - definitely one you would not want to meet in a dark alleyway.

The clue/treasure markers are very nicely done and will look great on your tabletop.