Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:36:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690595
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.3.20 Mablung's Bodyguard (Page 8)  (Read 20637 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 22.12.19 Lieutenant of Angband
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
I managed to complete my Angband Command Base ahead of my planned schedule. The Lieutenant of Angband is a metal GW LoTR Morannon Orc commander with a shield from War-games Illustrated's free sprue of Warlord Roman Veteran Legionaries from a few months back and with a wire spear. I painted him from scratch. The GW Uruk-hai banner bearer came from EBAY part-painted. He'd been base-coated, ink-washed and the armour had been dry brushed. I just added some extra highlights and repainted the loin cloth.

The top of the banner pole is, I think, from an old Gripping Beast Hun standard or maybe a Standard from their Saxon range... I've had it in the bits box for over a decade.

The GW Uruk Hai and Morannon Orcs largely fit the description of Orcs from the Silmarillion - 'shod with iron, shielded with iron'. Also, we know from the Silmarillion that the Orcs were heavily armoured - I think it's Beleg who pleads with an Elf king (Thingol? Can't remember...) for a new sword because his can't get through Orc armour. To me that suggests armour heavier than simply mail, hence me being happy to use these GW figures.

Anyway, here is the vignette...

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2019, 08:25:52 PM »
Epic job!!! Congrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
Stunning  :-*

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 25.12.19 Orcs of Angband (Page 4)
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »
I've been painting Orcs the past couple of weeks. Like most of the army of Morgoth figures in my collection, these were all purchased part-painted from EBAY and I've tidied them up.

The unit of Morannon Orcs and Uruk Hai swordsmen were a mixed bag. The Morannon Orcs were reasonably neatly basecoated, had been ink washed and highlighted, again quite neatly. I just had to sharpen up the highlights and neaten things up a bit, plus repainting all the tunics which were bright red when they came to me - way too bright for bog standard Orcs so I repainted them in a variety of colours. The Uruk Hai models were a bit of a mess - mostly just badly dry brushed in metallics and some skin tones. To be honest I probably should have started again with them, but figured I could 'lose' them in amongst the rank and file so just fixed them as best I could. They look ok in amongst all the others.

The unit made up from Uruk Hai Scouts were nicely base coated with some decent single highlights. It was an easy job to sharpen the highlights up neatly. However, all the clothing had been painted black and  it was just too much, so I repainted bits of clothing in either Foundry Rawhide or Deep Leather Brown triad to break up the black. Those without shields were given the freebies I received in War-games Illustrated a few months back - a sprue of Warlord Games Veteran Roman Legionaries. I think these look good on these models. I also added a standard (I'm basically doing one standard for every two units) which ended up looking pretty cool, I think.

I now have 6 such units fully painted with two units of Uruk Hai pikemen awaiting my attention. I also have a unit of 4 archers finished and two more units to paint, plus a unit of trolls to finish. I also have enough models for two units of 4 warg riders in my bits box, plus a couple of Orc heroes. A tidy little force for playing James Morris' homespun rules or Dragon Rampant.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2019, 09:50:08 PM »
Great work :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2019, 08:33:49 PM »
Amazing stuff, simply amazing.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2019, 09:11:14 AM »
More lovely work.  I bought a few off eBay but ended up with a near total repaint - you must have had the good ones! Absolutely top job anyway and the banner is just perfect.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
More lovely work.  I bought a few off eBay but ended up with a near total repaint - you must have had the good ones! Absolutely top job anyway and the banner is just perfect.

The trick is buying ones that have been neatly basecoated - they are not very common (the phrase 'well painted' is usually a total lie on EBAY) and the cost is going up at the moment! Typically they are now about £40 for 12!! When I started buying these I was paying about £25 for 12. It may be because of the relaunch of MESBG by GW, whereas when I bought most of mine it was a comparatively 'dead' game.
Even when I do quite substantial highlighting, I'm still saving quite a lot of time because I find base coating a lengthy and dull process. Also, it means I don't have to do the 'dip' stage, which saves time (no need for a 24-36 hours drying period.)
The Uruk Hai pikemen I recently bought were £40 for 25 models (a rare good deal!) and they need full highlighting and some base coating. The flesh and armour was basecoated and they have been based (although that's terrible and may need redoing). Still a decent deal though as I reckon it's only 2 or 3 evenings' work max to complete a unit of 12, which is super quick for me. So it's a bit of a lottery really...

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 29.12.19 Trolls!!! (Page 4)
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2019, 11:21:15 PM »
The forges of Angband are working overtime over the holiday period! I finished a unit of trolls... The GW hill troll was painted 6 or 7 years ago and I needed 3 more for a unit so decided to buy a pack of Last Alliance plastics - £10 for 4 soft plastic trolls.
To be fair, the plastic is kinda 'medium' plastic. It took a bit of work to clean up the flash, etc (possibly because my knife blade needs replacing, possibly because the plastic is a weird consistency - probably a bit of both) but they painted up really well! And I still have one left over if I want a unit of 4 with a Troll leader...
PS these trolls are from 'War Trolls set 3' - Last Alliance do several troll sets...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
Wow! You did a great job with those. Especially the Dark Alliance ones. I have some on my to do list and you have set a high standard for me to aspire to!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
Wow! You did a great job with those. Especially the Dark Alliance ones. I have some on my to do list and you have set a high standard for me to aspire to!

Thanks Rick - they were painted in a very simple style; my usual style: neat base coat on white undercoat, Army Painter Strong Tone dip brushed on, Testers Dullcote (again, brushed on) finally some highlighting, usually with original base coat colours.
Colours used: Grey hide Foundry Granite Light, Fleshy hide: Foundry Flesh Light, Iron: GW Bolton Metal (or whatever it's called now) which was highlighted with GW Ironbreaker). Loin cloths etc either Foundry Deep Brown leather triad or Rawhide triad. The claws were Foundry Drab Light. Teeth: GW Screaming Skull. Tongues: Foundry Terracotta (mid shade).
Obviously the GW troll had a few more browns, etc, added.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 30.12.19 Pike-armed Orcs (Page 4)
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2019, 11:45:12 PM »
More progress on the army of Angband. Some Pike-armed Orcs today. Bought from EBAY with armour neatly drybrushed and flesh base coated. I tidied up the armour, highlighted the flesh and painted all the other bits. It's amazing what you get done with a couple of child-free days!
I have one more unit of these on the painting table, plus 2 units of 4 archers that I want to get done by 11th January... Hope I can make it. I have my lad with me for the next 6 days so will not get so much painting time...

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
The Orcs very nicely done, but the Trolls are all the money  :-*
All very well done! Cheers!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
By the spirit of JRRT, you are unstoppable at the moment! These are fabulous.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »
Lovely pikemen
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264