Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rise of Skywalker trailer three  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: Rise of Skywalker trailer three
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 08:11:35 PM »
Am I missing something?
Not unless you tried to follow the plot or understand the setting. Generally, people who actually like sci fi movies don't argue that they're just dumb, meaningless special effects reels. Except with these new Star Wars movies, I guess?

Personally, I'm not ready to concede that sci fi movies should just be video game cut scenes.

But the most important question is still ... who are Rey's parents?  I refuse to believe the one off 'they were nobody' line.
I doubt Kylo Ren would have any information about Rey's parents if they were in fact nameless junkies. His insistence to her that there were nobodies probably has more to do with him suggesting that they are not important to her identity than being a literal reveal that as a matter of absolute fact that her parentage will never matter to the story.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:15:13 PM by Manchu »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 09:36:49 PM »
Generally, people who actually like sci fi movies don't argue that they're just dumb, meaningless special effects reels.

Nah, man. I'm just in it to sit and be happy for a bit. There are enough real things in life that demand my anxiety and angst. An $8 movie can be something that I enjoy for what it is.

Want to know how far my willingness to smell the roses and accept movies for what they are will go? I liked all the Transformer movies!  lol Dude, the 8 year old me that imagined all those giant transforming robot battles while playing with an Optimus Prime (missing an arm) in my bedroom (not a euphemism) LOVED that stuff! Nothing dumb about it. Transformer toys were never meant to be high art, and the movie played out about like my kid brain. Plot? Who cares. Lasers? PEW PEW! Optimus missing an arm?!!? EXACTLY LIKE MINE!!!  :o

Star Wars could only be made better if all of the actors were forced to only articulate their bodies at the shoulder and hip as they moved around. You know, and add lasers and a plot my 8 year old brain can enjoy and I'm going to have a good time. Horses on a Star Destroyer? I can get behind that. When all you have is a Playskool horse and a Luke Skywalker with his retractable lightsaber broken off so it looks like he is holding a flashlight, you just make it work as a kid. It's fun, you roll with it. Movies don't need to be more than that. Have fun, push the "I believe" button, gaze in wonder as real life takes a back seat for a bit.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 09:51:33 PM »
I don't begrudge you your happiness.

But surely you would not enjoy the bright lights and loud noises any less if there were in addition some coherent exposition, plot, and story.

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 08:54:10 PM »