Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:03:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm archaeologists?  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: 15mm archaeologists?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »
Nic, are you aware of the native American ranges available from Khurasan in their historical ranges?  While visiting Khurasan, check out their West Sudanese - there is a great pack of porters that might be fun for you.

I love the look of Khurasan's ranges, but I only ever purchase small amounts of stuff at a time (the reason I have NO lead pile), and won't pay US postage prices to the EU, so the chance of me getting any is slim.  :'(

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2020, 05:47:29 AM »
“... the reason I have NO lead pile ...”

Dear God, what are you!?!?

Dan

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2020, 08:38:10 AM »
“... the reason I have NO lead pile ...”

Dear God, what are you!?!?

Dan
Given what we know happens to players when their lead pile runs out, I reckon Cacique is undead.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2020, 02:56:16 AM »
"the reason I have NO lead pile"

Oh, to have such discipline.  I applaud you, sir.  Dan isn't undead, yet, but give him time, who knows how he may transform himself.

Me, lead pile?  No.  Lead mountain range?  Yup.  lol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2020, 08:00:25 PM »
I tell a lie. I currently have three 15mm figures waiting to be painted. I am waiting on a 6mm order though to do a division of 19th century Austrians to start a new army. I just find that big piles of stuff are intimidating and don't get painted - that then starts a spiral of self loathing that I'd rather not have. Small piles are manageable. So I buy in small quantities.  ::)

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »
Meanwhile, I have finally written something approaching a proper pulp AAR.

https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2020/01/playtesting-palaeo-diet-pulp-more.html

The four adventurers surveyed the the scene before them: a dry plain with a single thicket, and area of spiky blade grass and a scattering of carnivorous plants. Off to their right, a savage monument built by the island's natives probably indicated a native presence in the area. Their target though, was the tyrannosaurus rex down by the lake sure.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2024, 03:01:19 AM »
I know, threadsurrection here.  But I figure it is time to bring this back up higher to see what is new and delightful in 15 mm pulp gaming.  I know we have a number of items from Khurasan - but not nearly enough, need more!!!  Love their boat crew - and the damsel.  And really glad you can get her and the big ape without the Dino, still not my thing.  Sadly, I do believe Acheson has exited 15 mm world and only some of their stuff seems to have surfaced at Khurasan which apparently acquire their 15 mm stuff.

So, since 2020, what have you all found that is new and workable. 

Oh, and on the OP topic, Rebel has great figures for diggers at an archaeological dig. 

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2024, 08:25:44 AM »
I agree that there is enough 15mm Pulp stuff, unlike the 28mm range that have tons of figures in the Pulp area.

I have been thinking and working on gathering the supplies. I have been talking to Zrunelord on ideas. I want to start on some figures myself mostly Pulp/Cthulhu stuff but for other areas around the world other than Africa and Egypt. I mean where's the maid, the butler or the house cook you know the usual suspects. All adventures don't have to look like "Great White Hunters" or Indiana jones. I want investigators Holmes and Watson with a lantern in one hand a pistol in the other. We need some ladies of the evening and a Ripper. It's hard to have a Innsmouth without dockworkers and a Harbor Master, Seamen, fisherman in yellow raingear.

Where are the Japanese and Chinese gangs? We need more villains.

I would like for more options to use I want a different archaeologist other than one that is digging in Africa.

I am hoping to start on some soon I need a few more things, and money is tight till the end of the month.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2024, 01:40:55 AM »
War Monkey - you MUST look into Old Glory 25s Bluemoon 15 mm Horror ranges - and other ranges, too.  You will find a number of the items you seek available from them - their Sherlock Holmes is one of the best miniature figures I've ever seen in any scale.  Also, check out Eureka Miniatures in Australia - especially their WWI figures - very adaptable.  Too true that too much is set in Africa but not all.  Also, ramble around the ranges available from Khurasan miniatures.  There is quite a bit out there but, ABSOLUTELY, there can be more.  At Bluemoon, look at the civilians in the Boxer Rebellion range - heck, check most of their ranges for suitable civilian figures.  And Peter Pig can join the mix - but much smaller than Bluemoon.  Rebel Minis and Splintered Light (maybe), Irregular Miniatures definitely.  Copplestone has some 15 mm stuff that might be of use for some.

I was just hoping someone might come along and make me aware of things I don't already know of.

I have found readily available round steel bases through the internet that are a lot cheaper than washers - and no holes. 

So, things are looking up from where they were a few years ago.  Just need more progress. 

How about an affordable Pan Am Clipper?!  Or parts for building a dirigible? 

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2024, 06:16:55 AM »
Fifteensaway,
Your right I have forgotten about some of those, plus Blue Moon's The Night Chicago Died range too. I want the Australian in shorts and a slouch hat, pistol on the hip and a cane not carrying a rifle or an SMG.
Still there is a need for more. I want some Kung Fu Women not any doing the crane stands but in a position that you know who she is. There is still a lot to be had.
Peter Pig has the German submarine short patrol and the French Resistance figures as well.

I guess what I am looking for is different factions of all nations looking for the lost artifacts of the would hoping and wondering which would give their country the edge. I mean the Japanese and the Chinese had groups along with the Germans trying to find that one treasure.

Yes a Pan am Clipper would be nice or a PBY, a PT Boat would be nice too. A Steam Tramper one could make relatively easy and make it look good for scale reasons the other I don't think will be that easy.

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2024, 02:03:26 AM »
3D printing should provide a Clipper or PBY?  Upscale 1:144 or downsize 1/72?

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2024, 02:38:46 AM »
I just came across this last night after some looking https://www.printables.com/model/410654-martin-m130-seaplane

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2024, 09:42:59 PM »
I would have thought there'd be loads of toys which would fit 15mm.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2024, 02:51:59 AM »
Fram, sometimes yes and sometimes no and more often than not, no.  Part of the challenge is the size of 15 mm makes many things too small to market because of "hazards" to small children.  So, not as much as you might think.

Then there is something I noticed recently - some of those cheaper toy sets that used to include useable (with modifications generally) trees are now just including bits of aquarium decor (probably made in the same factory?).  Maybe they learned that from our hobby!? :o

However, there is now a LOT more detail stuff out there for 15 mm than as little as ten years ago and, sometimes - and only sometimes - the 3D world provides some pretty cool stuff for 15 mm.

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2024, 09:45:30 AM »
War monkey
For an out-of the box aircraft, how about a Ford Tri-motor?
https://www.diecastmodels.co.nz/products/aircraft/commercial-aircraft/motormax-1100-tri-motor/