Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adapting Ronin lists for En Garde – Ignoring Shoot cost for melee figures?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline EnclavedMicrostate

• Librarian
Hello all,

Seems like I will be the latest person to redo the Ronin lists for En Garde, which led me to a particularly interesting point that the author makes on page 28:

The profiles below can be used as the basis for your own custom models. The characteristics are the maximum that should be used for each different Rank – by all means some of these can be reduced, also lowering the points cost of the model. If a model is not armed with a missile weapon, for example, then it is entirely reasonable for it to have a Shoot of 0.

Now, the direct implication here is that if you create a stat block for a figure that cannot be given a missile weapon, then you may as well give it Shoot 0, but that raises some questions for me. When I was porting the Koryū over, I realised that because they indeed cannot be given a missile weapon, then they should all be Shoot 0. But that means that their models are all between 2 and 6 points cheaper than they would be otherwise. Meanwhile, a Hatamoto without a missile weapon would still be paying 4 points for his 2 Shoot value.

As I see it, then, it seems like there are two approaches: The obvious and simple one is to give Koryū figures a Shoot value anyway and raise their costs accordingly. The alternative, which is more complicated but potentially 'fairer' points-wise across the board, would be to ignore Shoot for figures' base cost, and instead add the Shoot cost to the cost of a missile weapon if it is being selected. This does make me curious, however, as to whether the rather substantial nerfing of ranged weapons between Ronin and En Garde may be compounded by docking the Shoot cost off melee-only figures, or if the points saved really don't add up to much.

Anyway, how have people here approached this?