Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:22:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1917 Film  (Read 11699 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: 1917 Film
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
In my humble opinion, an stupid story in a boring movie. In the same line as "Dunkirk", I think.
Well said Juan! But sorry If I partially disagree with you. Dunkirk is the most stupid and boring war film ever made ..maybe even the most stupid film produced since the brother lumières first production 😄😄.maybe we all should be expected, nowadays ,  to label those 2 films as “art”🙏😂..but while Dunkirk seemed to be directed by a child in his parent’s bathroom or kitchen with a smartphone this one ,1917, seen to have been filmed by an enraged stupid child with a more sophisticated smartphone
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:48:46 PM by italwars »

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2020, 06:58:37 PM »
maybe we all should be expected, nowadays ,  to label those 2 films as “art''
Well they quite clearly are art.
Neither film is a documentary.
They're made up stories created by directors, cinematographers and actors. Art

Whether you consider them to be good or bad art is, of course subjective.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
As for issues of diversity, I'm not getting into that other than to say I was really pleased to see a Sikh soldier on screen in a film of this setting. Long overdue

What is now “overdue” is to comply with the moderator suggestion to not to try to derail or enflame the discussion with political opinions

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »
Well they quite clearly are art.
Neither film is a documentary.
They're made up stories created by directors, cinematographers and actors. Art

Whether you consider them to be good or bad art is, of course subjective.

I understand your opinion but nobody pretend a film to be identical to a documentary ...indeed the documentaries are, in many cases, even very boring..but a war movie transformed in something only simbolist or abstract is quite weird in my opinion..and personally I associate “art” to something beautiful that entertain our eyes and ears ..which , in my very isolated opinion, that film doesn’t

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
What is now “overdue” is to comply with the moderator suggestion to not to try to derail or enflame the discussion with political opinions

Im not sure that was what i was doing.

Apologies to the mod team if that was the case.

Thanks for your high handed response though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:23:44 PM by Sir_Theo »

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2020, 11:38:06 PM »
I see 1917 has just won the BAFTA for best film  :)

Seeing it again next week  :)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:58 AM »
I was thinking of locking this Topic but I would appreciate not to give in to early.
Thanks
Björn
, ,

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
I was simply thrilled by the film. The atmosphere was well reproduced. The landscape in its diversity, the constantly exhausted and completely tired faces of all the actors.
The only point of criticism, the behaviour of the German pilot was very disturbing. He is rescued from the wrecked plane by "two" British soldiers. He is terribly afraid to die and the only thing he can think of is stabbing one of the two helpers. Only to be shot by the second rescuer.
That bothered me a lot.

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2020, 12:18:08 PM »
I was simply thrilled by the film. The atmosphere was well reproduced. The landscape in its diversity, the constantly exhausted and completely tired faces of all the actors.
The only point of criticism, the behaviour of the German pilot was very disturbing. He is rescued from the wrecked plane by "two" British soldiers. He is terribly afraid to die and the only thing he can think of is stabbing one of the two helpers. Only to be shot by the second rescuer.
That bothered me a lot.

That was the only weakness in the plot for me. I thought mentioning it though might be a spoiler for some.

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
Aii, I didn't think of that. Big apology.
Just read all the time who has already seen the film and I didn't think that there is still someone who wants to see it.
Sorry for that.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2020, 01:41:31 PM »
I  must still see the film, but I was quite interested by a short making-of I saw last week.

Because in it they show how they planned the scenes in a destroyed village at night, with flares going up and descending again, painting everything in an eerie, constantly moving light. In order to plan their one continuous shot, they had to carefully orchestrate the flares and their trajectories, to coincide with the camera's position and facing.

And they used a miniature model of the entire (visible) village for this, all built to scale on a table, with lamps on rails describing the required flare paths.

It was quite interesting to see, and I would certainly have liked some more close-ups and a look at the details, as that could be very educational for us as miniature terrain builders... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »
That bothered me a lot.

I'm one of the (apparently) few who have not seen the film, so I can't be sure what point the scene you describe is attempting to convey. However, your description reminds me of a scene in The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968) where, in the aftermath of the Alma, a British soldier offers a wounded Russian some water: rather than accepting this, the Russian shoots him with a pistol, and is immediately shot (or bayonetted) by another British soldier. The onlooking Nolan turns his head away in disgust. It's a very long time since I've seen the film, but that's the scene which has stayed with me above all others. I think you're meant to be bothered, as Nolan was.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2020, 01:01:12 AM »
The film's done well at the BAFTAs with seven awards, I'm glad it did, it's a great cinematic experience.

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2020, 05:22:12 PM »
Corrected.
Nice uniforms and trench systems.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:20:19 PM by Juan »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2020, 06:17:05 PM »
Sorry I did nt say that Art is subjective ..a child drawing and a wall graffiti arenot Art..The Italian film Mediterraneo is art, the British movie about SCW “Tierra y Libertad” is art ..art postulate some traditionally well known codes and frames ..1917 is not art..it s a roughly directed comics with grotesque characters that pretend to be , according to producers agenda, “good boys”..I know that majority of people will be against me..but the very therm “subjective” when related to art, science ecc..it’s a wrong and meaningless  one...nothing is subjective ...relativism If applied also to art will Kill art
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:21:48 PM by italwars »