Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Leading Edge Games’ ‘Army of Darkness’ Collection  (Read 1023 times)

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Leading Edge Games’ ‘Army of Darkness’ Collection
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »
  Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas.

Our hero, Ash Williams, finds himself hurtled back in time to King Arthur’s England, where an inexplicable evil has arisen.  In order to get back home and to his time, Ash must quest for the Necronomicon, an unholy book bound in human flesh.  Only the secret incantations found therein can rid Arthur’s kingdom of the evil and send Ash home.

But our hero isn’t alone in his quest for the Necronomicon.  Another seeks it as well:  Evil Ash...and his Army of Darkness, a legion of the undead...Deadites.

Hail to the King, baby.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Re: Leading Edge Games’ ‘Army of Darkness’ Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:44 PM »
The dreaded sideways photo bug strikes.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 12:48:16 AM »
Here’s a pic of the Leading Edge Games minis for my Army of Darkness game.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:57:10 AM »
Here are some closeups of the character figures, etc.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:33:39 AM »
I give up.  Here’s a link to some of the same pics plus some others. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21667793@N06/shares/353f5X

I bought a couple boxes of GW siege equipment plus the GW Siege Tower to enhance the game and provide for different scenarios.  When I started buying the Leading Edge figures I realized that there was only one archer figure, so to flesh out King Arthur and Duke Henry’s forces I bought a few archers and crossbowmen from Ral Partha.  The archer figure in particular worked out real well since it’s base is round like those of the LEG figures.  I managed to scoop up for peanuts a few skeleton archers at a convention flea market to give Evil Ash some missile troops.  They might be GW minis but I don’t know.  Another flea market acquisition was a catapult, ‘cause, well, there were a couple in the movie.  ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21667793@N06/shares/43f08t

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 04:11:50 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun!

The last time I posted pictures, they came out upside down.

-Michael

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
 Holy shit, thats a lot of Leading edge stuff. I thought you could only buy it in those clam boxes.
Nice work, I have thought about playing an Army of darkness game.
Any one got rules suggestions (Although I would say LOTR SBG would be great with some added rules)
'This is my boomstick'
'Grovey baby'
'Hail to the king'
'Klatu Barada Necktie'
'Yo, shebitch, lets go'

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
Leading Edge Game figures came in the black clamshell box and blister packs.  It’s taken me a while to put together the collection.  I didn’t discover LEG minis until after they’d gone out of business.  Through some research I found a hobby shop that had served as one LEG’s primary distributors.  The shop had some stock left in a bargain bin.  I bought quite a bit of what they had left of Army of Darkness and Aliens figures.  That gave me a good start.  Thereafter it’s been a slow accumulation from the secondary market and gifts from friends.   The AoD figs are getting much harder to find now, especially at anything approaching ‘reasonable’ prices.  I currently have painted 187 Deadites, 62 knights and men-at-arms for Arthur and 31 for Duke Henry, all of the character figures, the Deathmobile, 8 mantlets, and the rough stone table and dias holding the Necronomicon.  There are 36 more Deadites, 2 mantlets and 9 knights and men-at-arms in the painting queue.  For rules I adapted a simple set of homemade medieval rules.  I have a purpose-built foam castle made for me by Craig Lechner.  It includes a stable in which the Deathmobile parks until Ash retrieves it and wreaks havoc upon the Deadites.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
Brill. I missed tbe leading edge stuff when it was released. They look fab when all together. Thanks for givin me some sugar baby... :P
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 07:10:25 PM »
Great overview, thanks for posting! It sounds like a hoot to play!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »
Yes I'm very impressed.
Fantastic collection from a limited range

Did you mention Aliens? :)
Please continue

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 01:45:27 AM »
  Steders, I used to have a large collection of Leading Edge Aliens figures.  I kept some but gave a lot to a friend including the dropship and APC.  If you’re interested I can dig ‘em out and post a few photos? I still have all the Colonial Marines (“Game over, man! Game over!”), Aliens, the Alien Queen, Ripley and the power loader and the sentry guns.  What I’ve always lacked is something suitable to game on.  I’m not much of a scratch builder and the couple games I’ve seen where folks have put together Hadley’s Hope have been knockouts but way past my abilities.  I’ve looked at Battle Systems scenery but I’ve never seen it in person and don’t know anyone personally who has seen it or played with it.

Offline Jay Adan

• Assistant
  • Gaming since the 70's
    • jayadan.com
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
That's a lot of LEG minis.  :o