Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Gentlemen, We Will Stand and Fight" - AshLAM '19  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
"Gentlemen, We Will Stand and Fight" - AshLAM '19
« on: October 30, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »
It is nearly time to travel far into the grim north for the annual meeting of the three musketeers. A meeting with Athos and Aramis and three full days of gaming. There will be copious amounts of sinew-stiffening liquor and no doubt a few pies! For the past two years the event has been held at Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Deepest Devon (see DevLAM ’17 and DevLAM ’18). However, this year we are meeting in the lovely Derbyshire Dales for AshLAM ’19. This will take place at Vagabond Towers, the home of Aramis.

Vagabond is putting on an Old West game (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120198.0) and Doug em4 is putting on a game of Kill Zone. My contribution has been rather easy this year. I am the proud owner of Silent Invader's beautiful 1914 scenery and figures and my game will be a small action right at the start of the battle of Le Cateau.

The following starts to set the scene for my game at AshLAM '19 entitled "Gentlemen, We Will Stand and Fight".

My apologies for the shameless plagiarism from first Antony Hope's excellent book 'Gentlemen, We Will Stand and Fight' and secondly from the Middlesex Regiment's War Diary. The uncomfortable night spent in the railwayman's tool shed was in fact the story of Captain Cunningham, commander of 'C' Company and his batman, Private McDonald. My rather silly names for characters is in no way intended to be derogatory to the men who fought that day in August 1914. As this game will take place over the Remembrance Sunday weekend it will be a poignant reminder of the horrors of the Great War.

General Sir Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien

General Alexander Heinrich Rudolph von Kluck

In the early hours of 26th August 1914, as the British Expeditionary Force (the Old Contemptibles, as they liked to refer to themselves) retreated in the aftermath of the Battle of Mons, Lieutenant General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien’s Second Corps was facing the most extreme danger. It’s 60,000 fighting troops, exhausted and scattered, were spread out to the north and west of the town of Le Cateau. BEF C-in-C Sir John French’s orders were to continue the Retreat at all costs, while von Kluck was desperate to bring the British to battle.

Sir Horace decided to stand and fight, trusting to the skill, courage and marksmanship of the men who had already proved themselves at Mons three days before, reckoning this preferable ‘than to turn our backs on the enemy in daylight’. He was outnumbered three to one, and some of his fighting battalions and field artillery batteries had only an hour or two to dig in and prepare for battle. And yet by the end of that day the men and officers of Second Corps, with only 1,200 of their own killed, had inflicted casualties on the enemy of nearly 9,000 and delivered him such a blow that the BEF was able to continue the Retreat almost unmolested for the next ten days. It has been called ‘one of the most remarkable British feats of arms of the whole war’. Yet while two brigades of infantry and two brigades of artillery were fighting for their lives on a hill by Le Cateau, only ten miles away the rest of the BEF – Haig’s First Corps – was marching steadily away from them.

In Le Cateau the 19th Brigade were having the devil of a time even before the first shots were fired. The four battalions of the 19th Brigade had come to France to man the lines of communication and they had been hastily pressed into fighting service at Mons. Now, although they came nominally under the orders of the Second Corps under General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien, like many other units they had received no orders cancelling the retreat. No one had been able to find them. They had reached Le Cateau very late and had bivouacked near the railway station. Captain Kenwood-Chef, in command of ‘C’ Company, the 1st Middlesex was fortunate in having Lance-Corporal Spankhurst as his batman and Spankhurst was a very resourceful soldier. Nothing got him down and the news from home that his wife was with child gave him an even sunnier disposition. His cheerful demeanour had been a distinct comfort to Kenwood-Chef on the long retreat from Mons. When the company had settled down in the station yard for the night, Spankhurst had taken it upon himself to find a billet for the Captain. It was no palace, merely a railwayman’s shed between the points a little way along the tracks. It was impossible to stand upright and since the hut was a dumping ground for tools it was not too easy to lie down, but Kenwood-Chef had been grateful. Spankhurst had even managed to produce a mug of hottish tea (and a dash of ration rum) when he poked his head into the shed with the unwelcome news that it was time for Kenwood-Chef to arise from his slumbers. It was a quarter to four in the grey dawn of Wednesday, 26th August and already the exhausted and sleepy Battalion was rousing reluctantly to move off before full daylight. The 1st Middlesex would be the last of the four battalions to move, for this morning they were to be the rear guard to the Brigade and, as rear guard to the Battalion itself, the men of ‘C’ Company were to be the last out of Le Cateau.

Captain Kenwood-Chef summoned the acting commander of 1 Platoon, Colour Sergeant ‘Neddy’ Snapcase, to his tool shed. Neddy had taken over the platoon after the death of Lieutenant Strangely-Brown at Mons. The platoon was now understrength with no hope of replacements at present. The only consolation Neddy thought, as he saluted Kenwood-Chef was that he had a 4-man Vickers machine gun team, attached to his platoon. Including himself, a total of 31 men fit to fight.

“Now then, Snapcase, good man, good man. 1 Platoon have fought bravely and now I have a very important job for your lads”.

“Sah!” replied Snapcase, always a good answer when replying to an officer.

“Our orders are to be clear of the town by 05.30am this morning. It’s now 04.00am and I see no way that 1st Middlesex as rear guard will be able to quit Le Cateau until about 06.30am”.

Neddy glanced about at the chaos in the railway yard and further afield and could only agree. The RAMC boys were still trying to evacuate the last of the wounded by stretcher and ambulance. The roads were blocked by BEF General Service wagons as the other companies of the 1st Middlesex tried to leave nothing behind for the enemy. Civilian carts with panicked drivers interfered with the process and there were abandoned stores, ammunition and battalion transport everywhere.

“As you know Snapcase, ‘C’ Company are to be the rear guard to protect 1st Middlesex, I want Number 1 Platoon to be ‘C’ Company’s rear guard. You are to defend the eastern edge of Le Cateau, specifically the following buildings; L’Oeuf de Canard, the bicycle repair shop, the church, the Boulangerie de L’Eglise and of course, the vital crossroads they command. All clear so far?”

“Sah!” replied Neddy.

“Good show, Colour Sergeant. I want you to deny the enemy those buildings and the crossroads until you are sure the Brigade has cleared the town. Once you are sure the Brigade is clear, you may effect a fighting retreat and re-join ‘C’ Company as soon as possible. I want you to take Lance Corporal Spankhurst with you to act as your runner. Pip, pip.”

“Sah!” replied Neddy, as he saluted and about-faced. At the double, he ran back to 1 Platoon, closely followed by Spankhurst clutching his .303 Lee Enfield and a snap-sack with all his worldly goods.

So there we have to leave the brave lads of 1 Platoon for the moment as they assess how they will defend their sector of Le Cateau to give the rest of the battalion a chance to establish their battle lines in the open country behind Le Cateau.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:05:38 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: "Gentlemen, We Will Stand and Fight" - AshLAM '19
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 03:04:08 PM »
My inspiration for the following is from a game put together for Partizan 2018, La Gorgue Airfield 1918. I absolutely loved not only the main game but all the superb vignettes all over the lay out. I just had to steal all these lovely ideas. If you have a look through the following three links you will see where all the original ideas came from.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=107318.0

https://over-open-sights.blogspot.com/search?q=la+gorgue

https://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/2018/05/partizan-2018-at-show.html

The following photos are to set the scene for the game at AshLAM '19 and to show some of the confusion on that fateful August morning. Oddly enough, they will not affect the game and will move off the table as the German forces move onto the table. Just a bit of whimsy really!

General Alexander Heinrich Rudolph von Kluck and his staff survey the approaches to Le Cateau. Attached to the staff is a scout pilot who will later make his name as Germany's greatest air-ace.

Casualties waiting to be evacuated from Le Cateau.

A column of mainly walking-wounded enter the town.

Hopefully they can get clear before the German attack reaches the town.

Some of the men are assisting their mates...

The chaps keep their spirits up with a quick fag!

Keep moving, boys, not far now.

Trying to find some wagons for the stretcher cases.

A refugee wagon causing problems for the BEF traffic, blocking the roads. The art connoisseurs amongst you may recognise the Fallen Madonna with the big boobies!

A view from the other side of the refugee wagon.

Sir Adrian Carton de Wiart and his good lady happen to be passing through

Sergeant Neddy Snapcase (centre) and lance Corporal Spankhurst (right) start to position the men of 1 Platoon. Meanwhile a carrier pigeon is dispatched to let Captain Kenwood-Chef know that the Germans are in sight.

Bloody Redcaps! Now there's bound to be a traffic balls-up.

In the front of the motor can be seen the most dangerous combination known to man, an officer with a map. General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, VC, KCB, DSO is trying to reach GHQ with his passengers. Not much chance of that with Private Baldrick driving.

The General's French liaison officer from General Lanzerac's staff, Capitaine Bertrand le Cassercas is hitching a lift with Melchett.

He seems to be accompanied by wine and women and is no doubt (under the influence of Pernod) about to burst into song.

Vive la France!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 03:06:49 PM »
excellent scene setting,already looking forward to the batrep  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
Splendid fun  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Love it

In true Mad Lord style  8) :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:52:32 PM »
Brilliant stuff,and splendid use of the Lady Godiva miniature 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline jim100

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 08:55:06 PM »
The French general is my kind of man lol lol lol

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 10:47:43 PM »
A most excellent introduction to your game, don't you worry we will over run your position and send you back to Blighty quick sticks.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 10:51:40 PM »
A most excellent introduction to your game, don't you worry we will over run your position and send you back to Blighty quick sticks.

I’ve forgotten who’s side I’m on🙁. Bodes well for the outcome.

It looks tremendous and oozing with Snapcase lovlieness (and the signature Snapcase lovely :D).

Doug

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »
Thank you all for your very kind comments. Lady Godiva does seem to be very popular! She and the French chap have been sat in the back of that car unpainted for a very long time and it was a great excuse to use them.

The French general is my kind of man

Mine too, jim100!

don't you worry we will over run your position and send you back to Blighty quick sticks.

I think you will find the 'Die Hards' a pretty tough mob to shift out of their positions. "Die hard the 57th, die hard!"

I’ve forgotten who’s side I’m on

Just to help you out Doug, I am posting some avatars here for each of us. I realise they don't have the correct insignia etc. but I just liked the photos.

Oberleutnant Willi von Emvier, 1 Zug Kommandant, 26th (1st Magdeburg) Infanterie Regiment 'Prince Leopold von Anhalt-Dessau'

Oberleutnant Helmut von Vagabund, 2 Zug Kommandant, 26th (1st Magdeburg) Infanterie Regiment 'Prince Leopold von Anhalt-Dessau'

Colour Sergeant Neddy Snapcase, 1 Platoon, 'C' Company, 1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment

Oberleutnant Willi von Emvier commands 38 infantry soldiers in 1 Zug and has a four-man Maxim machine gun team. Oberleutnant Helmut von Vagabund commands 37 infantry soldiers in 2 Zug and has a four-man Maxim machine gun team. Colour Sergeant Neddy Snapcase commands 28 infantry soldiers in 1 Platoon and has a four-man Vickers machine gun team. There are also a couple of surprise events which will remain 'under-wraps' until the day. The fighting forces are the figures painted by SI and the rules are written by the same rather talented individual. Thanks, Steve.

“Gentlemen, We Will Stand and Fight.”
Le Cateau, August 26th, 1914

Original WW1 Wargaming Rules by Silent Invader for BLAM 2015
Shamelessly butchered and buggered about with by Mad Lord Snapcase for AshLAM ‘19
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:34:35 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
Lovely stuff. Enjoy the weekend and look forward to the AARs....

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
Thanks for bringing me up to speed again, M'lud......I’m about to start serious revision of all previous info sent on the forthcoming game.

Splendid photos - I must say my avatar is appropriately suave and dashingly handsome (Von Emvier) whilst Vagabond's is appropriately sinister, cruel and cold-heated. Yours is.......reassuring  :D

The anticipation levels are cracking up to dangerous heights....

Doug

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
I’m about to start serious revision of all previous info sent on the forthcoming game.

Good plan, Oberleutnant. Also, all necesary printed bumph will be coming your way in a folder I'm bringing with me. Sealed orders from General von Kluck will be handed to the commanders of 1 and 2 Zug at game commencement.   ;)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
Very, very nice
, ,

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 07:51:29 PM »
Another triumph  :-* :-* For who, of course is the question.  I must say that when I read "oozing with Snapcase loveliness" I went hmmmmmmm………   lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.