Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686468
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Frostgrave: Perilous Dark and Wizards II Nickstarter.  (Read 4667 times)

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
Re: (Commercial) Frostgrave: Perilous Dark and Wizards II Nickstarter.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »
Got my copy this morniong and have read through it, in more depth than I have done for any of the other supplements. Very very very good !
Now to play it all through...
 :-*
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 04:23:42 PM »

"The Perilous Dark Wizard" sounds more like the end boss of a fantasy epic than the nice young lady from the cover of the book!   lol

I've received notice of my book shipping, but since I'm a US customer that orders directly from Nick (for some reason, it tends to work out cheaper than Brigade Games after shipping for me), I get to wait on pins and needles for another week.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 07:17:22 PM »
I've received notice of my book shipping, but since I'm a US customer that orders directly from Nick (for some reason, it tends to work out cheaper than Brigade Games after shipping for me), I get to wait on pins and needles for another week.
Similar feeling, but in my case from backing while not knowing how the whole Brexit thingy is going to resolve (or not) between now and the end of the Nickstarter... Expecting a delay (of Brexit that is) and no noticeable effect, but it's anybody's guess!
Starting to wish I had ordered the book separately though, just because I'm quite keen to find out what's in it - sounds pretty intriguing. Normally, my main painting sprees are just ahead of a game - wonder if soloing Frostgrave may have similar effect to motivate some more painting.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Pascal

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 07:57:23 PM »
Just received my Perilous Dark Book. Reading through the Dungeon Crawl Section.  I am trying to figure out if I can use the D100 System for creating dynamic tiles in some way.  Will have more time tomorrow to read it front to back.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
Not immediately. It'll go into holding, along with the Oathmark maquettes and the earlier Nickstarter figures, and probably come back later.
Thanks! I am in no hurry to get it, can't afford it at the moment, but it would pain me if I had to miss out. On a sidenote, I did finally get back into painting. I bought a metric ton of Frostgrave miniatures a while back and started with the first coats of paint on them.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
Last weekend of the Nickstarter. We switch it off a week today.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »
My book came it on Thursday.  It's one of the thicker supplements, and I'm glad for that!  I love it so far!

I'm still working my way through it (been a rough week for spare time), but so far my perspective from pausing and reading the video review still frames is reinforced.  This is a solid solo (mostly) and co-op toolkit for Frostgrave, with scenarios after each section to serve equally as example as well as new game content.

So far, it's unlocking stuff in the ol' brainmeats, as well as hammering in the subtle-yet-tricky concept that with solo gaming you can do whatever you want in a scenario as long as it's cool and understandable to you.  (Two decades of player-versus gaming will hardwire in a feeling that scenarios have to be fair, straightforward, and balanced.) 

The random dungeon chapter looks to be what I've been looking for in a dungeon crawler, and it might even be worth porting that over to RoSD with an eye towards an "adventurer party" of four Rangers instead of the usual Frostgrave or RoSD warbands.  (There's the seed of a Spellcaster article for you, Joe!)  But even straight up Frostgrave looks like fun with those rules, and I gotta fill out my baddie collection to try it out! 

Since this turned into a mini-review, I'll say that if anyone is in the Nickstarter for minis and unsure about the book - get the book, too.  It's full of helpful ideas and advice on solo and co-op gaming that could be adapted to most games, though there is very much a focus on playing such games in Frostgrave.  It would also serve as a helpful scenario creation toolbox for Rangers of Shadow Deep, and it looks like the first chapter (on how to tweak the basic game mechanics for solo and co-op) could be adapted to Ghost Archipelago relatively easily.  (Though there's another great Spellcaster article idea, there.  Unless Joe is planning to give GA a full book on similar topics.)

So yeah, if you play any of the Frostgrave rules family games, this is the #1 supplement I'd recommend for people interested in solo/co-op play (or just designing your own scenarios in general).  If you have Into the Breeding Pits, this book will also let you get a LOT more use out of all those dungeon rules.  Well done, Joe!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
Am quite tempted to subscribe, mainly for the Mongolian-looking Perilous Dark Wizard!  :D

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »
Good News!

The new female plastic Wizards are here, we're shipping today. Hurrah.

It's going to take us a few days to get everything out, we'll be sending some everyday, look out for an email from Christine to say yours has been dispatched.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 01:31:41 AM »
So when is general release? Tried looking at brigade and nada.... any help I’m looking to get this but was short on cash for the Nickstarter. Thanks.
I should be painting right now.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 08:41:13 AM »
Hi

Everything is on general release now. Drop Brigade a line, they have the stuff, maybe just haven't updated their site yet.

Nick

Offline Pascal

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 12:06:28 PM »
I order the Nickstarter from Brigradegames.com.   I have not seen any email nor received anything that I ordered.  I will send them an email today.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2019, 07:51:51 PM »
My Nickstarter pack finally made its way across the pond!

I love everything in it.  There's not many companies I'd order minis from sight unseen, but I knew Northstar wouldn't disappoint with the Magmites and Hellcrows.  And they didn't!  I especially love the Hellcrows.  The broom hand is getting matched up with the old lady head on the sprues to make myself an all-purpose witch!  And Borock is a very nice and unique boss monster mini to have.

Much like the GA Blooddrinker Bats, I wish I could buy packs of just Hellcrows and Bats to make it easier (and cheaper) to get up to a 12-count of each for dungeon crawl projects without having to buy the other critters packed with them.  Sort of like the RoSD giant flies.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
Thanks Nick. I will get with them soonest.