Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HeroQuest fully painted [PICS]  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
HeroQuest fully painted [PICS]
« on: October 02, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
Hello all, I haven't been posting pictures here in years but I've been getting back into the hobby for the past year after some years of (very) low activity. With a quickly growing daughter I decided some time ago it would be a good thing to paint up my set of HeroQuest. And so I did. I started with the Orcs (for some reason these seemed to me to be the most trouble) and gradually went through all the monsters, followed by the heroes and the furniture.

Without further ado, here are the pictures:

The whole bunch in a big picture. HeroQuest is only 35 models so while it seems like a lot, painting it is actually pretty doable. Of course the furniture adds to it and I painted the door stands as well. But if you put your mind to it it's not an impossible feat at all.

Here are the heroes. I went for a quick paint job on all models and these were given two drybrushes with brown over the black undercoat to work as a basis. You can see it on various areas of the models and it ties them together as a group.

As said I painted the orcs first with green drybrushes and washes. I chose some simple colours to make them look somewhat colourful and not too dark (I wanted to preserve a bit of child-like charm).

The goblins are more of the same, but they are smaller and there are fewer of them.

For the chaos models I chose black, brass and red as unifying colours. I considered the Fimir as chaos too in this respect. Lots of drybrushes again. I'm not too fond of the effect on the chaos warriors but it suffices.

The undead were easy as I already had my set ways of painting everything. For the bases I chose to paint them as it looks good and seemed like the least effort: no further converting or glueing necessary.

Lastly I painted the furniture and door stands. I glued everything together after painting and touched up the cardboard here and there with paint. It's quite a bit of items all in all but having the furniture painted makes all the difference on the game board.

After this ordeal I painted an extra set of green models (not pictured) and used KR MUlticase foam trays to store everything in the original box (also no pictures).

I hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:32:34 PM by Pil »
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: HeroQuest fully painted [PICS]
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 11:06:35 PM »
That is a great set of figures, well done.

HQ is still a great game, plays as well and gives as much fun now as it ever did.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 01:47:47 AM »
Great job.  Just reminds me how disappointed I was every time I opened a game like that to realize the pieces were not painted! (particularly if they were shown painted on the back of the box!)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 06:45:46 AM »
Cracking job, I particularly like that you painted the furniture.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »
Nice to see you here again and what a comeback  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »
what a wonderful looking collection.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 12:41:41 PM »
This is so inspirational!

It's been a long held dream of mine to repaint all of my Hero Quest miniatures from back in the day. I originally did them with Revell enamels, but they are now in use as-is every now and then when I play the game with my 6 year old.

I also started collecting the entire range of miniatures in metal, with the plan of replacing all the plastic minis with (nicer) metal ones, but I never did find all the required replacements (although I'm pretty close now, probably). Part of the grand scheme was also replacing the cardboard playing board with a textured one, with 2.5D walls. Here I struggled with the doors, as those would have to be able to fit over the (representative) walls. But now, with a 3D printer in the house, I just might be able to design and print my own...

Anyways; your work is great. It's always lovely to see an entire game painted up to a good standard :)

I especially love the stonework on the altar and tomb; I might very well copy that. The stonework on the bases is very nice too. Care to divulge how you did those?

And any plans to also do the expansions? (if you have them, obviously)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:43:21 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
Great job!

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
Absolutely stunning job! I’m painting up my own set at the moment, and have to say it’s quite a challenge getting the furniture to look right!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
Beautifully painted!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »
Great job.

I painted my Heroquest last year but I have not done the furniture or the door stands. But I really should get on with it.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
Thanks all! Itl's nice ro see all the comments and I get what a lot of people are saying or considering. It's tempting to replace the models/furniture/board with something new but I went for the simple solution. I think it preserves all the character that we so love of this game and to be fair: none of these models will ever find a better place than on a HeroQuest board. They would be rear-rankers in Warhammer at best and even that would take extra effort. To all those who are working on this I would say: start small, it's enough work as it is. You can always replace components later.

As to the expansions: I painted Kellar's Keep and I have enough models for Return Of The Witch Lord. I decided on not painting those as I had no motivation. Also, I don't have the rules and tiles, so I can paint the models anyway if I ever get that far.

Since I don't have the other expansions I didn't delve deeper.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 06:52:24 PM »
All the expansions are available here at Ye Olde Inn... http://english.yeoldeinn.com/system.php

I think they should have everything you need.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »
Thanks lost egg! I will surely use that resource when the time comes but the first bottleneck is actually getting the first games done. It'll take years if I want to do them with my kid. Next step for the final expansions (wizards or Morcar an Ogre Horde, the rest I don't count) might be actual models if available. Suitable proxies should be no problem anyway as our hobby is full of them.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »
Hell yeah Pillie, good to see you're back and pumping out your painting goodness. Excellent stuff. I've been painting some Heroquest too during the last years for our (René and me) adventures in Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow Deep. And yes, I will probably play it too with my kids soon :D
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”