Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

LPL13 Round 3

Sinewgrab: Victorian Science Femdom
62 (32.1%)
Pulper: Dungeon Monster Mash
131 (67.9%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Voting closed: October 19, 2019, 07:45:40 PM

Author Topic: LPL13 Round 3: Victorian Science Femdom vs Dungeon Monster Mash  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
LPL13 Round 3: Victorian Science Femdom vs Dungeon Monster Mash
« on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »
LPL13 Round 3

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:44:56 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Re: LPL13 Round 3: Victorian Science Femdom vs Dungeon Monster Mash
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:16:56 AM »
sinewgrab, lovely set of minis with a decent painjob, slightly let down by the size of that tiny picture, where is the one in the middle from, she's a bit more steampunk than the others but she does fit in quite nice

Pulper absolutely love those skintones, and really great job on those bases they're simple but they manage to set the scene for the minis, even on a plain background you can immediately imagine them running around in a dank cave

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
Is that an Earthdawn fig in the monster mash?  Leftmost model?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 02:29:31 AM »
The center model is a Reaper figure - can't recall the name.

I was having an issue with my images being resized when I sent them out to Elk101, but I think I fixed it.  Besides, no matter how many times I took the picture, at least ONE of the ladies would be out of focus.

:?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »
  Besides, no matter how many times I took the picture, at least ONE of the ladies would be out of focus.

Oh, it's annoying when they do that, isn't it?

One thing you can do, if your camera has the option, is to experiment with depth of field and/or aperture settings. That way you can take photos where absolutely everything is in focus (even the background if you want). No more nightmares where your little darlings take it in turns to be out of focus in every shot.

I take all my photos with only ambient lighting. No fancy light boxes or any of that malarkey for me. With the aperture cranked open enough, the sun or the room lighting can do the trick, and everybody can be in focus. Only trouble is, it can take up to a minute to take the picture like that, so you need something acting as a tripod (you don't need an actual tripod, but there's no way you can hold a camera still for that time so you have to put it down on something). A timer or remote are recommended too, because pushing the button can and will shake the camera.

That's what I do, and it got me through last year's LPL quite nicely, for the most part. I'm not a very technically-minded person, but you'd be surprised what I discovered when I finally bothered to read that little book that came with the camera.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »
  Besides, no matter how many times I took the picture, at least ONE of the ladies would be out of focus.

Came here for Femdom.. wasn't dissapointed  lol lol lol

Offline Pulper

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 08:55:54 AM »
Is that an Earthdawn fig in the monster mash?  Leftmost model?

Yes, now available from RPE.
We want so much when we need so little. But the illumined man wants for nothing.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 12:51:22 AM »
Well done, Pulper - you are rightfully whooping my carcass right now.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 07:35:10 PM »
Pulper absolutely love those skintones, and really great job on those bases they're simple but they manage to set the scene for the minis, even on a plain background you can immediately imagine them running around in a dank cave

My thoughts exactly. Basing helps, but the model selection and colour scheme are also spot on. Even the trolls feel like dungeon trolls...although by changing the hints they'd probably work as wilderness trolls as well. :)

I take all my photos with only ambient lighting. No fancy light boxes or any of that malarkey for me. With the aperture cranked open enough, the sun or the room lighting can do the trick, and everybody can be in focus. Only trouble is, it can take up to a minute to take the picture like that, so you need something acting as a tripod (you don't need an actual tripod, but there's no way you can hold a camera still for that time so you have to put it down on something). A timer or remote are recommended too, because pushing the button can and will shake the camera.

Sounds very familiar. Plenty of my photos have been taken with variants of the following setup:
  • A terrain mat on the table or on the floor
  • One of my blue t-shirts stretched over something for the sky
  • The camera placed on a suitable pile of board game boxes, books, and finally clothes to get the angle right (or sometimes on a tripod  lol)
  • Ambient light, either by placing a powerful bulb behind something to block the direct path or by holding a newspaper over the scene - helps immensely if there are any issues with shiny varnish or inks!
  • Aperture (F) somewhere between 9 or 18, depending on how deep the team is set up and whether I want the rest of the scene to be in focus or not
  • Timer, always
  • Flash, never
  • Stabilisation, off - these systems often just add mechanical vibration or false compensation, while everything in the setup should be perfectly immobile
  • Exposure time...rarely below 1s, sometimes over 30s, in any case far more than would be viable for hand-held
Auto-focus often works well enough if you go for a basic line-up. Sometimes extra trickery or manual focus is needed to get it in the middle of a deeper scene.

If some of those options are not available, possible workarounds include less deep scenes and just more light (but preferably with the newspaper trick or something to reduce glare and harsh contrast).

That's the main formula. Maybe we can continue this in general discussion if needed. :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:36:45 PM by Dolmot »