Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GW Texture Paint?  (Read 960 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
GW Texture Paint?
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using the GW texture paints for doing bases? And how would this work for figures on integral bases? All the tutorials I've seen only show tests on plastic bases without minis on them.

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
Re: GW Texture Paint?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:35:39 PM »
I've had some luck with them, especially Stirland Mud and Astrogranite. They're thinner ('paint-y-er?') than using, say, pumice gel from the art store (or vallejo), dry relatively quickly, and can be drybrushed well (and flocked, as desired). I've used them for slottabases (both with the figure on first and without), plastic bases, integral bases on 1" washers/flat bases, and not had a problem with it, though I'd recommend using a pretty narrow tool or smaller brush to put it on in those cases.

I would add that there are thinner and thicker versions of the base paints. Stirland mud is thinner, as is Astrogranite, whereas Stirland Battlemire is much 'chunkier', as is Astrogranite Debris. Best to wet your brush/tool a bit before trying to manipulate them on the base.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:44:04 AM »
Thanks for the insight syr. I was planning to try some Afghan/Desert style bases using the Angrelian Earth.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »
Morning B6, I've started using these regularly and happy with the results. I use the Warlord games bases levelled up with wood filler, paint a base coat and then apply whichever over the top and dry brush etc to finish. The Agrellan Earth is great for desert IMHO. Hope this helps
JB

Gabbi

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
I have one of the texture ones (Astrogranite, I think) and while it's handy, I'm not overly impressed. I halso have one of the crackling ones (Agrellan Earth, I think) and that's quite good.

Here's an example:

I didn't do the whole base, but used it in "patches", alternating my usual texturing method.

I have some advice to share:
1) prepare the base for the crackling paint by painting it with a mix of diluted pva glue and a darker tone (than the crackling paint).
2) once dry, apply the crackling paint in a thick coat.
3) once dry, I wash the base with a mix of pva glue and a dark wash (i.e. Army Painter's). The pva glue helps to fix the crackled paint to the base, otherwise some chucks could fall off, with time.
4) I do a light drybrush with a color similar to those of the crackling paint, or slightly lighter.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:17:58 AM by Gabbi »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
Gabbi,

I love your basing.
Outstanding.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »
As an aside, crackling medium is available at art stores at a fraction of GW prices.

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
True. I plan to try some art store medium, once this pot will be empty.
I have to say, though, I have one bottle of Vallejo crackling medium and had no luck in making it work yet.

@Marine0846: many thanks!