Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Atomic Cafe 1957] Introduction to RadZombies  (Read 7682 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
[Atomic Cafe 1957] Introduction to RadZombies
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »
At Historicon in two weeks, I hope to be running a demo game of AC57 on Saturday night. Brigade will also have an updated rules booklet available for sale (I think it will run about $5 and include everything released up until now as well as the Rad Zombie stats). Here, for your reading pleasure, is the introduction to the RadZombies.

No one knows where the first RadZombie appeared. By the time word of them had reached the many roving gangs in the post-apocalyptic US, they had spread to most areas of the continent. The few remaining scientists with facilities to work in, have been able to determine that the zombies are not individual creatures, but a host of quasi-intelligent bacteria inhabiting the corpse of a human. The bacteria have so far only been spotted in human cells and not in any other creature, whether this will continue to be the case remains to be seen.

The RadZombies survive in colonies. They only venture out of their lair for two reasons: feeding and spreading. If too many of the host bodies in a colony have become Bloaters, the colony moves out and looks to infect new hosts. Even those that are not Bloaters follow the instinct to spread.

There are 4 different types of RadZombie:

Runners: These are the recently infected. The bacteria goes straight to the brain of those infected and death, once bitten, usually occurs within minutes. Since these corpses are fresh, the bacteria have far greater movement and control of the body. They may appear stronger and faster than normal humans as the bacteria work quickly to push the limits of the new host. Runners are more susceptible to damage as any wound causes the loss of bacteria needed to control the host body and the bacteria have not multiplied enough to replace those that are lost.

Shamblers: Once a Runner has been infected for some time, normal decay and wear and tear sets in as the bacteria cannot repair damage to the host. Fluids begin to dry and the creature takes on a shambling, jerky gait. Not as fast as Runners, the Shamblers are more resilient. They can suffer extreme damage before going down.

Bloaters: These are zombies that have had the bacteria in them multiply to an extreme number. The host body appears bloated and may already show signs of splitting open. Bloaters can take an incredible amount of damage before dropping, but even then, they are dangerous as a Bloater could explode, showering those nearby with the bacteria.

Minders: Though there is no individual intelligence in a single bacteria, once a colony is established, the collective intelligence is controlled from a single individual. These creatures direct the rest of the colony. They can be easily identified as their heads have usually expanded to larger than normal with irregular protuberances and lumps. It is rumored that the Minder is actually a living host and not a corpse like the rest of the colony. Minders are extremely rare and they have been known to emit some kind of psychic attack that can render victims immobile (making it easier for the colony to feed or spread.)
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Atomic Cafe 1957] Introduction to RadZombies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »
Interesting...makes all the zombie movies I have watched in the past make sense!! Thanks Operator5
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »
Good stuff!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »
Interesting, cannae wait for the pictures of these Zeds.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:11:29 PM »
Sounds good- I like the Zed categories. Any zed special characters?
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Any zed special characters?
Good question. I'll have to look into who didn't survive the apocalypse in 1957 and make sure they come back as a zombie.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 12:51:57 AM »
When will figures be available for this gang?  Sounds good! :D

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
I agree with the rest that these sound like some interesting ideas. Can't wait to see some minis.
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
Cracking idea - incorporates old and new ideas very neatly.

I'm being very tempted by the rules...
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »
The descriptions have gone to Brigade so I am sure that Lon has or will be putting someone to work on them shortly.

I expect that the initial release will be of shamblers and runners converted from existing Atomic Cafe sculpts. Bloaters and Minders probably will come later.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 02:26:44 PM »
I may just have been a little out of the loop, but are the rules available, now. Or are they still being written/compiled?

I was looking for them at the Brigade Games site very late one evening (which may account for me having missed an obvious link), but I could not find them...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
The short demo rules are available on the Brigade forum.

The updated rules will be available at Historicon.

The FINAL rulebook will be available later this year.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »
And also, I have just posted Activation Cards to the Brigade forum. These have the Atomic Cafe logo on the back side and the current units that will be in the initial booklet release on the other.

These are designed to fit on the perforated business card stock.

Please note that Brigade requires you to join their forum in order to access the content.

http://brigadegms.com/forum/index.php?topic=166.0

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
Brigade will also have an updated rules booklet available for sale (I think it will run about $5 and include everything released up until now as well as the Rad Zombie stats).

what mean  booklet ?
is these booklet are binding or is it a loose package of copys ?
where can I get it if I can´t be at Historicon ?

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »
Booklet means that it won't be the full book. I will probably comb-bind the 12-15 pages that will be in it. There will probably be only enough copies for Historicon, but I think we can offer the PDF for sale as well.