Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tilean Campaign  (Read 114336 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Pictures from my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #390 on: December 29, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
Hope this helps
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer/Tomb-Kings%20.pdf

and this, too
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer/WARHAMMER-RULEBOOK-.pdf

Yes, it does, and thank you very much! It's good to see that they fixed the point limit on the Banner of the Hidden Dead, so that chariots could actually be raised as per the description...

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #391 on: December 31, 2020, 12:18:13 AM »
Truly, a stunning collection, campaign and body of work. I’m going to start reading from the beginning on the website now.
I love your painting style. Do you leave the base coat for the shadows, or paint them in later?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #392 on: December 31, 2020, 12:29:57 AM »
As all the figures until a year ago were done with enamels, I could just black undercoat then block paint over leaving gaps, then correct the black if I messed up here and there.

For a year now I have been trying to find a way to do a similar technique with acrylics, and I still haven't mastered the new medium. I just want my new figures to match my old ones in the pics!

Now I have to prime and varnish and anti shine - none of which was necessary for 35 years of enamels! Aargh.

I hope you like the campaign - do please comment whether you like the writing or not. To me, the writing is the important bit, despite the fact that I spend more than 90% of my hobby time on the modelling and painting for the story pictures and the battles! I'm right in the middle of a third play-by-mail battle right now, involved in some very complicated rules debates, whilst embarassingly having to report shockingly bad die rolls to the players!
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #393 on: December 31, 2020, 12:33:30 AM »
Ah it’s the enamels that make them so special. I’ve only ever used acrylics, growing up in the old Citadel era of paints that became Coat d’Arms. Are enamels still available?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2020, 12:39:44 AM »
Are enamels still available?

They are. They are expensive and problematic, though. Every fourth or fifth pot was no good from the off! And the reds and yellows rarely worked well. But I was so used to them that it was all to be expected. What stopped me from using them a year ago was when I realised how much white spirit fumes I must have breathed over the decades working for a vast number of hours in small, ill ventilated rooms, cleaning brushes with white spirit every few minutes to keep them from hardening and being ruined, while the kitchen roll pieces I had cleaned the brushes on dried a foot from my face, evaporating the white spirits constantly.

I hope I am putting you off experimenting, for your health!

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2020, 07:46:54 AM »
I wonder if the same effect can be achieved with acrylics?
I do have a vague memory of tying to paint a starter kit set car with Humbrol tins that came in the pack. Or was it a nightmare...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #396 on: January 01, 2021, 11:15:59 PM »
I wonder if the same effect can be achieved with acrylics?

Apprently, not easily. And maybe not at all. If I try to get the same solid colour with acrylics, the paint is too thick and looks bad.

I think am going to have to find a way to paint which creates something similar to my old style. Or maybe stop trying, and learn how to paint the 'modern' way!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #397 on: January 02, 2021, 07:17:16 PM »
The petard just exploded in our play-by-email battle.

Moments before ...

Then

Holy Moly! I just blew up my toy castle!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #398 on: January 03, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
That's a spectacular effect!

P.S.: I hope that the spearmen will beware of a pincer attack from the towers...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #399 on: January 03, 2021, 05:27:06 PM »
Except the defenders are the fragment that survived a previous battle, and a small 'Standing Force' of little consequence. The walls and moats were their only real hope!

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #400 on: January 03, 2021, 06:54:49 PM »
IS that a moat around the walls?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #401 on: January 03, 2021, 06:58:37 PM »
IS that a moat around the walls?

Yes! You can see it in the earlier pic, as well as two of the three moat bridges that are being trundled up to it. See http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120392.msg1630189#msg1630189

The table top ...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #402 on: January 04, 2021, 12:18:08 AM »
We have only the last three combats in turn 8 (siege games are longer) of our play-by-email battle left to do.

Here are some of the 'in-game' photos the game generated so far, which I cleaned up a bit while waiting for my players to respond. We have been at the game on and off for a week!

I will enjoy writing the story/report! I will want to do a prequel story first, as usual, with posed, more artistic photos, so it'll be a while before the report is out.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:38:19 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #403 on: January 05, 2021, 11:29:20 PM »
Apprently, not easily. And maybe not at all. If I try to get the same solid colour with acrylics, the paint is too thick and looks bad.

I think am going to have to find a way to paint which creates something similar to my old style. Or maybe stop trying, and learn how to paint the 'modern' way!

I also had to suddenly stop using enamels. I literally became allergic to them overnight.
The technique for acrylics I have found to be very different. Nowadays I use a white undercoat. Paint on block colours and then brush on a dark dip.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #404 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:28 PM »
Help me out, Swiftnick. It is all so alien to me, and I think many folk oversimplify what actually has to be done. I tried a white undercoat with some and the paint just peeled off.

So, is this the actual sequence

Primer coat (brushed?)
white undercoat
block colours
dip
Varnish
Antishine

Which of these is acually unnecessary? Perhaps one of them, done well with the right product, makes another redundant?

And, what is 'Dip'? What named products consitute dip?

I lterally have no clue.

Like tonight I was 'priming' some ghosts (never had to prime enamels, just black undercpoat and away). The white primer doesn't go on, and bubbles bizarre. The black is better but I want a lighter base to experiment on. So I mixed my black and white primer and made a grey primer! Which, when dry, I intend to undercoat grey over.

I have some GW 'effect' paint bllue to wash over it, but I might no do so 'cos it was basically a rubbish result last time and I painted over it all!

So a really simple description of the sequence of products would be ace!