Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.3.20 Mablung's Bodyguard (Page 8)  (Read 20338 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 24.1.20 More Sindar Kitbashing (Page 5)
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
I've done some more kit bashing. I now have enough Sindar axemen to do a unit of Elite Foot for Dragon Rampant which is probably what I'll do with these kitbash models, as I won't need to do too many. As with the other ones, the bodies and helmet tops are Victrix Anglo-Dane Huscarls, the heads are Victrix Republican Romans (good job I bought too many for my Clash of Spears Samnite Wars project, eh?) and the helmet feathers are from the Oathmark Elf set. I've ordered a box of the Anglo-Dane warriors from Victrix so I can do some sword and spear-armed Elves too...

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 24.1.20 More Sindar Kitbashing (Page 6)
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2020, 12:31:16 AM »
Saw these on Facebook, they’re terrific!

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 24.1.20 More Sindar Kitbashing (Page 6)
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2020, 08:47:41 AM »
Really cool view in Sindar elves!
Keep on!
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 26.1.20 Small Sindar Update (Page 6)
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2020, 12:53:21 AM »
Thank you for the kind words on these thus far...
Anyway, I did a bit more work on the Sindar and their captain. Added some long hair on both and smoothed out the bases on the axemen.
I know it's a kinda 'Warhammer' or 'Movie' thing, but I do think long hair adds a more 'Elven' feel to these chaps... It also disguises the neck joins on some of them, which were a little clumsy looking. Gonna undercoat them tomorrow and start getting some paint on them. Still not sure on the colour scheme. I don't particularly want a typical Wood Elf green scheme but I want to avoid them looking too 'High Elf' either. I'm thinking a pale greyish blue cloak, with pale grey tunics (with contrasting cuff and hem trim) and leggings in greyish greens, various browns, etc...

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.2.20 Beleg Strongbow (Page 6)
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
I've been a bit quiet lately but haven't been idle. I've been doing lots of glueing together of Victrix Anglo-Saxons to convert to Sindar and it's still going on. However, I thought I'd show you a couple of pictures of my conversion of Beleg Strongbow, chief of the Doriath March-Wardens as I finished making him today.
He's made from a warrior from the Anglo-Saxon command frame with Oathmark bow arm and quiver and a particularly decorative Republican Roman helmet that I simply altered by adding a long horse-tail style plume.
I've given him an Elven horn for a Dragon Rampant scenario I'm working on, of which more will be revealed soon(ish).
The stroke of luck with this model was that this particular cloak comes with a separate fur collar which I decided I didn't want to use, but it left a gaping hole where the brooch would be. However, on the Oathmark sprue, there are little circular bits of waste sprue on the standard that need removing and they are exactly the right size to be the brooch on here! I love it when happy little accidents like that happen!!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.2.20 Beleg Strongbow (Page 6)
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2020, 10:05:02 PM »
Very well done,and spot on with the helmet, brilliant! I always thought(from early Ral Partha elves 1977) that Corinthian helmets were the most suitable,you have shown me the light :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 9.2.20 Sindar Kingsguard (Page 6)
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2020, 02:19:13 PM »
Thank you, Blackwolf. I've been struggling for ages to get the 'right' look for the helmets so I could convert some historical minis for Middle Earth and I'm very pleased with the way they are turning out.

I've been busy with the Greenstuff again last nigh toot... Here are the Sindar of Thingol's Kingsguard. They'll be included in a unit with the king's command base - it'll be a reduced model unit of Elite Foot in Dragon Rampant.
Victrix Anglo-Saxon bodies, helmet tops and shields, plus Victrix Republican Roman lower head. I'm pleased with these. If you saw my sketch of my vision of 1st Age Elves a few weeks back, you'll recognise how close I'm getting to that with these models. A unit of Offensive Heavy Foot next, armed with spears, swords and shields...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2020, 02:39:05 PM »
The helm combo's are inspired Andy  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2020, 02:40:07 PM »
Continually impressive work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
Excellent conversions :o
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2020, 04:35:07 PM »
Just love all of This!
Well done.
I think JRRT would approve.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2020, 11:23:45 PM »
These are really good,I mean really good,kudos!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2020, 06:21:44 AM »
I think you've managed to creat a whole new style and look for elves. Bravo!

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2020, 06:52:49 AM »
Really impressive conversions. Just goes to show how versatile plastics are!! Did you have much trouble when converting the heads, with a half and half approach?
Also will you be cutting the crosses from the front of the figures? They're not exactly an elven symbol.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »
Really impressive conversions. Just goes to show how versatile plastics are!! Did you have much trouble when converting the heads, with a half and half approach?
Also will you be cutting the crosses from the front of the figures? They're not exactly an elven symbol.

Thank you.  :) Yeah the plastics give you a whole new set of options. The only concern is the very brittle spears. I may have to replace those with steel ones...
Chopping the Roman heads in half is not easy. You need a very sharp knife and a lot of care. You don't always get a first totally clean and accurate cut so you have to then shave the excess off and try to file it all flat. I really need some liquid green stuff to fill in the inevitable slight gaps, although to be fair, although the gaps are very noticeable in close-up photos, they are not so much an issue at tabletop distance.
I'm not going to remove crosses etc. It's too much trouble to repair the mail where they get filed off. I'm just going to assume that Elves wore all kinds of decoration and just keep the crosses on. Most models don't have them anyway, so it's not a huge issue and it doesn't bother me enough to spend the time on it. I appreciate that for other people it would be something they'd want to remove...