Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:12:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Priming the Blood way  (Read 20921 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Priming the Blood way, step-by-step-threading-slowly-and-carefully
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 08:22:39 AM »
Lt. Hardalday? Oh dear, that hurts... o_o ;)

Superb tutorial, though. I hope you find a way to either keep your new cam out of Fiver´s reach or somehow make him realise he´s not to touch dad´s stuff. But the locked cupboard in a locked room in a locked separate building required for the former will probably require less effort than the latter... ;)

Offline Tobsen77

• Scientist
    • Tobsen77 Miniaturen
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 08:33:25 AM »
Great tutorial, I'll have to borrow many ideas from it. I always wondered how to hide the lip of integral-based minis on the washer... you do that with the thick glue...? Tobi

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
Great tutorial, I'll have to borrow many ideas from it. I always wondered how to hide the lip of integral-based minis on the washer... you do that with the thick glue...? Tobi

Thanks Tobi,

Well, filing takes care of a lot of that. I find  that if I file the  bottom I don't need a filler. Also, as I said, epoxy glue doesn't shrink much so it can be used to even out the angle between the integral base and the washer. As for 'thick glue' I think you refer to the tacky glue. As all white glues (Elmers glue, carpenters glue...), it contains a lot of water and will shrink a lot and so will tacky glue which has basically the same formula. They are no good as fillers. Pumice medium can be used as filler but it has to be applied quite thick in that case.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »
That's very good Hammers. Nordic efficiency. Measuring the depth of the washer with calipers? Hmmmm... That's what I call attention to detail  ;)

Did you take the photos with your teeth?  :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »

Well, filing takes care of a lot of that. I find  that if I file the  bottom I don't need a filler.

I file the base as well, but I do use milliput as a filler.  It gives an almost flat appearance over the entire base, once applied.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 10:29:58 AM »
That's very good Hammers. Nordic efficiency. Measuring the depth of the washer with calipers? Hmmmm... That's what I call attention to detail  ;)

Did you take the photos with your teeth?  :D

Nah, the caliper on the washer was just to get a message across. A bit of a flair, I guess. :)

Looks like I got the first person view down...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
About washing miniatures: is it necessary before painting? Some people claim it isn’t but I definitely want to do what I can to prevent paint from peeling off. There are a number of things which can cause this. Release agents in the casting process, grease from fingers, metal and sanding dust from the deburring process, drill oil, greasy finger prints. Silicon residue from polishing discs is especially devious.

1.   I normally clean at the sink but this time, for the sake of consistency, I’ve rigged things up at my workbench. Here’s what I use:  a tub of hot water with just a tiny drop of detergent; a tub of hot rinse water; a soft tooth brush; a stiff flat paint brush and a couple of dental tools.

2.   I start by brushing off loose sand from the base on miniatures. In this case it’s just Mr. Khan since Ltn Hardalday’s (see previous post) base has been done with pumice medium. Don’t be gentle when you do this. Use a stiff brush; it is much better to get rid of too much sand than having it come loose later and stick in the paint job.

3.   I use dental tools to scrape off any dirt which has stuck on the model. Keep especially an eye out for traces off glue. Epoxy have is transparent and hard to see until you have base coated the miniature.  Hot glue is useful put sometimes has a tendency to leave gossamer like snares where they should not be.

4.   Brush the miniature gently in hot, soapy water with a soft tooth brush. You need very little detergent, that’ll save you time rinsing. Try to avoid getting the bases where white glue’s been used very wet, the sand may peel off slightly.

5.   Rinse in hot water…

6.   …and dry with a paper towel. Use good quality paper towels which doesn’t leave annoying fuzz on the miniatures. At this point I often pop the miniature n the  Easy-Bake oven (see previous post) to speed up the drying.

Now they are squeaky clean and ready for Priming the Cptn Blood Way...

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »
VERY explanatory.  Thanks for posting.  Love the easy-bake oven, which is recommended for curing green stuff faster too.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
VERY explanatory.  Thanks for posting.  Love the easy-bake oven, which is recommended for curing green stuff faster too.

Oh yes, green stuff sets in 5 minutes in an Easy-Bake. That's the reason I built it really.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
Priming the Captain Blood Way

The issue about which colour primer one should use has been heard over and over. Let's just say for now that it is just a matter of preference. These days I use primarily white spray-on car primer (local brand with a good ‘bite’ and granularity) when I do batches of individual figures of, say, more than five. For smaller batches and for touch-ups I use white acrylic gesso, which is easy to dilute and to apply and it adheres well.  I have a set of black equivalents when that is called for (horses, horror miniatures etc.). For resin miniatures I use Humbrol brush-on enamels, since I find that resin can have a slightly oily surface which doesn’t always go that well with water based paints. I am not stuck on certain brands; I find that Army Builder, GW and local brands seem to do the same trick. In the picture you can see that I use Liqutex; it works and I will probably stick with it for only that reason.

The Blood method which I am about to describe involves a white aerosol. Here I am shaking in it well for about a minute. With kids in the house I want to do this outdoors even though it is a bit windy and chilly. The problem with spray painting  is that it both is and is not an outdoors job. Propellants, solvent and paint can be harmful to inhale so you need good air circulation. On the other hand wind, humidity and can play merry hell with with the paint spray.

I’ve lined the Hammer Industries Corkmeister 2000 System (see previous post) at the edge of a stool so I am able to get at it from a proper distance with the spray can, which is about 25 cm. I always start spraying before (in this case to the left of), the first miniature, not directly at it, and make a two or three quick passes, ending well past the last miniature. The reason I do this is that I noticed that if I start spraying *directly* at the first miniature the paint tends to build up thicker on the miniatures on either end.

I only want a light covering. If the primer is sprayed on runny and thick details will be lost and the paint will not adhere as well. The primer should look dry when applied. Once done, into the Easy-Bake (see previous posts) they go to speed up drying time. Once dry (to the touch) and set (the medium has hardened), I do another turn. Two, maybe three passes I find is generally what’s needed. Turn the can upside down and spray till no paint come out. This is to prevent the muzzle from clogging.

I did the second pass indoors because to much of the primer blew away outdoors this particular day. Here’s the result, Ltn Hardalday and Mr Khan (see previous posts) in their shiny whites.

At this point there are blind spot on the miniature which the spray-on primer did not reach. You could prevent this by spraying from every conceivable angle but that is impractical.

Instead I use white acrylic gesso diluted with a little water to cover the spots where the metal is shining through. I don’t use my best brushes for this work, mind.

Here are the gentleman and the uncouth brigand again, white priming complete.

Now we come to what I think is the clever part of the Blood way of priming. A back base coat has the disadvantage of making details hard to see. What I do here is instead is to enhance details by adding a very dark wash over the white. I want the wash too run into folds and crevices and thus accentuating the various sculpted elements of the miniature (i.e. fingers, belts, eyes, pockets). For this we need a good wash. Richard (Capt. Blood) tells me he uses a heavily diluted mix of black and earth brown acrylics. I am using only black here and a few other ingredients.

Since I need a decent batch of the wash I am mixing it in a glass jar. First I take a few millilitres of a black ink wash. This one is Citadel Badab Black. It is of good quality but I prefer W&N inks, mainly because I hate GW nomenclature (What the hell is a Badab anyway?)

Next I add some flow release. This goes by other names to, like ‘flow improver’, but their purposes are the same: to kill the surface tension of water. This prevents the paint to pool and makes the wash flow into narrow cracks and folds. You can use dish washer rinse agent and even detergent but I don’t since I am suspicious of the additives in them (perfume, colouring, mind control drugs…). I have both W&N and Vallejo flow release in stock. Since you only need very little I keep some in a handy drop bottle and add just a drop in a shot glass of water…

…and after stirring I pour a few millilitres into the glass jar with the ink.

To boost the pigmentation a bit I add a few drops of quality black acrylic paint, in this case it is Andrea.

I test flow and pigmentation on a white ceramic tile until I am happy with the result. The wash should be quite opaque but runny.

OK, happy with the wash I apply it *generously* on Mr. Khan with a soft #2 brush. There *should* be no surface tension but make sure you work the wash into all folds and corners. I do this on the base to.

When the miniature is fully covered lightly wipe of excess wash with a paper towel of decent quality. We want no fuzz remaining. Before I usher Mr. Khan away to the Easy-Bake again I make sure the wash hasn’t pool where it shouldn’t (i.e. on raised areas) and that no folds and cracks have been missed.

Here are the Pathans luminaries just out of the oven…

(left to right: Mullah Ali Djurza, ‘ The Wicked Faquir of Pip’; Mag'louf the Uzbek; Amanoolah Khan and Shere Khan, Wazir Chieftains; Boltok the Rapist; Berk Pasha, Turkish advisor)

…and here is Lieutenant Richard ‘Dick’ Hardalday and his fellow officers.

I hope you can see in the image how well defined the miniatures become after the wash. I think the whole process really helps me see which paints should go where in a way which is hard to achieve with a purely black or white basecoat. I can get a better lustre in certain colours to because most of the basecoat is still fairly white. I don’t do black-lining much but the wash which has gathered in the folds opens up to that possibility to. Getting the wash opaque but runny enough may be a bit of a trial and error at first. If it is too thin the pigment will stick to the edges of drying medium¸ if to thick it may not flow as you like and also set too fast.

OK, that’s it. Lecture over. Any questions?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:02:01 AM by Hammers »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 03:35:47 AM »
This place is genius! A wonderful contribution!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 08:35:53 AM »
I really like that method with the inks. I may need to try it sometime.
Really liking these tutorials keep up the good work Hammers.
One question what is gesso? Is it just a brand of paint or something special?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »
I really like that method with the inks. I may need to try it sometime.
Really liking these tutorials keep up the good work Hammers.
One question what is gesso? Is it just a brand of paint or something special?

Thabk you.

Gesso, I should have said. It is a priming medium used in the art world. It is applied to panels (panneaus?) to give it the right prroperties to receive paint.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-gesso.htm

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »
Very nice topic! A lot of cool information.
Concerning your last step, I must say the results are very similar to using P3 Armor Wash straight from the bottle. I use this stuff all the time when priming over white to add blacklining. I just paint it in and around the white primer. I do it quite undiluted, but you can add some Vallejo Glaze Medium to make it flow better. You can see an example here:
http://paintoholic.nl/nmm.html

Here are examples of painted miniatures done with white primer and P3 Armor Wash:
http://paintoholic.nl/images/tigersoldier.jpg
http://paintoholic.nl/images/vchelsing.jpg

And you should really make a webpage with this whole topic as one big tutorial. It really deserves it 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »
And you should really make a webpage with this whole topic as one big tutorial. It really deserves it 8)

What's wrong with this web page? :)

Interesting to hear there are out-of-the-can products that do the same thing. And thank you for your comments.