Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:14:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)  (Read 14752 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »
There’s a vulture overhead!  Shoot it down!...

https://youtu.be/3mX8I8JWnx0

My 3rd battle!  The Bridge Guards...a close call and a nail biter!

I thought it would be a good idea to have archers making sneak attacks for this scenario, so I left Schmedly the Templar and Baldrick, a recruit, at the tavern, and hired Leatherberry and Dingleberry, two twin archers.

The plan failed, since it was hard to stay concealed long enough to make it worth while, and when the fighting started, I could have really used more muscle.

The game started off famously, with Flewdurr, Jane, Rebecca, Sir George (the hound), and the Berry brothers sneaking across the board while the goblins wandered aimlessly about bumping into each other (too many magic mushrooms?).

Once a goblin stumbled onto Flewdurr the alarm was raised and the desperate fight began.  At first, the gang was performing brilliantly, killing goblins left and right.

Then things turned sour!  Leatherberry was the first to fall.  Even though almost all the goblins were dead, one of the last was a tough little bastard who began killing off companions one by one, even though he was grievously wounded himself...and then a vulture passed by overhead, and our Flewdurr knew things were dire.

When the last of the companions fell, and Flewdurr was all alone, he made a mad dash for the unguarded treasure by the camp sight, with 2 remaining goblins close behind.

Barely getting there in time, he found a set of heavy armor (ironically, that would have to be given to Schmedley at the tavern) and a stupid book of poorly written poetry.

On the 10th turn Flewdurr dashed off the table, one turn before the vulture would have made it...the sole survivor!

Thankfully, later that night, as Flewdurr sat eating some sausage and tomatoes by his campfire, his companions all showed up...each of them making a full recovery.  Too bad Flewdurr only made enough food for 1.

Note to self:  make some wound counters with numbers on them to reduce clutter.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:46:18 AM by grubman »
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »
Though a tricky game it sounds like a fun one...it's odd but I always kinda enjoyed it when things went tragically wrong :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2019, 07:50:22 PM »
Though a tricky game it sounds like a fun one...it's odd but I always kinda enjoyed it when things went tragically wrong :D

Yep...Flewdurr was half dead as well...fortunately he wasn’t engaged and had a clear shot (and just enough movement) to get the goods and get off the board before dying (or the vulture reaching the edge of the table...don’t know what that would have meant yet, but I'm guessing not good).

So close to failure!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
If anyone cares...the project isn’t losing any impetus, just had to work my “day off” this week, so time has been limited.

The next scenario takes us into the “dungeon”, so I’ve been spending what little time I have meticulously drawing thousands of bricks.

I was going to build all the furniture from scratch, but with free time at such a premium, I ordered a Mantic Terrain Crate off of Amazon.

All in all, doubtful if I’ll be ready for a game this weekend. :(

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2019, 11:15:00 AM »
That's a shame mate but the terrain looks cracking so far, keep up the good work.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
Making dungeons are major undertakings, no doubt.

Where did you pick up your foam?

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2019, 02:12:27 PM »
Making dungeons are major undertakings, no doubt.

Where did you pick up your foam?

Home Depot (USA)...about 5 minutes up the road :). All the good gaming happens overseas, but at least pink foam is common in the USA.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
Do you buy it in huge sheets? I feel like every time I look I can buy 3" foam sheets in 4x8' sections, but all of that is a bit above and beyond for my needs. I haven't seen thin sheet like you have. I may not fully understand where to look, I suppose.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2019, 04:41:50 PM »
Do you buy it in huge sheets? I feel like every time I look I can buy 3" foam sheets in 4x8' sections, but all of that is a bit above and beyond for my needs. I haven't seen thin sheet like you have. I may not fully understand where to look, I suppose.

Yeah, I think it’s like 50’ long (folded like a concertina) , about $40USD.  Lasts forever though, ha ha.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
Well... if it lasts forever... lol

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »
Well... if it lasts forever... lol

Forever...until it’s gone ;)

I’ve used 2 “sheets”...got about 10 more, and I’ve built all the stuff on this thread plus 3 large ruined buildings for Frostgrave.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
Forever...until it’s gone ;)

I’ve used 2 “sheets”...got about 10 more, and I’ve built all the stuff on this thread plus 3 large ruined buildings for Frostgrave.

What is the thickness? What department did you find it in?

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »
What is the thickness? What department did you find it in?

It’s 1/4 inch.  It’s with all the other styrofoam.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »
Humbling is when you are feeling really good about your rendition of a scene...

...and then you see somebody else’s rendering of the same scene! :O

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
Da Vurm!!

So I finished my dungeon floor and walls, but I’m waiting on some dungeon terrain I ordered to play my next game.

So rather than sit around doing nothing, I took a look at what I need to get painted for the following mission...and the Burrow Worm became my focus.

I already had the D&D purple worm I used for Frostgrave, and I have another one from Alternative Armies...but I didn’t really like either.  I don’t like the size or dynamic.

So...I figured, despite my lack of sculpting skill, I might be able to do this.  So...here’s the result.  I actually really like this.  It’s what I imagined when I read the monster description.

I know, nothing spectacular, but...