Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)  (Read 14747 times)

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Rangers of Shadow Deep (Flewdurr’s epic quest)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
I very much appreciate the old-school aesthetic of this thread, though those Irregular zombies are not my cup of tea.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »
I’ve been working at a feverish pace to make houses for the first scenario (oh...how many Warhammer houses I gave to past friends I wish I had Bach, ha ha).

I’ve got 3 done (all made of styrofoam) and decided (tired of drawing bricks and shingles for a while) that the 4th building will be a ruined chapel, and use a building I already built for a Frostgrave game that never happened...figured the village was built up around this sacred place.

Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
I very much appreciate the old-school aesthetic of this thread, though those Irregular zombies are not my cup of tea.

Ha ha, a LOT of stuff I like isn’t to other people’s taste...as is obvious with the direction most modern miniatures have taken.  Too big, too much detail (just for detail sake...I mean, nobody wears all those ornate clothes on the battlefield or adventuring), to realistic, too dramatic of poses.  Honestly, 75% of the “new” miniatures I see come out aren’t MY cup of tea.  But, I understand, different strokes...makes the world a fun place :)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »
Cracking job with the houses, are you planning on adding any furniture inside? No idea if thats needed for the game or not.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »
Cracking job with the houses, are you planning on adding any furniture inside? No idea if thats needed for the game or not.

Probably not (yet).  I’m trying to get everything I “need” done si I can play this weekend on my day off.  The building are a little “tight” inside anyway, ha ha.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 10:46:09 AM »
:D Well there is an easy explanation...in the Shadowdeep its darn chilly and with monster prowling around the woods the furniture is the first thing on the fire :D

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »
:D Well there is an easy explanation...in the Shadowdeep its darn chilly and with monster prowling around the woods the furniture is the first thing on the fire :D

...the first thing AFTER they burned the witches, of course.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Ha ha, a LOT of stuff I like isn’t to other people’s taste...as is obvious with the direction most modern miniatures have taken.  Too big, too much detail (just for detail sake...I mean, nobody wears all those ornate clothes on the battlefield or adventuring), to realistic, too dramatic of poses.  Honestly, 75% of the “new” miniatures I see come out aren’t MY cup of tea.  But, I understand, different strokes...makes the world a fun place :)

Fun to hear somebody else thinks this. While I do like the occasional modern mini - Bronze Age is probably my favourite these days - like you, I much prefer the older sculpts. Something has been lost. Anyway, well said!

I hope you'll post an AAR once you've had your first game. Will it be this coming weekend? You're in for a treat - it's a really fun scenario!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 12:11:45 PM »
...the first thing AFTER they burned the witches, of course.
lol

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »
Fun to hear somebody else thinks this. While I do like the occasional modern mini - Bronze Age is probably my favourite these days - like you, I much prefer the older sculpts. Something has been lost. Anyway, well said!

I hope you'll post an AAR once you've had your first game. Will it be this coming weekend? You're in for a treat - it's a really fun scenario!

I will be doing an AAR (although I confess, I have no idea what that stands for)...maybe many..  I’m hoping to keep this thread going as motivation as long as I continue to play through all the scenarios.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »
AAR means After Action Report...I think...

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »
The rest of the monsters for the first mission We’re pretty easy.  I still had 4 old Games Workshop WHQ spiders sitting around from the WFB days.  At first I was going to use those cheap plastic spiders that come out every Halloween, but after I got them, I really didn’t like the look.  I was also having issues  justifying the relatively “high” price of most the giant rat miniatures I found.  In the end, I found Reapers “vermin” line.  Not really “old school”, but nice little sculpts, dirt cheap...and they’re just spiders and rats after all.

It’s been getting cold here in the frozen tundra that is Wisconsin, home of D&D.  We had a little “heat wave” yesterday, so I decided to take advantage of it to prime some miniatures in the garage before it gets too cold.  Some of these will be used for future missions...some of them ill just want to paint over the winter months.  Anyway, spent a lot of time cleaning flash and gluing on bases last night, ha ha.  This is my second batch...I’m up to my eyeballs in unpainted miniatures (just like everyone).

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 12:10:49 AM »
Nice job on those buildings!

-Michael

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 02:12:32 AM »
Nice job on those buildings!

-Michael

Thanks, I like the way they turned out.  I was just expanding/experimenting with techniques I used on ruined brick buildings...sometimes things work out :)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 02:17:56 AM »
Got my 3+ “survivors” complete...

(Missing a small but vicious dog)