Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2019 LAF Secret Santa Gift Exchange!  (Read 10153 times)

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
2019 LAF Secret Santa Gift Exchange!
« on: October 22, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »
Greetings and Welcome to the 2019 Lead Adventure Forum Gift Exchange!

Well, we will start it off as the "interest thread" and see how it goes!

I have received a few e-mails already asking if there is going to be a Secret Santa Gift Exchange this year.  The general consensus has usually been the earlier we get started the better, so lets kick off now to see if we can get some interest.

FAQ
Q How does it work?
Anyone who wants to sign up, just says "I am in" on this thread, then PMs me their info* later.  Once the Registration period is over... say Sunday, November 10.  I'll send everyone who is playing ONE address to send a Secret Santa Gift to.  Each person is responsible for sending a gift of nominal value- Roughly $20/€20 to the individual he/she has an address for.... Everybody reports here in the secret Santa thread when their gift arrives, and what it was, and after everyone gets theirs, we can "reveal" who we were the secret Santa too.

FAQ
Q Does the person know that it is me I am buying a gift for?
The person receiving the gift doesn't know who the giver is (until revealed after date specified by group)

FAQ
Q Do I have to buy multiple gifts?
You only buy ONE gift for ONE recipient (and you only GET ONE gift from ONE sender).  Now, if you want to give your ONE person 4 items valued at €5 that is up to you.. but you only have one person to get a gift for.

FAQ
Q How much do we have to spend on a gift.
We set a gift value just so that you have a gauge of what "the least" you can do is.  In the past, we have decided that a "value" of $20/€20 is the expectation that everyone playing should have.  Now, you can spend any amount over that that you want... but you don't HAVE to.  If you want to send your giftee a set of winsor and newton brushes... go right ahead, just be aware that the gift you receive might just have the value of what we agreed on.
You actually don't really have to "buy" anything.  You probably have a mountain of lead that realistically you are never going to paint.... or even some nice stuff you have already painted  Pick some stuff out box it up and you are done.

FAQ
Q What do I buy for my Secret Santa?
It can be anything Mini/LAF related - Paints, Brushes, Games, Rules, Dice, Figures, etc etc etc....  Include a brief run down of what you like/collect.  Also your T-shirt size (just in case... you never know).  The person who gets "you" will see that you are "into" naked female space Orcs (if you wrote that down) and have some ideas of what you'd like.    And whatever you write is just a guide... so please don't be specific and say I WANT THE Randy Space Orc Ice Cream Parlor from XYZ company stock number #22321.  Just provide a general guide to help your santa out.  Realistically, this will probably be the only Mini/Hobby related item you get, so be thankful!

FAQ
Q When do I send my gift out?
You will get the name of your giftee on November 10.  As SOON as possible after that, send it out as holiday mail always plays havoc.

FAQ
Q When do we open the gift?
Well... it is a Christmas Gift Exchange... so.... maybe... 25 December?  But that is up to you.  If you get it on the 12th of December, and can't wait, well open it up.  The only REQUIREMENT is that you then take a picture of what you got and post it in this thread with something like... "Hey guys, Look what santa brung me!"
On/After 25 December, we will reveal ourselves to our santas.

FAQ
Q I live on the moon... will I get somebody in Australia?
This is a truly international forum.  We got folks from all over.  Australia, Des Moines, Quebec, and even France.  It really depends on who signs up.  Ideally, we need to have about 12... 15-20 would be awesome and increase the chances of getting somebody close.  In the past, if I have only two folks from Italy (or pick any other country), I TRY to keep them together.  I will try to honor request if you make them... but I am really limited by who signs up.  If you have done it for 3 years running and always seem to get Rumple Stilskin from East Anglia, then just tell me "Anybody but Rumple" and I will do must best.... but that might mean you get Auld Fromage in Paris, France instead.
So, I will try to keep Folks Together US folks, Canadians, Euros, Down Unders...etc so there is no crazy transatlantic/Transpacific shipping charges to worry about. 
That being said, if you really don't care (don't mind) shipping to anywhere, PLEASE tell me because I usually end up with that guy on the moon to make it easier on the rest.

IF you are in, Please POST in this thread that you are "IN".  Then send me a PM with
Your Forum Name
Your real name (for postal delivery)
YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS AS IT WOULD APPEAR ON A LABEL FOR YOUR HOME COUNTRY!!!!!*
Brief description of your hobby interests AND T-shirt Size!

I have lived in the Americas and in various European countries... everybody does their postal addresses different, SO PLEASE write it to me, Line by line, as it would go on a label.  Put Capitol Letters where they go, line breaks where they go etc etc...

For example:
Guy Random
312 Amselweg
71032 Boeblingen 
Germany

STILL NOT SURE?

If you are skeptical, take a look at the other Years
2018 Secret Santa Gift Exchange http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=113404.msg1418793#msg1418793
2016 Secret Santa Gift Exchange http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=94975.0
2015 Secret Santa - Christmas Gift Exchange or, "How to have a Mini Christmas!"  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=84096.0

* addendum  1
It has been asked, so I will put the answer here for all to see...

Q: Is it ok to just order something online and have it shipped to your secret Santa? 
A: Of Course!  Its always nice to get a home cooked present, but if you gotta go online retail, no problem
This also works great if you want to dodge international shipping.  Just go to an online retailer in your giftee's country and buy/have shipped to them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:09:59 PM by Revfan »

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
Re: 2019 LAF Secret Santa Gift Exchange!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 10:35:20 AM »
Here is the list as of Saturday, Nov 09  I count 17.
Registration will end Midnight (whatever time zone you are in) Sunday Nov 10.
I'll take Monday to compile the list and who's got who... and then e-mail them out Mon/Tuesday (depending on how life is going).

If you see your name below, I have you as in and have your details.  If you want in, and don't see your name below, Post in the thread "I am in" and immediately send me your details as described in the OP/Main Post.

Revfan
Sterling Moose
Mason
Hu Rhu
Harry Faversham
flags_of_war
LordOdo
Blackwolf
Dentatus
McMordain
N.C.S.E
VSF Gamer
gweirda
Bluewillow
tyrionhalfman
Blackwolf
FionaWhite
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:25:02 AM by Revfan »

Online Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »
I'm in!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »
I am in.

And I do not mind getting the 'on the moon' postal address if it makes things easier.
 ;)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »
Definitely in.  :D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
I'm in...

"Wha'dya want... H.E. or A.P.??? >:("

;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:01:15 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
I'm in

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
These are always very nice to be part of!

So I'm in!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »
I'm interested, but sadly I'm back to looking for more work...so I don't think I can afford the risk of international shipping!  I will be watching this though, always good fun. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »
I am in again!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
Yeah,why not.
I'm in. :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 03:22:23 AM »
Sure, I'm in.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
I’m in  :)

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »
Well we have 10 after the first day.  We will close registration November 10th.  It would be great to pick up a bunch more, so if you are virtual buddies with anyone on the forum, send them a message and have em' join in!

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
I got a few PMs already....

Just a reminder, don't forget to send me all the details stated above... I am missing addresses and interests already.

Forum Name
Real name
Postal Delivery Address
COUNTRY

Interests

It "should" look like this when I get it

TidleyWinks
John Doe
1234 Anonymous Way
Bumfick, Idaho 12345
USA

My interest are Generic 28 mm Fantasy stuff.  More of an old school AD&D pre-slotta guy
Can always use basing & Scenery Stuff though.
Love Surprises
2XL shirt

I basically cut and paste what you write me into a spreadsheet/table. I use the address/COUNTRY to sort (and if we have enough players, I try to sort by interest too... that way a guy into pulp space men can get another guy/gal into the same thing). 
Then when I go to send them out, I cut and paste into a PM to you.  That is why formatting is so critical on the addresses.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 12:23:28 PM by Revfan »