Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestion on how to reinforce a model kit [Dragonfate Dias]  (Read 943 times)

Gabbi

Suggestion on how to reinforce a model kit [Dragonfate Dias]
« on: October 22, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
I'm in the process of assembling a Dragonfate Dais by GW.  It's from the first wave of AoS terrains, these were made of a cheaper and heavier plastic than the regular GW models.

The platform is held up just by the flight of stairs. I'm pretty sure that with time the stairs will bend under platform's weight.

So I'm looking for suggestions to further support it. I would like to keep the flying platform look, so would leave building walls or columns under it as a last resource.
I'm thinking about clear acrylic rods, or metal rods painted black. But not fond of the solution.

More views of the model: CLICK HERE

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Suggestion on how to reinforce a model kit [Dragonfate Dias]
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
Is that a crevasse/chasm/hole-in-the-floor-thingy in the base?

If so, maybe add a wire/steel rod in the centre of that and disguise it as a pillar of fire, with flames licking at the underside of the dais (double entendre not intended)?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
Without some pretty invasive surgery, you'll always be stuck with something visible I fear.

My first instict would be to cut a distorted s (or z ::) ) shape out of a metal sheet in such a way that its angles match the underside of the stairs (think _/ ͞  ) Then cut a slot in the base of the stairs to fit the bottom metal leg in, and then find some way to disguise the top arm and the diagonal, which should be flush with the underside of the stairs. I'm thinking sculpting in extra stone blocks, or vines or what have you.

To make it as sturdy as possible for its load bearing role, make sure you do it like this instead of bending a metal strip into the right angles, as that would still retain the risk of bending down over time (pun sort of intended  ;D ).

Going the extra mile, you could cut a slot in the stairs not just for the bottom leg, but also for the diagonal. And the 100% achievement level would obviously be to do the same again for the top leg, on the bottom of the dias.

The trick will be to not make the legs and diagonal too thin, and using a fair thickness of metal, say 1 or 2 mm. I think that for the weight, aluminum would be more than sufficient, but if you're a glutton for punishment (or have an industrial strength CNC router on hand), by all means go for actual steel.

After all; there is no such thing as over-engineering! :D

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Gabbi

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 01:17:35 PM »
Thanks for replies. In the centre of the base there's a pool of lava/blood/goo. Love the idea of flames to hide a support, but I'm believe my skills with green stuff are insufficient for the task.

I had thought of renforcing the stairs. Will see what I could do.

Other alternatives I thought of:
-A grarled tree on one side that barely touches the platform, but enough for me to stick a pin inside.
-A set of removable columns that I can place between the base and the platform. So I could use the terrain piece even in a not-magical setting.
-Even simpler: cut a large foam/polystirende support for the platform, and keep it in place when the terrain is stored. Remove before play. I think that weighing on the stairs just a few hours once in a while should not cause bending.

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »
Thanks for replies. In the centre of the base there's a pool of lava/blood/goo. Love the idea of flames to hide a support, but I'm believe my skills with green stuff are insufficient for the task.
Why worry about flame.  You said the centre is lava/blood/goo.  Why not a column of liquid pushing up the platform.  If you use a rod thick enough for your tastes then texture the surface and paint.  Here is a toot for a quick liquid texture.  http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#fountain

I did similar for a project using clear plastic, resin and ink.  https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3aIsUrg14Hw/XX4rjc6yF5I/AAAAAAAACFU/JitVJYHqY9o5Xqxgy9t75OoFGPnwWUDxACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/IMG_0948.jpg 

The tutorial is pretty straight forward and you can practice on scrap before trying it out on the model.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 07:45:46 AM »
-Even simpler: cut a large foam/polystirende support for the platform, and keep it in place when the terrain is stored. Remove before play. I think that weighing on the stairs just a few hours once in a while should not cause bending.

That would work!

My thought was to store the model on its side. It is the time in storage that will be the issue, not the time on the table.

Or if it is possible to have it in two parts, and just push the parts together for the game - but given the design it may not be possible to do this in a way that is stable.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
Or if it is possible to have it in two parts, and just push the parts together for the game - but given the design it may not be possible to do this in a way that is stable.

For that, there's a tried and true solution...

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 09:45:20 AM »
Thanks everyone for further insight.

@snitcythedog: thanks for the link. And love your floating terrain.

@Daeothar: not sure magnets would keep this thing together. It's quite heavy.
But I have to say it has nice and blocky joints, that would help sustaining it.
https://youtu.be/GpGt2XbAKJg?t=336

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »
Unless you have substantial claims that the original kit suffers from a weakness in its design, I would not worry about the need to add extra support. Unless you fit some sort of vertical props you just risk weakening the kit by carving and drilling into it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:31:57 AM by Hammers »

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 08:47:22 AM »
@Daeothar: not sure magnets would keep this thing together. It's quite heavy.
But I have to say it has nice and blocky joints, that would help sustaining it.
https://youtu.be/GpGt2XbAKJg?t=336

I don't think you'd want to keep the thing together with magnets, although you certainly could with sufficiently large ones, obviously. Rather, I'd suggest making the top detachable, and creating a bracket for it to rest on while assembled. If you make that out of steel (just a horizontal strip of appropriate thickness), secured into the top shelf of the stairs, then the magnets (in the platform) are just there to keep the platform in place during play...

And going by my experiences with GW terrain kits and the provided vdeo link, I'd say the entire thing is pretty dang sturdy on its own already. As mentioned; the plastic is really heavy and thick, and certainly could stand a bit of cutting/sanding/drilling without losing (much) structural integrity. So much so, that, personally, I would not worry about it sagging as it is out of the box. It's not resin after all.

But I have not handled the piece, so I can't be certain about that...