Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:35:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LPL13 Leaderboard - Final Results  (Read 52290 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: LPL13 Leaderboard - Final Results
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
Just get new valves for it  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »
Thanks for the congrats. Pulper nearly had me there, and I think any of your other teams, Matt, and you would have edged it against my Vichy French in round 2 too.
But as everyone says, it's not really the winning so much as taking part in a great community event, and getting lots of stuff painted. So well done to everyone that took part and stood the pace, wherever you finished up in the league. It is, if nothing else, a learning experience, and it's amazing to see how most people's LPL output gets better and better over time.

It does disappoint a little, that with an alleged 8,200+ LAF members, we get such a relatively small number of participants, and (worse really), only around 200 people a week bother to vote on the matches. That's a little over 2% of LAF members. Go back a few years and the numbers for both participants and voters were much higher - well over twice those numbers in both cases.

Still, the LPL is now fairly well-known as a bit of a mountain to climb and requires a great deal of perseverance and spare time, so it's not altogether surprising that people don't always want to commit. I've ducked a couple myself down the years. The lack of interest from voters amongst the LAF membership in general is a bit harder to explain, other than to presume that while the number of forum members has gone up, that doesn't necessarily translate into increased levels of engagement or participation. I conclude that these days the forum has rather more spectators and rather fewer participants than in days gone by, and I think this is evident in other ways too. But c'est la vie. Nothing stays the same - the centre cannot hold.

Personally, I still think the LPL is worth holding though, for all the good reasons mentioned above, so I'd be up for another league in 2020.
I do think more notice (like a couple of months at least) would help, allowing people to get a few teams under their belts before the off. So we'll definitely aim to do that next time out :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »
I have participated in a couple leagues, and yep, as the Captain has said, they can be a real struggle to get through.

I have viewed every single entry in every single League that I can remember.

However, after a number of years I have stopped voting on the entries. To me, everyone who participates is a winner and I just don't want to have to say this one is better than that one anymore. Perhaps, views is a more appropriate way to evaluate the league...

Congrats to all participants! I really enjoyed this year's LPL.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2019, 02:16:46 PM »
Fair point Ray. Maybe others share that philosophy too, and that partly explains it :)

Offline verd

• Scientist
    • El Senyor Verd
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »
Congratulations to the winners, organisers and all who took part. Great show!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »
I used to often not vote over the years (getting angry whenever someone suggested it was my duty to vote in every single match-up), but my perspective has changed a bit lately. I know just how much effort goes into participating, and I feel the least I can do is show my support and appreciation by clicking on a button. In those cases where I really can't separate them I will these days vote anyway (in the past I would have not cast a vote), either at random or by showing them to a third party and asking for their decision.

I'm surprised by how often once I've clicked I find myself in the minority, and voting for the losing side, though. I guess it's good we all like different things.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »
Congratulations to all that entered. I tried to vote in each round, but think I missed one. I thought the entries were fantastic with loads of inspiration for us mere mortals.

Tony

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2019, 06:39:27 PM »
Good on you Tony  8)

I don't believe it's anyone's duty to vote. If people look but choose not to vote - for whatever reason - that's absolutely up to them. I'm sure there's a good number of people who do just that.
My reflection on the relatively low number of voters in the last couple of LPLs (like 200 people instead of 500 people) was really about a suspicion on my part that, these days, most people just don't bother to look in the first place.
Not much that one can do about it - or even that one should do about it.
It was just an observation about the ever-changing nature of participation in this community of ours :)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2019, 07:57:19 PM »
Well done again Richard, you are the Micheal Schumacher of the LPL.

Excellent paintwork and pictures.  :-*

Stay off the skis  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2019, 11:02:20 PM »
I'm definitely interested in taking part again.  I had a blast.

For voting, for me at least, it was difficult in some cases because I couldn't really see the miniatures with so much going on in the backgrounds.  The miniatures themselves were sort of drown out.  In other cases, it was just plain impossible to select which was better than another, as both would be perfect.  In those cases I generally fell back to what I personally find technically difficult to paint, and went with whoever was able to pull that off in a way that I'd like to be able to do.

For number of participants and voters, I used to work in a marketing department for a catalogue/website retailer.  A 2% return to a customer survey would have been considered a huge success, so I wouldn't worry much about the number of participants vs. the number of forum users.

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2019, 03:49:13 AM »
The voting has always been interesting. I have often wondered why some matches have 200 votes and others 175.
I too have been occasionally surprised when my vote turns out to be in the minority.  What were the rest of you thinking?  lol

If LPL keeps a few hundred people entertained and 50 or so people painting that is a good thing.  :)

For member numbers, are they ever aged out? TMP marks it's users as inactive after awhile and when you look at an older thread where almost everyone is inactive, you wonder how many active users any of our hobby forums have year to year.  Not saying anyone should do anything about it (people often return to their hobbies) but total member numbers might be a bit misleading.   

2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2019, 10:29:11 PM »
Just speaking for myself, I do not read everything on this forum and just check in every so often and view the couple of boards that cater to my current interests. Perhaps this might go some way to explain the numbers? If you are looking for inspiration on, say, 15mm Napoleonics, why would you go to a board where the figures on display could be from any genre?
I only viewed one of the later LPL rounds out of idle curiosity when it popped up in the recent posts thread. I am glad I did as it was great to see the obvious enthusiasm and care that had gone into the entries. 
After that I had a look every so often (when I remembered) to see if another round had appeared, but reading this thread I actually don't think I appreciated how much the act of voting is clearly seen as appreciation by the competitors (whether or not the vote is for their entry). I will be sure to vote in each match in the future!
I would love to enter next time (despite my skills being far below those of Captain Blood and the others) but I am wary of committing to something that I might not have time to do justice to. Perhaps I should start to paint batches of potentially suitable figures now...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2019, 07:09:40 AM »
I try & see/vote for every post. Often it is very difficult to choose between the two,
so I have taken to the fall back position, 'If they were to give them away which would
I rather have?' Not really 'fair' but what judging is? Personal choice IS a big factor.

I too agree that more lead in time, to get some painting done before the start, would
help increase numbers of entries, but I am happy looking at all the nice pictures.
I also have (sometimes) been surprised to find my vote in with the minority, but it
would be a very dull world if we all liked the same thing.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »
The lead in time is definitely important, though this year I suppose we weren't sure it was going to happen at all. We also wanted to be done by Christmas as we figured people either wouldn't want the intrusion, or wouldn't want carrying over the holidays into the new year. Especially not when that's BSC territory (see the announcement in Workbench).

Offline tsar1701

• LPL Silver Medalist (S3), Bronze Medalist (S8)
  • Scientist
    • tsar's universe (in french)
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2019, 11:38:01 AM »
Once again, it was a great plesure for me to participate to the league.

I'm proud of my 4th place, even if I miss the podium  ;)
Captain Blood, Dr mathias, Pulper, you're great painters  o_o :-*

And many thanks to our referee Steven.

See you on season 14 (I hope)
N.V.C. (Never Victorious Chris)