Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689482
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pirates of the not so living kind  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Harrymason

• Bookworm
  • keeping my brain
Pirates of the not so living kind
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:52:00 AM »
I recently started building an army of zombie pirates for a friend's Lustria campaign. As far as my research goes, the only two options for models are Black Scorpion and Old Glory. Unfortunately, there are no good pictures of the Old Glory pirate zombies, so I'm going all-in for Black Scorpion. So far I have got 20 undead pirates plus a captain. More have been ordered, including cannons and a unit of still living pirates. I figured that pirates don't really care who they serve as long as the loot is good, and the vampire captain appreciates minions who are able to act independently. As for the cannons, there are no undead crew available, but a simple head swap for a skull should do the trick of undeadifying them sufficiently.

If anyone knows of any other manufacturer making undead pirate models, feel free to let me know.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Pirates of the not so living kind
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 04:21:54 AM »
If I am not mistaken I believe that Reaper makes undead pirates.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
These guys do pirate undead and they are lovely figures.

http://moonlightmini.com/Moonlight28s.htm
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
I'd also be tempted to convert some using a mixture of the Frostgrave plastics. Crewmen and Cultist sprues, and also perhaps get some of the older GW undead sprues with lots of skeleton bits? (Or of course Wargames Atlantic and Warlord)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
It is a real shame you can't get the GW Empire Militia sprue any more, as combined with the GW zombies (which are still available, with new round bases!) they used to make for 'fun' zombie pirates ...

Of course, other people would probably not paint them in a cartoon style!

When White Dwarf had the Luthor Harkonnen (?) list of undead pirates GW put out mixed sets of zombie and militia to encourage this sort of thing!
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »
Oh, and there used to be some other undead pirate manufacturers, although I cannot for the life of me remember the make ...

The guy on the viewer's right:

And most of these:

I'll do some searches to see if I can find them.

[Edit:] Some at least appear to be Reaper Razig characters. Their Blackknife Razig Sergeant is a lovely one. He is the guy with the yellow headscarf in the middle here ...

[Edit 2] Oops, Inkpaduta already mentioned Reaper. Sorry!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:05:18 AM by Padrissimus »

Offline Harrymason

• Bookworm
  • keeping my brain
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »
Thanks! Of course reaper has some, why didn't I think of them? I may have to get some of those frostgrave crewmen, had no idea they existed. Maybe combined with the new fireforge zombies.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 08:47:47 PM »
I'd also be tempted to convert some using a mixture of the Frostgrave plastics. Crewmen and Cultist sprues, and also perhaps get some of the older GW undead sprues with lots of skeleton bits? (Or of course Wargames Atlantic and Warlord)

I forgot to post these here. The Frostgrave Ghost Archipeligo Crewmen combined really well with old GW Free Company. Now I know the Free Company aren't available anymore, but they would be no good for undead pirates anyway. However, the GW Zombie box is still available, and those bits might combine with the Crewmen just as well as the Free Company.

The downside - no pistols in either the Crewmen or the Zombie set!

Here are some WIP pics of Frostgrave bits mixed with GW bits ...

Offline Harrymason

• Bookworm
  • keeping my brain
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
Reinforcements have arrived. The crew of the cannons will be undeadyfied, but the regular pirates will stay alive. The bearded pirate captain will eventually be used as Luthor Harkon, the original vampire of the Vampire Coast.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »
It is a real shame you can't get the GW Empire Militia sprue any more, as combined with the GW zombies (which are still available, with new round bases!) they used to make for 'fun' zombie pirates ...

Of course, other people would probably not paint them in a cartoon style!

When White Dwarf had the Luthor Harkonnen (?) list of undead pirates GW put out mixed sets of zombie and militia to encourage this sort of thing!

I remember that issue of White Dwarf that featured the Vampire Coast list fondly. Alas that was back when G.W were a hobby company run by hobbyists.

Offline Old-N-Busted

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 07:33:29 AM »
privateer press, Warmachine, cryx faction has revenent pirates may be worth a look.

https://store.privateerpress.com/games/warmachine/models/revenant-crew-of-the-atramentous-w-3-riflemen

there are also some female pirates in the same faction BUSTED.
Well said Agshard we"ve never really liked the Yull have we? vicious buggers-fluffy too. Space Captain Smith Vol 2

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
Most of all my pirate figs are OG25's...I do own the un dead pirates and have to say they're petty nice looking.  No two poses are the same...there's even a few captain poses with an un dead parrot and monkey.  Worth looking into the set along with the ship, the "Black Cutlass".
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
That's the thing about OG 28/25mm minis - they come in huge packs, but they do have cool variety of poses. And generally are of fine quality.

Dead Earth Games have been working on a pirate skirmish game for the past 18 months or so, and so far released a Dwarven crew, some odds and ends such as mermaids, an Orc and an Elf, a human crew and some really nice looking skeleton pirates, led by a Voodoo lady. I had the honour to paint the promo figures for them, and the minis are excellent. Only problem is that they're pretty huge (probably around the abdicable 32mm size), so they might not fit with others. But maybe they could do for single larger-sized individuals (pirates are a colourful bunch after all)?

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2019_06/background2.jpg.e05124253ba58d94b9ed750f59f0be26.jpg

They aren't available on their online store yet as the Kickstarter just ran in November, but should be up soon.