Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes:  (Read 24150 times)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Halflings
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2022, 10:42:48 AM »
Two more bashed Wargames Atlantic halflings ...

The standard bearer has an old GW Bretonnian bit as the standard on a pike arm. The 'musician' is actually an ale-barrel carrier, which I reckon inspires the troops as well as any drum beater or horn blower! Again (I think), a GW Bretonnian piece.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 09:14:57 PM by Padrissimus »
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2022, 01:07:03 PM »
Great idea on the ale carrier.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2022, 04:27:43 PM »
Some great kit bashing and painting there. Looking forward to seeing them all in action.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »
Thanks Grumpy and Little O'.

Churning on with the halflings - Here's a company of kit-bashed halfling crossbowmen. They are Wargames Atlantic figures with GW and Perry crossbows and some Perry and GW heads!

The musician uses one hand to blow the horn, while he holds a crossbow in the other just in case things get 'sticky' and he needs to join in the company's efforts.

The commander

And some of the others closer up.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:46:33 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Pirates
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2022, 06:44:39 PM »
I have completed a new Sartosan Pirate regiment for the campaign army. As with the rest of the army, I used an old fan-made army list which I can no longer find on the web, and modified a little to suit the figures I had. I got the idea for this new crew by being talked into buying the new ogre pirate model now available in Warhammer stores. He’s a lovely figure. I forgot to model and paint his parrot, but I will do so before he is used on the tabletop. I put him on a square base as our campaign began many years ago during 8th ed, and is still using 8th ed rules.

Here's the whole regiment …

And here is Kroll in his front-rank position …

Kroll!

OGRE CAPTAIN KROLL
Kroll M4 WS5 S4 S5 T5 W4 I3 A4 Ld8
Giant Parrot M- WS2 BS- S2 T- W- I2 A1 Ld-
Sea Legs; Fear; Impact Hits: Immune to Psychology; Brace of handguns; Lucky Smasher (magic weapon):All Attacks at Multiple Wounds (D3). Can re-roll 1’s to hit.
Giant Parrot: The parrot cannot fly away (it has been clipped) but it can bite! In 1st round of combat, enemies in base contact with crusher are at -1 to hit.

His crew are Wargames Foundry models (all but one) and are definitely fantasy pirates due to the ear-rings and head/waist scarves which were only really ever in illustrations of pirates not actually worn by early 18th century pirates. (Blame the late 19th century, American illustrator Howard Pyle for the look, based on Spanish folk costume of the time - done so that readers would know who was meant to be who in illustrations!)

I did not have quite enough models for a full regiment of axemen, so I used a spare older Games Workshop/Citadel plastic Free Company figure, and some orcs based on 20mm bases, and two big orcs based on 40x40mm bases (unit filler FTW) thus gaining the necessary footprint of 26 crew.

26 PIRATE CREW: KROLL’s Crew
Crewman M4 WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld7
Scallywag M4 WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A2 Ld7
Scallywag. Sea Shanty Singer. Standard Bearer. Boarding Axes = Great Weapons

These illustrations show just the new figures, and the old GW plastic in the rear rank …

First rank

Second rank

Third rank

Fourth rank

Fifth rank (with a GW model, painted back when I still used enamels)

And the unit fillers …

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 09:15:15 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes Update: Pirates
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2022, 02:17:34 PM »
Looking good! 👍

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2022, 04:16:08 PM »
Here's a regiment of renown regiment I came up with for a competition a few months ago. It has been considerably delayed so I gained permission to post about it if I wanted to. And I do.

Falco Galante’s Balestrieri (Halfling Rangers) 14 pts per model

These mercenary, halfling rangers hail from the hill villages around the Tilean city of Verezzo. Halflings are commonly gifted archers, these fellows exceptionally so, but unlike many of their counterparts they have adopted crossbows to add an extra punch to their missiles. Their weapons are the lighter kind that mounted crossbowmen carry, as heavier ones are too much of a burden on campaign. Although such lighter crossbows can be hand-spanned by foot men, most of Galante’s halflings use windlasses or cranequins. Tactically, they usually move ahead of the army, or more often on its flanks, seeking suitable spots from which to shoot at the foe, either concealed by greenery or protected by walls or fences. Their red pelican standard is used on the march and in parade, but is trailed when sneaking up on the foe, only being raised after the company has revealed its presence, either by emerging in sight of the foe or by shooting.

M4 WS2 BS5 S2 T2 W1 I5 A1 Ld8 Sv6    Unit size: 8-16

Hand weapons; Light crossbows (Range 20", Strength 4); Light armour.
Musician (+ 5 pts); Standard (+10 pts); Champion (+10 pts)
Special rules: Skirmishers; Scouts.

Falco Galante (Halfling Captain) 60 pts

Falco has mastered of the art of ambush and is believed to be as good with a bow as the infamous outlaw Roberto Capuccio (the Pettirosso). Unlike the rest of his company, he carries a bow, rumoured to have poison-tipped arrows. In battle, his shots signal to his company where they should aim, so whenever an arrow fells an enemy, a hail of quarrels follows a moment later.

M4 WS3 BS6 S3 T3 W2 I6 A3 Ld8

Hand weapon, light armor, bow.

Special rules: Poisoned Attacks; Scout; Ambush (Falco and his company may use the Ambushers special rule); No movement penalties in woods.

Note: These rules were modified from the Empire Forum’s old Treachery and Greed & Empire of Wolves campaign army lists.

……………………….

Kit-bashing

These are kit-bashed mainly from the Wargames Atlantic sprues, with Games Workshop and Perry crossbows as well as some Perry and Games Workshop heads!

Here is the musician. One hand is needed to blow the horn, while the other hand holds a crossbow in case things get 'sticky' and he needs to join in the company's efforts.

Unit Champion
A Perry head I believe.

Unit Standard
I used a weird old Bretonnian bit I thought would make a suitably halfling sort of standard ...

Rank and File

Painting
I want to replicate the ‘cartoon’ look of the other of the 35 years’ worth of enamel figures I own, yet also try to improve my often shockingly bad faces and hands. So, I sprayed a primer, painted the flesh, washed the flesh areas with Agrax Earth Shade, then undercoated the rest with black.

From here I blocked on base paints (as the closest acrylic medium to enamels). The end result fits better with my earlier figures!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 09:15:46 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: A Miscellany of Ingenious Scratchbuilds & Kitbashes:
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2023, 09:25:14 PM »
More (Wargames Atlantic) halflings for the army of Verezzo

First up some archers ...

A dude knocking an arrow ...

Who needs a musician when you have beer?

Two kit-bashed guys to serve in the baggage trayne ...

Bolt thrower battery (using Whizzkids' models)

Bolt one

Bolt two

Bolt commander ...

Battery Captain ...

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2023, 09:36:29 AM »
Nice, I do like those halfling models

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2023, 07:47:19 PM »
Two wizards nearly done. Gonna do a test game with the halflings, including these two, this weekend. I need to learn how to command them in the field. They are an NPC realm, but it is my duty as a GM to ensure they are not a complete 'push over'!