Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any comments on how Soldiers of God plays?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Any comments on how Soldiers of God plays?
« on: October 27, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »
I have been searching for a game that can play larger solo battles .  What I have been able to find about these rules makes me think they could fit the bill.  Does anyone here have experience of the rules.  How do they play/what are they like?

Thanks

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Any comments on how Soldiers of God plays?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 06:45:43 AM »
i bought then rules a few years ago but I've never had a chance to pay them!

From what I remember from reading the rules, the mechanisms are quite clear (albeit there are a few grammatical errors) and they read like they will play smoothly.

As to how well they reflect the warfare of the Crusading era? I can't really say as I haven't had a chance to play the rules.

If you're based in the NE of England or willing to travel we could give them a go?

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 08:23:10 AM »
Atheling, kind of you to offer.  Will be in the NE of England next year at some stage; Cycling Hadrian's Wall! Otherwise I'm a about 19000 km away. lol

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 08:52:40 AM »
Here's my mini review of the game:

https://tewblogger.blogspot.com/2016/06/soldiers-of-god-aar.html

There are a couple of minor errors in it.

I found the game to be fun and interesting. However there were a couple of issues. A couple of the card special abilities were proper game-changers, so if I were to play again, I would disallow those. I did enjoy the games but stopped playing after about ten plays.

On reflection, because of the defensive nature of some of the best abilities, I found that the game favoured sitting there and managing your defences, and using bigger units, and penalised more expansive attacking. So a lot of the combats got very grindy.

I don't want to sound too negative, coz it's definitely a fun and interesting game with a novel mechanic.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 08:56:50 AM by monkeylite »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
Atheling, kind of you to offer.  Will be in the NE of England next year at some stage; Cycling Hadrian's Wall! Otherwise I'm a about 19000 km away. lol

That might cause a few problems!!  lol

However, no obstacle is insurmountable  ;) :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 08:59:43 AM »
Here's my mini review of the game:

https://tewblogger.blogspot.com/2016/06/soldiers-of-god-aar.html

There are a couple of minor errors in it.

I found the game to be fun and interesting. However there were a couple of issues. A couple of the card special abilities were proper game-changers, so if I were to play again, I would disallow those. I did enjoy the games but stopped playing after about ten plays.

On reflection, because of the defensive nature of some of the best abilities, I found that the game favoured sitting there and managing your defences, and using bigger units, and penalised more expansive attacking. So a lot of the combats got very grindy.

I don't want to sound too negative, coz it's definitely a fun and interesting game with a novel mechanic.

Thanks for posting this up  8)

The one thing that immediately strikes me is the small number of miniatures for each 'unit', which is great if you like that but it's not really my style. I prefer more miniatures- they just have a greater visual impact.

Do you think there would be a way of playing the game with larger 'units' monkeylite?

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »
Thanks for posting this up  8)

The one thing that immediately strikes me is the small number of miniatures for each 'unit', which is great if you like that but it's not really my style. I prefer more miniatures- they just have a greater visual impact.

Do you think there would be a way of playing the game with larger 'units' monkeylite?

Yeah, it's any size base, with the same size square bases across the board. Units are 2 to 4 bases each, so you could field a single base of 16 figures and have 4 of those for a large unit. Or whatever you fancy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:53:22 AM by monkeylite »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »
Yeah, it's any size unit, with the same size square bases across the board. Units are 2 to 4 bases each, so you could field a single base of 16 figures and have 4 of those for a large unit. Or whatever you fancy.

Yeah, that sound better but it still involves removing bases whatever the number of miniatures on the base, which means a large chunk of the unit being taken off all at once. I was wondering if there might be a way of  removing say an increment of a base? I know, I'm over complicating things but the idea was to use the rules for a demo game and I want the game to last the whole show or thereabouts :)

Hope that makes sense?

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 10:05:46 AM »
Yeah, that sound better but it still involves removing bases whatever the number of miniatures on the base, which means a large chunk of the unit being taken off all at once. I was wondering if there might be a way of  removing say an increment of a base? I know, I'm over complicating things but the idea was to use the rules for a demo game and I want the game to last the whole show or thereabouts :)

Hope that makes sense?

Not really sure what you mean. You never remove bases in the game, until the whole unit is destroyed, and you remove the whole unit. 'Casualties' or 'Disorder' are marked with tokens and when a unit has more tokens than bases, you remove the unit (iirc).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 10:08:21 AM by monkeylite »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »
Not really sure what you mean. You never remove bases in the game, until the whole unit is destroyed, and you remove the whole unit. 'Casualties' or 'Disorder' are marked with tokens and when a unit has more tokens than bases, you remove the unit (iirc).

Ah, OK, my bad.

It would work well with larger bases then :)

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
    • Tenka Fubu: Sengoku Jidai 'blog
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 11:08:43 PM »
I guess my first thought would be that they're not very well suited to solo play as the game is card driven and so hidden information is a big part of the game.

Did a report/description a few years ago here:
https://wargamesasp.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/soldiers-of-god/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 04:43:06 AM »
I guess my first thought would be that they're not very well suited to solo play as the game is card driven and so hidden information is a big part of the game.

Did a report/description a few years ago here:
https://wargamesasp.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/soldiers-of-god/

Thanks for that Osmoses  8)