Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689840
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ZULUS! (Perry plastic)  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
ZULUS! (Perry plastic)
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »
Well, I did have an earlier Zulu thread, long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, but it was so long ago, I can't find it now  ::)

So here goes with another thread - the Zulus I painted for the last round of the Lead Painters league.
(Also a few comparison pics with Foundry Zulus and Copplestone Ngoni, which may be useful for some).

I bought a box of the Perry plastic Zulus as soon as they came out, and then they sat on my shelf for a year or two.
The LPL gave me the stimulus to assemble and paint a few :)

I think they're magnificent. Michael Perry has perfectly captured the skinny but muscular look of the Zulu warrior, and there's a cornucopia of different head and weapon options. The detailing of the weapons is of course, as you'd expect, completely accurate, with a great selection of spear types (rather than just the archetypal squat assegai). You could make up 1,000 brilliant Zulus from this box, and each one would be a character, and no two would be the same.

I did see some criticism of the ball-and-socket shoulder joint when this set first came out, but I didn't find it a problem in the least. If you look at the ones I've done here, with a bit of care in the positioning of the arms so that they sit right, and then a good slathering with liquid poly cement (with its inherent miracle quality of disappearing joins in plastic), the shoulders look absolutely fine.

For those who asked about the paint recipe for the skin, it's actually unbelievably simple - just two colours. The base is Citadel 'Rhinox Hide'. This is then mixed with gradually increasing amounts of Vallejo 'Dark Flesh' to build up the highlights, until the tips of fingers, toes, noses, ears etc, are almost pure 'Dark Flesh'. That's it!

(The thing to remember about black skin, is that it's not literally brown or black in tone - it's essentially pink, just the same as white skin. It's just a very much darker shade of pink. But the underlying pinkness of basic human skin tone is still there, and shows up as such on the extremities).

Now a couple of comparison pics with other Zulus in my collection...

Interestingly you'll notice that the skin tone is slightly different on these - I painted them years ago. Same two-colour technique, but two slightly different colours:

The old Citadel 'Scorched Brown' was replaced by 'Rhinox Hide' - I actually preferred the original - a slightly warmer shade of dark brown.

And I used VMC 'Sunny Flesh' at the time, a slightly yellower hue of caucasian skin tone than VMC 'Dark Flesh' which I shifted to a couple of years ago...

These are the 2nd generation Foundry Zulus, which were based on Copplestone dollies. I think they may now be available through Casting Room Miniatures, Foundry's budget brand... ;)
L-R: Perry, Foundry, Perry, Foundry, Foundry, Perry.

And these are Copplestone Ngoni (provided to me by the estimable Plynkes, as I recall :))
L-R: Copplestone, Perry, Copplestone, Copplestone, Perry, Copplestone, Perry, Copplestone.

Hope useful :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: ZULUS! (Perry plastic)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »
Superb!
Loving the paintjobs on these, those skintones are excellent (I shall have to remember your recipe!).
 :-* :-*

I can see many Zulus in your future, sir.
Thousands of 'em!
 ;)

As for mixing them in with the metals: I think that helps the cohesive of them, giving a little more variety in bodyshape etc.
A much more natural look once the paintwork is applied, helping blend them all together.
People are many shapes and sizes and I, personally, prefer that effect.
 8) 8)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
I do believe that those are the most wonderfully painted figures I have ever seen. Breathtakingly good.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
They're jolly nice, makes me want to rescue the Prince Imperial all over again!
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
Just a few hundred more and then you are ready to play

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
Wonderful!  :-*
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:16:27 PM »
Lovely  :-* :-* :-*

Great skin tones- they seem just right.

Not to mention very crisp brush work  8)

Do you use a light box for taking the snaps Richard?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
Thanks fellows :)

Darrell. No, just a daylight lamp and a sheet of white paper. I do have a fold-out light box, but it's a right faff to set up and use, and it doesn't really yield any better results.

Just a few hundred more and then you are ready to play

Now you know we have a different approach to these things, Giles  lol

We should do it. I've got the terrain boards. You've got all the figures. It's always a good game :)

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »
Skin tones are superb. Most enlightening too the paint method and colours used. Thank you very useful indeed
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 04:07:52 PM »
Thanks fellows :)

Darrell. No, just a daylight lamp and a sheet of white paper. I do have a fold-out light box, but it's a right faff to set up and use, and it doesn't really yield any better results.

Thanks Richard. Me too but I don't seem to yield such good results. Possibly out of practice :)

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 04:36:11 PM »
Wow these really are superb 👏👏. I’ve been waiting for you to paint up these models. I love the Perry Zulus and I’m in the process of painting up a second regiment of these.
Your Perry Zulus are the stand out figures alongside the other manufacturers which are equally painted to a very high standard!!
Well done Richard, wonderful figures for my favourite period 👍

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
Great paintin'
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »

Has it really been ten years...  :o

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »
How time flies! Nice work Richard on the Zulu skin tones.

Best regards,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »
Those are very nice!

Steve