Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Is anyone buying 1/72 kits these days?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Is anyone buying 1/72 kits these days?
« on: October 13, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »
Since moving from Oz, I've been playing in the scales used by the locals, and my collection of 1/72 kits has been sitting in boxes.

Is there much of a market for 1/72 kits, and do people buy bundles?

I'm tempted just to put them on the Bring & Buy at Targe, but I really don't know what sort of prices are realistic, and I don't really want to have to do them all separately.

So what's people's experience of selling 1/72?
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/2019/10/is-20mm-still-sellable.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 04:16:08 PM by Shahbahraz »
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Is anyone buying 1/72 kits these days?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:32:46 PM »
The school club I help run became interested in What a Tanker (the fun WW2 game
from Too Fat Lardies). Before I could get them into 10mm, 15mm etc. some of them
bought 1/72nd kits & got started.  We now have over twenty tanks available.
the answer therefore is 'Yes' people do still buy 1/72nd

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:33:21 PM »
I do .. did today in fact  :)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:48:11 PM »
I have a large collection of 1/76 and 1/72 models - armour and soft vehicles, aircraft, a few helicopters.  I have a large stash and so second hand models are usually bought so that my grandchildren can practice.  New models are rarely bought as they are too complicated for the young ones.  I try for Matchbox, (or ex-Matchbox Revell) or old Airfix etc as the wee ones can build a model in an afternoon.

If you are selling then it all depends on who you are selling to and where.  At bring and buys they seldom sell unless very cheap.  At modeller/collector shows you might do a bit better.  I have had some success on model making forums but not much as the cost of posting them depresses the price.  Sometimes a "rare" or sought after kit will sell on ebay.  When I go to shows I'm looking at a bargain price for the kids to practice on or a particular model to fill a gap or as the basis of a conversion.

Depends what you have and what the buyer is looking for really.  I tried selling some one year and sold almost none, the next year they all went. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:18:18 AM »
Thanks for that. I think you're right. It just seems to be random regarding sales. I will put them on the B&B in lots, and if they don't sell, then I will consider eBay.

And I get what you are saying about complexity, though some of the old Airfix kits like the Churchill and the Panther were absolute pains to put together compared to the super smooth tooling you find nowadays. 

And I think I have some fun stuff: Dragon Firefly, King Tiger and Tiger, Vomag by Roden, some S-model kits, Hasegawa Panther F, and Flak 88, IBG Chevy Trucks, Trumpeter Pershing and so on. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 07:06:39 AM »
I attempted the AirFix Churchill aged 11. That was when I still believed kit instructions.
'If you want your tracks to move, do not glue the bogies when you assemble the sponsons'
 What 11 year old wargamer wouldn't want the tank tracks to move?
It was like trying to balance a row of microscopic peas on one knife, while trying to
get another knife to match up on top!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 10:53:48 AM »
I attempted the AirFix Churchill aged 11. That was when I still believed kit instructions.
'If you want your tracks to move, do not glue the bogies when you assemble the sponsons'
 What 11 year old wargamer wouldn't want the tank tracks to move?
It was like trying to balance a row of microscopic peas on one knife, while trying to
get another knife to match up on top!

I eventually realised that the small wheels sprue lined up almost exactly with the spring bogies and that saved feeding the carpet monster!  The other two real pains were the Buffalo and the RE8.  I still have my RE8 as I spent so long getting it wrong - heavy top wing out of alignment, wheels buckles, struts all over the place.  I show it to the grandchildren to show that grandad was not always able to build everything!

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 03:05:21 AM »
Perhaps try to tap into the gaming communities that game in this scale. It seems Battlegroup and Rapid Fire are very popular in this scale. Have you tried asking in the Wargamers Forum, a lot of Rapid Fire players there http://www.thewargamersforum.com/index.php?sid=42be2b0a0e85fb9f7ea62f41bcd54dd2

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »
Perhaps try to tap into the gaming communities that game in this scale. It seems Battlegroup and Rapid Fire are very popular in this scale. Have you tried asking in the Wargamers Forum, a lot of Rapid Fire players there http://www.thewargamersforum.com/index.php?sid=42be2b0a0e85fb9f7ea62f41bcd54dd2

Ta, I have put an ad up on the Wargamers Forum, so I shall see how I go. With luck, I can clear some space in the shed.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
I would, except that I'm utterly snowed under. Should really wait until I can buy more soldiers; but I really wish to ditch a Panther I have and replace it with a simpler one (310 components doesn't really seem like a good idea for a kit purchased simply for gaming).
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »
I would, except that I'm utterly snowed under. Should really wait until I can buy more soldiers; but I really wish to ditch a Panther I have and replace it with a simpler one (310 components doesn't really seem like a good idea for a kit purchased simply for gaming).

OK, who makes a Panther with 310 components in 1/72?

I'm intimidated enough by a 1/48 T70 :)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 12:03:44 AM »
OK, who makes a Panther with 310 components in 1/72?

At a guess it's either Dragon or UM.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 12:33:07 AM »
Trumpeter. It may not be that one exactly, but I'm sure there was one vehicle I wished to get rid of for that purpose that had 310 components. I believe there was another with 270-290 plastic parts in there somewhere with a fret of around 30 etched parts. Eastern European manufacturers have been known to do that.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 01:27:28 AM »
My MIR 1/48 scale T70 has each slat on the engine grille as a separate etch piece to be folded into shape. There have to be 20-30 pieces easy.

It is still about the only game in town.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »
1/72 is my scale choice for ww1, ww2 and modern.

I have possibly over 400 vehicles and over 1000 thousand miniatures, plus hundreds of buildings . I started with 40 years ago, and still paint and collect today.

As for value of kits it depends, collectible or rare kits bring the best money, dragon, old airfix and hasegawa normally hold value, the Wargamer kits not so much.

I prefer lots to be individually priced as I am only after odd bits and pieces normally.

Cheers