Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:49:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BIG Rich Brewery project challenge is done!  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
BIG Rich Brewery project challenge is done!
« on: November 03, 2019, 01:37:21 AM »
 I was inspired by the Rich’s article on his blog back in 2014 on this brewery build.  On his blog, he did a multi-part updates.  It’s a must read if you plan on building this brewery, as all the issues with the build was spot on.  The major issues were the roof and the gaps between the walls and roof pieces.  I ended up gluing in some coffee sticks to close up the gap.  The roof was re-tiled using Warbases roof tiling strips. The big positive of the models, was the nice brick detail. After I painted the buildings I did a wash…which came out a lil dark.  May have to go back do some dry brushing…nope…all done!  Following what Rich had added to the build; I bought the smoke stack and pick-up truck. The fence was from Rubicon. I also used some brick paper to brick-up the walls I made from wood and to add to the ½” elevation I added to the bottom of the buildings. For the cobbles, I used some “Champaign Bubbles” craft paper from Hobby Lobby. Finally, I customize the name of the brewery. I appreciate all the responses which seemed to me on the lines of a pub.  So, I opted for the “Hiett” brewery...A good strong German name.  Now to get this bad boy in a game.  Here are a few pics.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: BIG Rich Brewery project challenge is done!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 09:22:53 AM »
Nice work.

The cobbles are a nice idea.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 09:28:54 AM »
Nice piece of work, I've also looked at this one, as it is a cool building set. I have opted not to get one myself, as it is a huge terrain piece, and so far, most of our games have been set in rural France.

I do like what you have done with this one. Good job!
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »
Great looking build.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
Three out of five signs make my orthographic heart weep, but the rest of the build is spot-on and damn nice.  ;) Wouldn't look out of place in any self-respecting industrial town North of the Weißwurstäquator.

Is that kit available somewhere? It would be great for my docklands/industrial board.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:17:07 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
Three out of five signs make my orthographic heart weep, but the rest of the build is spot-on and damn nice.  ;) Wouldn't look out of place in any self-respecting industrial town North of the Weißwurstäquator.

Is that kit available somewhere? It would be great for my docklands/industrial board.

Unfortunately, I used the Universal Translator...Google...and that's what it spat out.  I was also briefed on a the signs signs on another forum and have made the adjustments.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 05:52:55 PM »
Unfortunately, I used the Universal Translator...Google...and that's what it spat out.  I was also briefed on a the signs signs on another forum and have made the adjustments.

It's minor things, but instantly obvious to any German native speaker in a potentially embarassing way. It might be worth changing the labels slightly to make an already excellent piece perfect.

"Brauhauf" should actually be "Brauhaus" (i.e. "brewing house" - "Brauhauf" isn't a proper word, but could be translated as "brewing heap"). The original sign was probably in German blackbletter (Schwabacher or Fraktur), where the "long s" looks confusingly similar to the lower-case "f". Note that the "long s" shouldn't be used at the end of the last syllable, but for "s" found within the word (i.e. syllables preceded or followed by other syllables) or for an initial "s" for any word not capitalized (basically anything not a proper noun or proper name).

"Alfgang" isn't a proper word, either. It might have been "Ausgang", i.e. "exit", in blackletter, again with the interior "long s" at the end of the first syllable.

Basically, if you use an Antiqua, the "f"-looking "long s" is totally out of place. In blackletter signage, it should be done correctly. Note that blackletter was actually abolished by the Nazis in 1941, but primarily for official usage and documents, so company signs wouldn't have been changed, especially in wartime (other priorities). Still, Antiqua types were already in wide usage since the early 20th century, but breweries in particular kept it going longer to convey a feel of "traditional values".

"Seh 1718" should probably read "Seit 1718" (i.e. "since 1718", or idiomatically "Est. 1718"). Possibly a typo or a poor image as the source.

"Hiett-brauerei" is basically ok, but the "b" in "brauerei" should be upper-case since it is a proper noun (always upper case in German, so correctly it should be "Hiett-Brauerei" or "Brauerei Hiett", both perfectly fine).

If you like, I'd be happy to help you out by doing some new signage in proper blackletter or in the DIN standard Antiqua sans-serif type used from the early 1930s. I'd just need to know the measurements for the signs.

EDIT: Modified for clarity.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:40:13 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »
Chris: that is very useful to know.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 06:28:17 PM »
To illustrate:

I've done a quick sheet of five German blackletter types I had lying around, using the various words found above.

Top to bottom, in each case: Plakat (poster) Fraktur, Plakat Fraktur (condensed), Schwabacher, Klaber, Kleist.

The "long s" is traditionally used at the end of a syllable, if the syllable isn't the word's last syllable. The "round s" can be used in its place within the word, but shouldn't for signage from the 19th century or earlier. For the word ending, the "round s" should be used.

So the "Brauhauf" looking ones are actually not correct, thus marked red.

Note the two variations for "Seit/seit 1718". From personal experience, the lower-case "long s" should probably be used.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:42:13 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
Duly copied for possible future use :) Thanks Chris.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »
@ Westfalia Chris,

Greatly appreciate the insights of the German language.  Yes, a disadvantage on my end.  Just downloaded the jpg, and will use to make corrections.  These are easy to do, as I have them on MS PowerPoint.  Thanks again, and hope to not offend any German folks.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 11:50:16 PM »
@ Westfalia Chris,

Greatly appreciate the insights of the German language.  Yes, a disadvantage on my end.  Just downloaded the jpg, and will use to make corrections.  These are easy to do, as I have them on MS PowerPoint.  Thanks again, and hope to not offend any German folks.

Certainly not offensive, mind, but I'd hate to see a great build like that being let down by imperfect signage when it can be easily fixed.

You can download the fonts used above as freeware or donateware on www.dafont.com, by the way. Just search for "Fraktur" which is the German term for blackletter.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 01:02:23 AM »
Will do...and thanks again.

Offline canonuk

• Student
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »
That's a great looking model.

Can I ask where it's from?

Thanks

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
Lovely project Greg - thanks for posting. No idea if you play Chain of Command but it would be perfect for the Road to Bremen mini campaign,
EC