Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Ranger's Journey  (Read 24755 times)

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Re: A Ranger's Journey
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Here are some other photos of the ranger as requested. I am struggling with taking ones with proper focus however, seem to have forgotten how I did it before.

Brynja Mord

Brynja counts among the small band of fierce warriors that descended from the mountains following Revna Dal and her prophecy. A willful woman, favouring a great axe before any other form of arms.
 The way she throws herself into battle is a frightful sight to behold, indeed there is something desperate in her spirit, desperate for what I cannot imagine.
 She seeks out the fiends of the Shadow with a purpose beyond mere loyalty to her chief.
 As to what it is that drives her, I dare not ask.

--- Records of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan

A Savage I pained up awhile back, some of you might have seen her elsewhere but figured she's well worth having in this thread as well. Nothing fancy about this one at all, just the Frosgrave Soldiers sprue and painted up in the unifying green that binds most of my ranger party together. I was running out of the small tufts back then, so put bigger and bigger ones on there. Something I almost regret now looking back, it looks a bit silly.

Brand

Couldn't tell you a damned thing about the man. Reckon he might be Revna's lad, but if he is. Well I feel sorry for her. Man barely talks, have heard maybe a dozen words out of him since he came waltzing down the mountain. Never seen his face neither, can't right trust a man who won't show his face. Always wearing that helmet. Vernan tells me it's something to do with their gods up there, some penance to not remove it 'til he's fulfilled some sworn promise to the divine.
 Can't say I give a rat's arse about some mountain gods, but the man's got a strong arm. And he listens to the lady.

-- Orwald Redtree, Ranger of the King

Another rather simple toss up, this time Frostgrave Soldier body with arms and helmet from Oathmark Human Infantry. I'm a big fan of the helmet. The shield's a simple roundshield, but it's from the Oathmark dwarves. Got it by trading with a friend of mine. This one didn't have the usual ranger colouring because originally I didn't paint him for this project, but as I developed the background for Revna I felt he could fit into that ragtag band easily.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 11:49:39 AM »
Any updates to this marvellous log? Saw it'd been a while and thought I'd post! I shared pictures of your amazing Elementals recently with some acquaintances as they're bloody awesome. Hope you've been keeping well during the global embuggerance.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Westloar

• Student
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 05:00:14 PM »
Love to see some updates!

New here, but already glad I joined, I'm going to need to create a stone golem for some upcoming Frostgrave scenarios and your miniatures from the first few posts are inspirational, definitely going to get my hands on some cork!!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 05:38:43 PM »
Lots to love in this thread, great work! I particularly like Revna.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
Arcanist Vernan

"It will always be a challenge for an author to introduce himself in his own work, but so I must. The Record of the Shadow is a record of my own journey as much as that of the encroaching darkness. Before my introduction to Orwald my life had been one of study in the towers of scholars, the Shadow was a thing of legend and the realms beyond. A field of little importance, and as much as I proclaim my expertise the fall of Lorenthia shocked me as much as any other. I had not grasped the scope of it even as the King summoned me to his hall, indeed I fear I still have not grasped the depths of the Shadow even now. I fear no man ought."

--Record of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan

I had fallen off the hobby a bit during last year, as many others have but came back to it recently. These were very kind words to return to. Decided to make a return with the narrator himself, Vernan. Had a bit of a struggle taking a half decent photo of this man.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
Fiends

[...] unlike them the lessers are craven and of small stature, lacking the brute strength of their kin they strike from the shadows and from afar. While they proved no danger to Orwald and my fellow companions when found in few numbers, they rarely were. And as we had to learn the hard way, every nick and cut left by the creatures needs to be tended to by a healer. I dare not conjecture as to what filth they use to poison their arrows, but it was too late for young Arnold when we first realised.

--Record of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:55:19 PM by Olsson »

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 09:19:00 AM »
Looks good, what kind of miniatures are the fiends?

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »
They're Ungor Raiders from Games Workshop.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 06:19:34 PM »
Hounds

"[...] howling kept us all up and on edge through the night. Some think they're hounds tainted by the Shadow. I ain't so sure, I have seen the low cunning in their red eyes. I think they're just as clever as the fiends themselves, just because they've four legs and don't wield steel folk think they're dumb animals. I reckon they're just another form of fiend, perhaps it's what they all were once, eh? Before they started eating us."

-- Orwald Redtree

Some of the old metal Chaos Warhounds from Warhammer Fantasy Battle. They truly are leagues beyond the current warhounds in my eyes, sad as I am to say it. A lot of character and motion in these beasts. With them done I just need to paint up a few tents and then I am going to try playing through a scenario I sketched up where Orwald and his brave band are ambushed in their camp during the night. What hunters would go without their hounds to track down prey.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 08:45:57 PM »
They're Ungor Raiders from Games Workshop.
Thanks!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 08:49:22 PM »
Those hounds are superb miniatures. Your painting makes them especially so. Great work.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2021, 07:14:13 PM »
Kind words.

Morket

""[...] and it was there we first came upon the brute I'd come to know as Morket. A towering creature even amongst the fiends, it ruled its brethren through brute strength and lent them a cunning beyond their base unnatural lusts. A cunning we'd come to learn was granted by a will still more terrible."

-- Records of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 04:54:34 PM »
A very much welcomed return to the hobby. I don't know which of your latest entries I fancy the most.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2021, 09:09:37 PM »
Very kind, Reed. Hoping to manage to play an actual game sometime soon, it's been quite awhile. But I've been enjoying painting in the meanwhile, photography is proving more of a struggle!

Sorcerer

"The name of the sorcerer shall not be marked down for posterity. It is the only fate fitting for a soul so foul to be forgotten, and the darkness he wielded to be gone with him.
 Neither shall I speak of his might, terrible as it might have been, lest men of weak will be lured by tales of power. Merely let my record tell that he walked with the Shadow and was returned to it through fire and steel."

-- Records of the Shadow by Arcanist Vernan

Offline AxolotlQuestions

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2021, 09:42:15 PM »
I love the paintjobs and the lore!