Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Muskets & Tomahawks II  (Read 8598 times)

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
Re: Muskets & Tomahawks II
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
Fly-
I remember.  Still got your adaptations around.  All based on experience rather than "lights v. regulars v. indians, etc."
I haven't tried them, as I'm not sure that's a good way to divide up the troop units.  It does the trick of getting different units acting on different cards, and it does force one to decide which troops to use for which task, but its not like the AWI/FIW troop types that actually have significantly different abilities.
I may be asking too much.   You know, the whole "search for the holy grail rule set".
I still appreciate your responding "on that other site" ;)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
Pan,

Oh ok, you got it!   :)

Yeah, the ACW troop types in my mod are less apparent compared to the FIW/AWI (fewer classes, as the infantry were similarly trained), however, it's the experience between the combatant infantry that allows some troops to have a "skirmishing" ability (this basically swapping over to the previous Irregulars card class in M&T).

So the ACW infantry types we're employing -
Regulars*
Green Regulars
Skirmishers (Regulars* when deployed in skirmish order)
Militia
The troops are further defined by their armament - SB muskets, rifle muskets, or breach-loaders/repeaters, and further if Sharpshooter trained (some of those with repeater rifles also).

Seeing the variances possible here, there's actually quite a few infantry 'classes', and with meaningful battlefield differences.  Throw in the different artillery types, cavalry armed with carbines vs. shotguns, and then when operating dismounted.....

Anyway, it's working for our group, and keeps them playing 'M&T'. 

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »
Sounds good Nick.

Count me in!!
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
I'll be in as well. Have have many very enjoyable games with M&T and Alex generally writes some great rules. I did most of my FIW collecting about 10 years ago, so had to cobble together an array of manufacturers to cover the troop types I was interested in fielding.

Posted this figure size comparison on the Big BNs board, but thought I'd share here, as it's topical to the discussion.  I would expect the NS sculpts to be very much like the unshaven British regular in the center. 

L-R: Conquest (WL), Crusader/Northstar (now Badger Games according to Nick), GM, Crusader/Artizan, GM, OG 2x (selected for Hey Steve poses).  As you can see, the Conquest stuff is more like true 25mm, though they're finely detailed. GM are quite hefty and much larger than all the rest, and OG are just kind of awkward...

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 05:10:15 AM »
I pre-ordered mine today, with all the figures. I also play with FlyXWire and his mods work very well. Always a great game.

Looks like I will be painting up some F&IW figures.

Offline infinite_array

• Student
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 09:16:43 PM »
I just found the articles that Studio Tomahawks has been posting over on Facebook about the changes to the new edition, and I like what I'm seeing.

The changes to d10s will allow for more granularity between unit types, and the command points will add some interactiviy to the turns (I wonder what appropriately themed tokens could be?). I also like the three card hands and the "time" cards that might end a turn early.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 09:32:39 PM »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:36:31 PM by pixelgeek »

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »
I'll be joining the Nickstarter on Friday,(Happy Valentine's Day to me!!).
I'm guessing the system would work well for the second Seminole war.
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
Perfect for it. You wouldn't need a separate army list book, the 1812 war is so close just go with that list.

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2020, 01:27:54 PM »
Thanks Nick, that's great.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2020, 05:14:58 PM »
Nick;
I am wondering how would the new figures for Muskets and Tomahawks V.2 compare in size to the Galloping Major Miniature figures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2020, 05:22:29 PM »
You're asking me? I've never seen a Galloping Major figure, much less own one.

Oh wait, no, they fit in perfectly...

lol Honestly, I don't know, but I can't imagine painted and based you'd notice any difference on the tabletop.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2020, 06:52:32 PM »
There are a few comparative images on the web. This one (from Jay`s Wargaming Madness Blog) has the earlier Northstar miniatures included:

http://jayswargamingmadness.blogspot.com/2013/01/fiw-comparative-figure-size.html

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
Thanks Traveller for the information and picture.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2020, 02:06:27 PM »
Hi Folks

Just to remind you the Nickstarter pre-orders for Muskets & Tomahawks II end tonight at Midnight (GMT).

http://nstarmagazine.com/MUSKETS_AND_TOMAHAWKS_II.htm

If you join in now, you save some money, you get 3 free figures and we'll be shipping your rules out before we make them generally available. And as we've got £45K worth of orders to send out, it'll be a few weeks before you'll be able to get M&T II through the normal channels.

Nick