Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tilean Campaign  (Read 113593 times)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: Pictures from my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #330 on: November 12, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »
His player is really devious. I play the part of his NPC advisers and sometimes end up toning down his plans!

I haven't seen the guy for a while. I hope and pray he's still up for it when I can get it all flowing again!
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #331 on: November 12, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »
I hope so too - a true machiavellian prince!

Though I hope he gets his comeuppance in the end...

Which factions are controlled by players?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #332 on: November 12, 2020, 09:11:34 PM »
Gibby (this forum) is the Skaven Grey Seer (most recently joined)

Daz was the vampire duke and the vampire duchess, but he pulled out of the campaign at the start of a massive battle because he wanted to play a football league equal points every game type of affair!

Matt is Duke Guidobaldo

Ant is General Valcenburgh

Jamie was Boulderguts and is now the Sartosans

Craig was Remas (Arch Lector Calictus) then Fr Carradalio of the Disciplinati di Morr, and is now the dwarfen king Jaldeog. Some of the dwarfs were his own figures in the 1980s.

Damo is Lord Alessio of Portomaggiore.

Remas, Luccini, the Compagnia del Sole and the (still to appear) Wood Elves are all NPCs, as was Khurnag, the Sons of the Desert and the tryant Prince Girenzo. Lots of the smaller realms are NPC, like Verezzo and Urbimo. The most 'talkative' characters, like Biagino and Glammerscale and Perette and the Compagnia Chancellors are of course all NPCs, and allow me to give a story insight to the world, which is driven by the players actions. Every now and again a player will help me write the actual words of a story, especially if it involves a conversation with their character. Some players have written proclamations and letters, etc, some get me to write them as if they have ordered their servants to do it.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #333 on: November 13, 2020, 12:22:58 AM »
reading how the campaign work is just as exciting as reading the story itself.

It really shines a light on the amount of work this requires to pull it off. How long did you plan for the campaign to last?

Do you already an ending in mind (no spoilers!) or are you just going to let it run its course?

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #334 on: November 13, 2020, 12:28:58 AM »
His player is really devious. I play the part of his NPC advisers and sometimes end up toning down his plans!

I haven't seen the guy for a while. I hope and pray he's still up for it when I can get it all flowing again!

That sounds true to character for Skaven!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #335 on: November 14, 2020, 05:23:49 PM »
...How long did you plan for the campaign to last? Do you already an ending in mind (no spoilers!) or are you just going to let it run its course?

The campaign will last as long as me and the players allow it to, and there is no ending planned as the players' actions and dice-determined events mean I have no idea where it is going. I simply report events, and have NPC ponder the future (etc) along the way. Characters die unexpectedly all the time (including favourites) while other fade into obscurity and then sometimes re-emerge. The players add a huge element of realism, as me, the GM, only knows how events will actually unfold as decisions and orders are sent to me, battles are played, and NPCs roll on hastily made charts of 'likely' actions made be me as and when necessary. So even with NPCs I might come up with 6 different possible actions or responses, but I don't know which one the dice will pick!

I have to say, doing it this way really carries the GM along too. Of course I do influence it in the sense that I play the part of PC's NPC advisors, and my figure collection can sometimes drive what stories are possible. But a lot of the time I am modelling and painting to keep up with events and what might be happening next! I have painted entire armies (plural) for this campaign!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »
@Padrissimus might you eventually publish a summary of your campaign rules?

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #337 on: November 14, 2020, 10:37:31 PM »
I agree it is good to get an insight into how you run the campaign. I think it is really cool how you never know what will happen next.

Having read the whole shebang over a short period, it is striking how many of the original characters are dead (or undead!) or otherwise missing.

The thing that tipped Guidobaldo over the edge for me was the killing of the lord of verezzo. Before that he was heartless but understandable. Framing someone else for brutal assassination was just too much!

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
I also would love to learn the campaign rules, it's sure to be a great source of inspiration.

I'm also curious to see pictures of  your complete collection, especially after this comment
my figure collection can sometimes drive what stories are possible. But a lot of the time I am modelling and painting to keep up with events and what might be happening next! I have painted entire armies (plural) for this campaign!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
I am afraid I haven't time to lay out the armies and take snaps, but I can dig out some old pictures of some of the armies ...

I painted a large army of Morrite cultists (the pics are in this thread earlier, but here's one)

And a large force to be the zombies they became after defeat. Here are some close up ...

I painted the condottieri army of the Compagnia del Sole ...

I painted these (and more since) to be used as part of the Tilea NPC realms' little armies and militia ...

I painted these halflings to be the militia of certain parts of Verezzo

Lots of conversion...

I painted a small force of Bretonnian Mercs to be the 'Brabanzon'

Of course, I always have to model a few 'standing around' types for the story pics.

I added a lot of models to my pirate army, most recently after they looted pikes, a new regiment ...

(I also have an undead pirate army cos you never know)

Sometimes I just have to convert figures, like changing livery and shields to suit their new masters. Here are dwarfen mercenaries in the employ of Remas ...

And right now I am working on, among other things, some new riders for the brigand 'Arrabiatti' Brotherhood (the name in the Rennaissance sense.)

There's a few I can find fairly quickly. I have also added substantially to me Skaven and Remans, amongst others.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »
This thread continues to deliver. Great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #341 on: November 15, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »
I'm in awe at the amount of work and dedication it must have taken you over the years to achieve these numbers.

painting, planning, converting...
and everything ends up fitting together just perfect.

Where are those dwarfs miniatures from?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #342 on: November 15, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
The halfling pike unit looks sweet.

Excellent work overall, I love this thread.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »
I'm in awe at the amount of work and dedication it must have taken you over the years to achieve these numbers.

painting, planning, converting...
and everything ends up fitting together just perfect.

Where are those dwarfs miniatures from?

The dwarfs are ancient Grenadier models, I think. My friend painted them in circa 1987 very very simply. At some point I touched them up. Then recently I added the basic crossed keys of the Reman Church of Morr (my Warhammer version of the Renaissance Catholic Church).

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #344 on: November 15, 2020, 11:07:23 PM »
It's nice how the campaign enables you freely to create new units, without much need to worry about some tight army list constraints