Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chain of Command - DMZ Optional Rules  (Read 968 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Chain of Command - DMZ Optional Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:29:55 PM »
Interesting. But I have so many platoons to finish for WW2, and I am resisting making jungle terrain..  :)
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
Cheers - really interesting and useful!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
Someone doesn’t understand how a Claymore works.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline c0cky30

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 09:20:01 PM »
Would be interested in your thoughts Carlos.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 01:45:36 AM »
The danger area of a Claymore exits in an ellipse around the mine.   The BBDA or Back Blast Danger Area's particular relevance is providing a rearward safety distance to the user. To that end, our American friends, aware that their soldiers aren't the world's brightest, stamped the words 'front towards enemy' on the more 'exciting' side of the case.  If the enemy walk within that, say behind its arc, all's well, the best they come out of it is with  a nasty case of shock and ringing ears.

Whilst the there are optimal distances to the spread of the ball bearings, about 50 meters IIRC*, the blast effect means that there is no real safe zone in front of the mine. An example of which being the SASR ambush sprung in Vietnam where the patrol commander set up the mines close to a path with the view of capturing an enemy by the expedient of knocking them over with the blast. It failed spectacularly, the blast effect alone killed the chaps in front of the mine.

One thing you might want to consider is the siting of claymores. When it goes boom the  thing flings bits of case and secondary fragments, like twigs, small stones and shit around, up to 100 meters. The blast effect is significant enough to keep anybody out of the immediate rear or sides by 18 meters. That's an exclusion zone. Beyond that and up to 100 meters troops are supposed to be in some form of cover, although in practice it's much less than that due to the need to eyeball the killing ground that and the fact that you only get about 30 metres of firing cable.

The other thing you might want to consider is that Claymores can be fired as multiples, by daisy chaining them with det cord between each mine, there are little shipping plugs on each side of the mine's sight, atop the mine, that allow you to do this. One clacker, several Claymores going boom at once.  :o

*If I could be bothered, I'd dig out the relevant training pam, I think I still have it somewhere
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:47:50 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 08:47:20 AM »

There is a good example in the book Chickenhawk where the writer lands in a firebase and witnesses two US grunts placing Claymores and then BOOM! they disappeared.  :o

Not wishing to hijack this post but we have just got Claymores sculpted for release in packs so that players can use them as markers on the table. Sorry that was a self indulgent sales pitch although I like to think of it as a public information announcement.   ;D

Offline c0cky30

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
Nice Empress.  Looking forward to seeing the claymores.  Any chance of adding coloured smoke markers and tunnel entrances.

Carlos,

Certainly agree with what you are saying.

Some abstraction was taken with the claymore rules given they needed to fit within the frame work of the main rules and kept as simple as possible.

The game ground scale is 12 inches equals around 50meters.

The claymores spread area was approx 60 degrees.  Given the table size and to reduce using another measuring device 90 degrees was used as the game already used tokens with this arc.

As for the effect range

At the table distance of 0 to 4 inches  from the friendly force so 0 - 16m a  Safety Zone (BBA) is in play. This was to abstract the no fire zone with the claymore being placed over 16m away and hence no effect. 4 inches was also used as this is deemed close combat range in the rules

4+ to 8 inches from friendly unit- so effectively from the claymore out 16m any units in the area are auto hit.

8+ to 12 inches so 16m - 32m  4+ to hit.

12+ to 16" so 32m to 50m  5+ to hit.

We limited claymores to 2 for a platoon in order to restrict them potentially dominating a game and they can be fired at the same time.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:28:31 AM by c0cky30 »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
OK, I see now, the measurement is from the firing point.