Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.3.20 Mablung's Bodyguard (Page 8)  (Read 20581 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 22.11.19
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 08:15:46 AM »
Lovely paint jobs, great choice of palette

:)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 22.11.19
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
Great job... your freehand is really good... also like the jewel tone on the shields.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 28.11.19 Elf Spearmen
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 10:22:08 PM »
So I finished my first unit of Elf spearmen. They weren’t easy to work with. As per my recently finished swordsmen, I wanted to convert the original models. There were two reasons for this; the first one is that the GW/movie Elf spearmen carry a weapon more akin to a Japanese naginata than a typical spear. These look more like a ‘cut and thrust’ weapon that would be used two-handed rather than used with the shield that these Elves carry. Also, as I’d replaced the glaives with broadswords on my swordsmen, I wanted a look that tied in with them.
The second reason is that these models are Finecast – a more badly named material I can’t possibly imagine! The spears that came with the set (I got them from EBAY) were all either bent or broken and it certainly wasn’t due to the seller packing them poorly. Apparently if they are bent, one can straighten them under hot water! Now given that these models cost £4 each if bought new, that’s a bit crap! Pay £4 for a model - oh and by the way you have to straighten its spear! Also, they are prone to miscast. One of mine has a miscast helmet. Not acceptable really… Maybe these were early ones, as when GW first produced Finecast, there were numerous issues with it. Anyway, luckily, the material is easy to cut so replacing the spears was relatively easy. There were also numerous bits of flash everywhere. I did manage to clean them up pretty well, but not perfectly.

Anyway, despite the issues with the material, they painted up well in the end. I’m really pleased with the way the colour scheme works on these. I like the Foundry Union Blue Light which I used for the background to the shield. It goes well with the overall scheme but being darker than the other blues just provides a nice contrast. I have one more unit of these to paint, half of which are the old metal ones which, while having fewer casting issues, were a lot harder to convert. However, next up will be the first of three units of archers.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 11:10:10 PM »
They look terrific!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 11:14:32 PM »
Another beautiful paint job!

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
Fantastic :o
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 08:32:30 AM »
Excellent work.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »
Very well done and I like this color palette!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »
Also, they are prone to miscast. One of mine has a miscast helmet. Not acceptable really… Maybe these were early ones, as when GW first produced Finecast, there were numerous issues with it.
Yeah, I've seen that claim thrown around (that only the early sculpts had this many issues), but I can't say I have seen any proof of it thus far. Earlier this year I got a made-to-order "fine"cast figure that presumably was cast freshly for that purpose (as is the idea behind the sort of print-on-demand nature of those temporary releases), and it was as poor as any I've seen from years back. As were the various kits I got in-between those. Although I love the range and there exist a fair few figures I'd like to add and new factions I'd start collecting in a heartbeat, I've had it with that rubbish resin. The vents and other support structures make them an absolute pain to clean up, and even with those they somehow manage to have bubbles in the worst possible places!

But that's enough of a rant for now.  >:( :D

Great work on these, the spears work very well (tempted to do the same, although I'd feel bad about drilling the metals in my collection, and am unsurprisingly reluctant to get more of these "fine"cast versions!). The colour scheme perfectly encapsulates the elegant, vibrant yet restrained Elves I feel. The simple white, neutral cold blue with the rich purple.

Certainly looking forward to seeing the next batch, and what you will do with the heroes.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 06.12.19 Elf Command Base
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
...And we return to Beleriand, where recruitment continues...

May I present to you the Elf commander with his banner bearer? I realise that elements of this banner may point to Gil Galad (the stars) but this chap is intended to be an unnamed Elven lord who can see service in any of the wars of Beleriand or even the War of Sauron & The Elves or the Last Alliance (as I see fit.)

Before anyone says anything, I am very aware that the sword and sword-hand are too big. I chopped off the ridiculous glaive and then went hunting for a plastic replacement as per my Elf swordsmen. However, none of my Numenorian or Gondor swords fit the bill so it had to be an Oathmark one and this one had the best angle for the arm position. It's less of an issue when viewed from a gaming angle at table-top distance than it is in the close-up photos.
I'm pleased with the freehand on the Lord's shoulder-piece and the banner benefited from the extra yellow tails I added this week.

Archers are on the table as we speak...

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »
 :-*

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 10:55:39 PM »
Liking all of these conversions and paint jobs a lot but the command and banner are superb. What material did you use for the banner if I may ask?

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
Fantastic piece! Your project is just awesome!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 11:16:55 PM »
Liking all of these conversions and paint jobs a lot but the command and banner are superb. What material did you use for the banner if I may ask?

Thank you. The banner is bog standard computer printing paper. I always use it as I always have loads in the house... It's obviously easy to lightly draw designs on, takes acrylic paint well and folds relatively easily.

Offline peleset

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2019, 04:31:47 AM »
A big right hand never hurt anyone.

Lovely work!
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.