Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:15:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diorama I made for College! Also first post  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Gloved Fists of Justice

• Schoolboy
Diorama I made for College! Also first post
« on: October 18, 2019, 09:26:11 PM »
At College, I've just finished a themed project based on mysterious islands, which of course lends well into pulp adventure. But as I'm a fan of Lovecraft, so while my fellow students made dinky plaster mould islands, I decided to combine the two and make a diorama. This is my first time doing anything like this, so the modelling work and miniature painting could definitely leave a lot to be desired. I basically tried to use the cheapest materials possible, which included bark to make the rock piles, epoxy resin for the bubbling lagoon water and recycled polystyrene for the higher elevated sections. I'm looking for creative criticism, so feel free to share your thoughts.   

Online Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Diorama I made for College! Also first post
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 10:30:34 PM »
Very nice. Excellent job.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:57:24 PM »
An excellent job, especially for a first timer.  I'm sure your prof will be impressed.

Assuming you really want suggestions, it might look more natural (as natural as a Pulpy giant tentacle diorama can be) if the tentacles cane out of the water at more of an incline toward the shore so the angle would suggest the main body of whatever it is was farther out where the water is deeper rather than close to the beach.

Other than that I can't see anything I'd have done differently.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
I agree with Hobby Services it looks good, presumably you want to have the figures removable so can't hide their bases and the tentacles would look more menacing reaching forward. The only thing that I don't think gels is the colour blue, I think I would have gone for a more muted colour, but Ive never seen a giant squid, they might all be bright blue. ;)
Well done

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
First time doing something like this puts you well ahead of a lot of us  :)
If you intend to carry on doing more of these kind of things might I suggest going on you-tube as there are a lot of videos on terrain building that would help you, not that you need much help mind you  :)

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 05:30:37 PM »
I beg to disagree! It's a well known fact that giant squids are blue !  lol lol
Very nice job, all the more so for a first timer.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Very cool.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 05:59:19 AM »
I agree the tentacles could use some work - my challenge with them is that they are too much single tone blues and would look a lot better with some wash and dry brush technique.  For a first effort, first rate.  Hope you continue to do more of such things in the future.

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 08:56:37 PM »
Wonderful looking diorama. My only suggestion might be to add some water effects so the pool doesn't look too calm.
A.Nik-