Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Steel Fists' Late Medieval Mounted Knights...  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
Re: Steel Fists' Late Medieval Mounted Knights...
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 10:28:00 AM »
I agree, with the caveat that we might be dealing with a chicken and the egg scenario ... If a popular rule set was to appear which focused on that period of history, who knows

True to an extent - and it is not just the rules that can bring interest. Easily available documentation of the conflict in question (such as Osprey books; I think they actually have a campaign book on Granada 1492), a historical movie, a new figure line from a major manufacturer (e.g. Perrys) or a set of plastic figures can also generate at least temporary interest.

However, I am afraid that generating big time interest for the Granadan campaigns in wargamers is not an easy topic. Considering the Castilian resources, it was a bit one-sided, and lacking in big famous field battles (plenty of opportunity for sieges and skirmishes, though).

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »
True to an extent - and it is not just the rules that can bring interest. Easily available documentation of the conflict in question (such as Osprey books; I think they actually have a campaign book on Granada 1492), a historical movie, a new figure line from a major manufacturer (e.g. Perrys) or a set of plastic figures can also generate at least temporary interest.

Whilst I agree with virtually everything you say; I would argue that Warhammer Historical had a significant impact on the era's of history that Ancient and Medieval wargamers were playing. This is based on solid evidence from conversations I've had with miniature companies for whom I used to paint professionally. As soon as the respective book was published sales would increase exponentially. Now, I note again, Warhammer Historical is a reasonably rare example due to the expansiveness of their resources.

However, I am afraid that generating big time interest for the Granadan campaigns in wargamers is not an easy topic. Considering the Castilian resources, it was a bit one-sided, and lacking in big famous field battles (plenty of opportunity for sieges and skirmishes, though).

It is a small-ish niche. Possibly so is the French Colonial Invasion of Vietnam? Yet still there is a reasonably successful range of miniatures for that very conflict.

Just my tuppence worth :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
My knights arrived yesterday. Very impressed. I've already started combining them with Perry stuff.

They definitely have a very late 15th century, 1490s feel. Details of the armour suggest its soon to develop into the recognisable 'maximilian' style of the 16th century.

I'd be interested to know if I'm right about this, Simon. Were they specifically designed with the 1490s in mind, or would these armour styles have been around in earlier decades?

It's certainly very nice to have some alternatives to the 'classic' Italian, German and English armours.