Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hitting a bit of a wall, painting wise  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Tadgie

• Bookworm
  • Too many projects. Too little time.
Re: Hitting a bit of a wall, painting wise
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
I am in the same boat. I am dabbling at best and getting nowhere fast. Too much time on my hands and lacking motivation.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:43:08 PM by Tadgie »

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:29 PM »
I figured I wasn't alone.  :)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 08:02:31 PM »
Had a couple of barren months myself, up until this weekend  .... ease yourself back in gently, have a bit of hobby time even if you aren’t painting...tidy your hobby space, base/prime something, even try a bit of putty work if you don’t normally.

Just do something and finish it...doesn’t have to be painting.

Next time, just focus on painting ONE figure, no distractions, if you are used to having a TV on...leave it off....just focus on that one figure and get it done.

Next time work on 2 or 3 figures ...and repeat....

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
Thanks for that Akula. Some good ideas there.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 08:15:07 PM »
My best painting month in quite awhile was February.  Therapy was correcting my back/neck/arm pain and I was able to sit and paint again.  Then came the virus lock down, complete isolation on my part and a return of my issues.  I paint as much as I can, read or use the computer for as long as I can, then watch movies or listen to podcasts.  I still have most of the typical household work so that fills the day.

I find my motivation in painting at the completion of the current group.  I used to paint large units for a specific projects but not now. I can't paint long enough at a single sitting to finish anything anyway so I don't try to.  I jump between genres and paint only a few figures at at time to keep it fresh. 

Reorganizing your hoard as Akula suggested can help.  Gets you motivated to paint, straightens out your space and may help you identify some figures to sell.  I did just that last week and sold some figures to a gaming friend as he wanted something new to paint.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »
Thanks syrinx. Sorry to hear about your painful back/neck/arm pain. That can't be easy to live with, let alone do much hobby wise.

I jump between genres and paint only a few figures at at time to keep it fresh. 

That's usually where I am. I've been staring at the same Darkest Africa figures on my hobby desk for weeks now. Maybe putting them away for a bit and bringing out something new, may help to motivate.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »
Thanks syrinx. Sorry to hear about your painful back/neck/arm pain. That can't be easy to live with, let alone do much hobby wise.
Thanks.  Its tolerable when I am good but ...    ::)

Paint something silly, build some terrain or paint a background for pictures.  Try switching it up and see how that goes.
Good luck.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 08:57:04 PM »
Thanks.  Its tolerable when I am good but ... 

Well then...... try being good.  ;D

Paint something silly, build some terrain or paint a background for pictures.  Try switching it up and see how that goes.
Good luck.

Thanks buddy. I appreciate that. And everyone else's feedback. This place is always inspiring.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:16:07 AM by Bravo Six »

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 07:04:56 AM »
Interesting thread!

I’ve been jumping around eras and not finishing anything. I made a concerted decision to focus on EIR and Celts in 28mm.

What’s really helped motivate me is the ease of use of GW’s new Contrast Paints.

What used to be several steps is now one.  I’ve been experimenting in making my own colours for more historical shades too.

I moved to the dining room table, as well (little basement corner as the kids are taking more room as they grow).

Perhaps it’s a combination of things but I really look forward to painting now.  I find myself using effort to do other things to keep away from painting and getting other chores done.

A good audiobook helps too. 

Maybe try a new painting routine/technique and see if that helps.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:22 PM »
I find that if I paint a piece of terrain that I can get back into painting. It's simple but requires some artistry.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 11:17:37 PM »
I've been procrastinating, and combined with a ton of home improvement stuff that my partner has decided has to be done now...  much less productive than I hoped. I'm more tired from a day of sanding, gardening or scrubbing, and I have less energy at night to focus.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 05:04:04 AM »
Oh!  Maybe time of day will help!

I'm liking painting in the morning with natural sunlight.

Come evening it getting late, I'm getting tired, etc.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »
Shahbahraz.
Good God Man Do Not Waste Brownie Point's!
DIY on Demand = good book's.(everyone who's married to a Yorkshire lass knows good books are small and exclusive by appointment only and only then  with an entrance exam pass rate of 99%  ;))
The knack of painting after graft is not to get bathed and changed straight away(unless your absolutely grafted.) Just a a quick hands and face wash. Put an hour in before you finish for the day . You've got to treat it as the last chore before you finish for the day. Because once your showered , fed and sat down. Your painting table is going to seem half a world away and your paintbrushes as heavy as lump hammers.
I never had a office job or come to think of it one that was completely indoors . lol So I can totally get the difficulty in motivating once the heavy lifting is done and your fed and clean and sat aching from the day.

There's a couple of simple motivational tricks for painting when your over faced by the enormity of the task ahead.
The first is to totally clear your painting area.No half finished projects . Nothing but your equipment(paints brushes etc.)
The stuff you've undercoat for a project gets divied into elements/ unit's and everything is put in a box.
You never spend time looking through that full box . You simply open take out the top/first unit your touch .and close the box quickly.(the quicker the better)
Then as mentioned by others break the unit down to groups of around five figures. Only one group on the painting table at a time.put the rest out of sight.( your chore doesn't look so big if there's only five tiny figures on the whole painting table.)
 Now theres normally an element of a unit your quite like painting (mg group,command group, hero,etc) this is the last section/ group of figures of a unit you paint. It acts as a goal/ reward for painting the unit.( if you do the bit enjoy first the rest becomes a grind.)

If your stumbling block is skin and hair then don't paint them first.
As quickly as you can paint on the base colours for clothing.(it doesn't matter if you normally paint faces first or get flesh colour on the clothing as you go .you can always touch up tge clothing base colours as you get to them properly.)
Then a base colour for shoes and boots. Do these as quickly as you can.
Once these are done tackle the 'brick wall' of painting.( in this case flesh and hair painting)
As you hit you'll suddenly have a different visual cue as it won't just be a vast area of primed figure with just it's head painted . It'll be a figure of coloured areas that just need a quick touch here and touch there.

Once You've battled through 'five' put them to aside .But somewhere you can see them.And battle the next 'five'  an so on finishing with the figures you were looking forward to.
Before you know it you'll have a finished group/ unit off to the side of your painting area. Then you do another speed grab from the project box for the next unit.
Then carry on painting and placing the painted figures together where you can see them and keep the unpainted out of sight. Sooner or later that project box will be empty when you go back to get another unit.
This method distances you from the visual enormity of the task.( which is a mental stumbling block in it's self.) And rewards you with the fruits of your labour as a visual motivation.
The task never looks daunting because theres only ever five figure visually in play on your painting table.
Once You've battled through that first five and they're sat there the next five are a little easier. The more you have finished the more you can see are finished. The less of a chore the five on your painting table seem and infact become.
It works well when I've a commercial projects. The key is NOT to dwell on or in the project box.(Straight in - Straight out- lid on- next.) It's simply only ever five figure reguardless of how many you get through in a day/session Or even How many are in the project box.
That box will be empty sooner than you think and a lot easier than you thought if you dwell on its contents.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 08:52:43 AM »
I've been procrastinating,

I must get round to that ...

and combined with a ton of home improvement stuff that my partner has decided has to be done now...  much less productive than I hoped. I'm more tired from a day of sanding, gardening or scrubbing, and I have less energy at night to focus.

That's cool, it's all something you've done. Don't matter if it's cooking a meal, running the Hoover round, doing some DIY, painting a model … or even being honest and deciding you just need a rest day. It's in the bank and you can feel good. It's a long old race and you don't need to sprint forward miles every day, just allow yourself whatever you need to keep ticking over.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks lads. Brilliant input. I appreciate it immensely.

Tin Shed Gamer, I really like those ideas! I'm open to try anything these days and it's only through trial and error I'll find my mojo I suppose.