Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:04:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) 28mm Alpine Gnomes.... tiny but cute!  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
(Kickstarter) 28mm Alpine Gnomes.... tiny but cute!
« on: November 08, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »
A friend brought these to my attention last night. Since I did not see a post on here about them I thought I would mention it because it seems a worthy project. I see they had a previous successful kickstarter with similar subject material... even if they are shorter than some expect.

I think the sculpts are great but I have so many projects on backlog already...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882426675/osm-goes-back-gnome/description
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: (Kickstarter) 28mm Alpine Gnomes.... tiny but cute!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:10 AM »
I backed the first gnome Kickstarter from these guys. Fulfillment was on time and I was very happy with the quality (bags of character packed into some small sculpts). I have backed this new Kickstarter for some pike gnomes to bolster my forces, although I do not currently have any specific wargaming use for these tiny people, other than possibly as members of a Frostgrave warband. 

Does anyone have any ideas what these gnomes could proxy for in Age of Sigmar (the closest thing to a fantasy mass battle game played by my friends)?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:45 PM »
I've backed this Kickstarter as I love gnomes and especially these miniatures. Super cute and adorable.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
I backed the first gnome Kickstarter from these guys. Fulfillment was on time and I was very happy with the quality (bags of character packed into some small sculpts). I have backed this new Kickstarter for some pike gnomes to bolster my forces, although I do not currently have any specific wargaming use for these tiny people, other than possibly as members of a Frostgrave warband. 

Maybe Relicblade?  There's a new updated rulebook coming soon, and while their own gnomes look a little bigger they do have ibex and IIRC fox riders already,  The community and designer are both pretty helpful about DIY minis stats so you can use what you like.  The various Song of XXXX rules from Ganesha would also work.

And of course they'd work fine in Dragon Rampant, which can support just about any army concept you can imagine without batting an eye.

Does anyone have any ideas what these gnomes could proxy for in Age of Sigmar (the closest thing to a fantasy mass battle game played by my friends)?

That's kind of tough, the game is rather unfriendly about outside figures and they aren't a super close match to anything.  Still, base size is really all that matters mechanically, so maybe use them as proxies for the various "mixed good(ish) guy" forces in the recent Cities of Sigmar book?  The pikes could be Free People/Empire spearmen, for ex.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:28:16 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:24:46 PM »
Now, if I was into fantasy, I would definitely get these. They are cool.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
Maybe Relicblade?  There's a new updated rulebook coming soon...

Thanks Hobby Services, that is helpful. I have started looking into the rules you mention. Dragon Rampart sounds interesting, as I am more likely to get my friends (and children!) to play if the rules are fairly straightforward (as DR appears to be) and they can use their existing miniatures.

At a push I will look at using them as short humans in AOS as you suggest!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
Thanks Hobby Services, that is helpful. Dragon Rampart sounds interesting, as I am more likely to get my friends (and children!) to play if the rules are fairly straightforward (as DR appears to be) and they can use their existing miniatures.

DR is very definitely child/newbie-friendly in terms of complexity.  It does use an activation mechanic similar to GW's Warmaster where bad die rolls can sometimes stall your army, which can be frustrating for some folks if it happens too often.  If that turns out to be an issue, a common fix is to either allow one reroll to activate or automatic pass every turn, or a pool of 3 or so reroll/autopass tokens you can use during the game.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 11:43:25 PM »
Thanks Hobby Services, that sounds ideal, I think Dragon Rampant will be going on my Christmas list!

The Kickstarter ends tomorrow, if anyone is interested but not pledged. Note that OSM are offering 20% off the usual price on the existing range via the Kickstarter, so if you want any of the figures from the previous Kickstarter (and can wait until March next year) you can pledge for them. The existing range includes this little fella, Enoki the Discerning, my Frostgrave Witch apprentice (on a 20mm round base):

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 07:00:38 AM »
The Kickstarter ends tomorrow...

I have woken up and noticed the time stamp on my post - the Kickstarter actually ends today. Sorry for any confusion.