Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm , East Africa WW1 , QRF.  (Read 23984 times)

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
Re: 15mm , East Africa WW1 , QRF.
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2022, 11:37:12 AM »
I'm keen to see what the EA Natives and porters will look like.
Most likely I'll get them anyway as I'm trying to get more variety for my Train.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2022, 07:33:27 AM »
Regarding variety in your train, here are the porters I know of: Irregular Miniatures in the Colonial Range (some variants, I think) and there is a female figure with a pot on her head that can be added in even, Old Glory 25s/Bluemoon pack of porters in their Darkest Africa range - largest single grouping with much variety, Rebel Miniatures Pulp Range has a nice porter pack though some of the backpack figures might not be suitable but includes figures carrying ivory tusks, and a less well known but a great pack from Khurasan's historical range of West Sudanese that includes a figure carrying a hand of bananas.

If anyone knows of other figures in 15 mm for porters, please note them here in this thread for the benefit of us all.   What I listed can be used for the earlier period of exploration, not just WWI.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2022, 02:11:10 AM »
Pleased to report the photos are up for the Ruga Ruga, natives, and porters.  The Ruga are all with firearms, 4 poses - one kneeling (not my favorite but adds variety).  Natives are half firearms, half spears which works for me.  Looks like 4 different porter poses.  A nice mix.  An order from me soon!

Nice to get natives with firearms to add variety - can use for more than GEA, should be useful for the whole colonial era.

Here is the link: https://quickreactionforce.co.uk/product-category/qrf/tss-15mm-world-war-1/africa/

edit: And order placed!  (With a few extras here and there)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 06:13:12 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2022, 04:47:55 PM »
Hard to make out the details from these pics, as they're almost like thumbnails at less than 500 pixels each.

Maybe we'll see some of your finished version 15s>, at higher res sometime.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2022, 02:23:08 AM »
Order in but no photos yet - will be 'naked' miniatures if you want a photo any time soon!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2022, 01:58:02 AM »
Here is a link to a blog with some photos of the latest QRF release: https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com

Sorry I am not posting a picture here but I am going to have to relearn how to do that - soon, I hope.  You should be able to click on the photos to make them bigger.  If you are using a phone to view, not much I can do to help there.

Enjoy.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2022, 01:49:31 AM »

Nothing new on the figure front, just testing posting a photo here after not doing it for so long.

edit: Hmm, seems to have worked.  Those are QRF Thompson's gazelles not yet officially released.  Plan to buy 'oodles' once released to build up my African herds.  Just slapped paint on these quickly.  (Please ignore the green stars, was experimenting with editing photos a bit.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 01:51:41 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2022, 11:19:41 PM »
Been awhile what with QRF Miniatures changing hands and moving to new premises but there is some hope:

QRF RE-OPENING
QRF will be reopening for your orders very soon! Keep coming back to check out our products and relaunch discounts.

The above is now posted on their website so keeping my eyes peeled and my credit card primed! And hope the relaunch discount will benefit me!  ::) ;D

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2022, 12:11:26 PM »
For those still following this thread, QRF are back up and running and reintroducing ranges a bit at a time - understandably.  Apparently the new owner, Harry, is the nephew of the former owner, Chas.

Did take advantage of the reopening sale a couple months back.

Alas, still waiting on the Belgians and Portuguese and the African scenics to be released but assured they are still in line to be released.  Understandable delay in ownership change and physical relocation.

I plan to supplement my Belgians with a few packs from the ACW range - and maybe other ranges - to get some rough and irregular looking Force Publique (more for earlier colonial era than WWI).

I have pretty well ordered all I need for all the other participants - using the British (and some Aussies for variety including from Minifigs) for the South Africans and Rhodesians, not that different but different enough to suit me.

For those asking about buildings, the former Crom's Anvils range of buildings appears to be back available through CP Models (and their figures, too - but not WWI suitable): https://cpmodels.co.uk/product-category/15mm-ranges/croms-anvil-scenery-accessories/page/4/

Try not to be put off by the range's focus - the buildings are, in my opinion, quite workable for urban Africa in WWI setting.  I haven't ordered from this range but I have ordered from CP Models and the service was prompt and the figures delightful (Old West in 15 mm).

May order some more buildings - and perhaps a few other interesting tidbits like the pile of Persian carpets.  Lots of cool bits for 'scatter terrain', some not period-centric so broadly useful.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2022, 12:54:18 AM »
Don't forget that many of the forces you use for East Africa can also be used for the war in South West Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_West_Africa_campaign

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2022, 10:23:45 AM »
Hi,

Please take note that any future updates for GEA from QRF from me will be posted here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=138353.msg1761085#msg1761085

Just wanted a little control over the title to make it easier to know what is new.

And has anyone ordered any of the Crom's Anvil buildings for GEA yet?  Also, anyone have any 15 mm Tanga battle game reports with photos?

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2022, 10:35:54 AM »
Tanga.

I have been skirting around gaming that for near 3 decades now, since I got Over the Top by Greg Novak.
I was thinking to game it, but wanted to go there for research.
Many years ago, went to Africa but sadly never got to Tanga, Drove past the turn off to it. (I'd been too sick and we'd run out of funds.)
As I still have the forces, I could just, you know, do it. Crazy idea.

But it would mean I'd have achieved a wargaming goal and have to give up gaming?

Any update on the gazelles?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 10:39:23 AM by Deflatermouse »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »
I think it is painting last figure, not achieving a gaming goal that means giving up gaming (and more) so feel free to achieve the Tanga goal.  And take pictures and regale us all with your achievement!

Alas, the only thing new on the gazelles is the post about the lions.  So there is hope.  Not sure what is taking so long but my secret longing is that they are going to release the whole African scenics range of animals all at once - and cost me a significant pile of pretty pennies.  Or, maybe that is a bit of fantasy.  Matters neither way, only that more is in the pipeline for my massive animal collection for east Africa. 

Currently painted: elephants (66), giraffes (64), African Cape Buffalo (100+2 with riders), okapi (6), vervet monkeys (24+2).  I believe everything else is primed and ready for paint including 194 wildebeest (sourced from Irregular miniatures African cattle, Stone Mountain Miniatures cattle from the Zulu range of figures, and Pendraken's 10 mm actual wildebeest for the younger animals), 128 zebras (horses and mules from various sources and, again, Pendraken 10 mm actual zebras for younger animals).  And a whole lot more.  Oh, wait, there are some lions from a different source that are not yet primed (from a fantasy range if I recall right, a bit large and a bit static of pose but includes both male and female and very nice sculpts).  Uh-oh, I think there are some additional rhinos, hippos, and croc-a-gators still to prime, too.  Okay, 'a lot' is primed.

As soon as I know more on the gazelle front, I will post in the newer thread - and adjust the thread title as to what is new.

As to the painted figures, I am waiting photos on getting some terrain done and for the latest to get bases textured and tufted (the elephants and giraffes).  Part of the terrain to be done is a gaming photo backdrop I've built, 8' long and double sided which I intend to paint so it can be used for many settings - but just might sneak in Mt. Kilimanjaro as a background mountain.  Don't get your hopes up too high on that front, I am an acolyte of Bob Ross Painting but a novice to be certain.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2023, 01:17:38 AM »
So, having waited a long time - and a sale on for the month - I decided to cop to acquiring faux Belgains, faux Portuguese, and faux Force Publique (earlier than WWI) from QRF.  Mostly using German Askari and colonial uniformed troops but some stuff from Spanish for Spanish American War and a minor bit from British colonials.  Once this arrives, I will call my German East Africa collection 'complete'.  Will have a brigade each of Belgians, Portuguese, and Force Publique - with a little bit of machine gun support and some gunners who will use my excess German guns (over bought).  Might not be perfect but sometimes we just have to make it work.

Alas, if they ever do release Belgians and Portuguese I won't be able to justify buying them - unless there is something truly and super special about them and even then probably not.

And once the figures arrive and are sorted into units it will just be down to painting - eventually.  :o