Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.3.20 Mablung's Bodyguard (Page 8)  (Read 20326 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 9.2.20 Sindar Kingsguard (Page 6)
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2020, 09:57:10 AM »
If you feel that the cross could be too extreme for Elves to wear, my idea is that you could add a tad of green stuff to the right and left of the cross to look like a pendant.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2020, 11:47:41 AM »
Chopping the Roman heads in half is not easy. You need a very sharp knife and a lot of care. You don't always get a first totally clean and accurate cut so you have to then shave the excess off and try to file it all flat.

This suggestion may prove to be even more fiddly but here goes.... have you thought of using a very fine bladed razor saw?

If you have a good quality modelling vice you can mitigate any damage that might be done to the plastic components by cushioning between layers cloth in the teeth of the vice that.

As I say, it might be a 'long winded' solution :)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2020, 01:20:37 PM »
This suggestion may prove to be even more fiddly but here goes.... have you thought of using a very fine bladed razor saw?

If you have a good quality modelling vice you can mitigate any damage that might be done to the plastic components by cushioning between layers cloth in the teeth of the vice that.

As I say, it might be a 'long winded' solution :)

As I own neither a vice nor a razor saw, I think it would be both expensive and long winded!  lol
It's not actually a massive issue just a bit fiddly but I've not had any disasters yet - no Roman heads wasted through ill-judged slicing... Mind you, I do have 19 more to do and have only thus far done 9 so... ;)

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2020, 01:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Do you leave the heads on the sprue to cut them? I cannot imagine how fiddly that would be! Still, I have some spare plastics, might be worth an experiment :)
You mention liquid green stuff. Have you seen this trick: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8Acdi59M0
I've not tried it, but there is a wargames show in Hamburg this weekend, planning to pick up some millieput and have a go!
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. Do you leave the heads on the sprue to cut them? I cannot imagine how fiddly that would be! Still, I have some spare plastics, might be worth an experiment :)

No I take them off the sprue. I had a few Romans made up already that have ended up spare so I started with those. I'll watch that video, thanks.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2020, 03:54:01 PM »
As I own neither a vice nor a razor saw, I think it would be both expensive and long winded!  lol

lol I'm laughing as I'm nursing another finger injury- under the nail this time (metals!)  :o

It's not actually a massive issue just a bit fiddly but I've not had any disasters yet - no Roman heads wasted through ill-judged slicing... Mind you, I do have 19 more to do and have only thus far done 9 so... ;)

Sounds like you have it all under control Andy :)

Mind those digits! My left hand is typing this with my middle finger!  :D

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 26.1.20 Small Sindar Update (Page 6)
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2020, 04:28:06 PM »
Gonna undercoat them tomorrow and start getting some paint on them. Still not sure on the colour scheme. I don't particularly want a typical Wood Elf green scheme but I want to avoid them looking too 'High Elf' either. I'm thinking a pale greyish blue cloak, with pale grey tunics (with contrasting cuff and hem trim) and leggings in greyish greens, various browns, etc...

In case you haven't started painting them, you might want to check out Unfinished Tales for inspiration. As I recall (don't have it to hand) there is an Elven axe armed unit referenced garrisoning one of the gates of Gondolin. I think they are described as being in red from memory which might not appeal but worth a read anyway.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 26.1.20 Small Sindar Update (Page 6)
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »
In case you haven't started painting them, you might want to check out Unfinished Tales for inspiration. As I recall (don't have it to hand) there is an Elven axe armed unit referenced garrisoning one of the gates of Gondolin. I think they are described as being in red from memory which might not appeal but worth a read anyway.

Yeah that whole passage in The Fall of Gondolin is a goldmine in terms of it being a rare very detailed description of warriors and their heraldry. I think red would be too much for my Doriath Sindar, but anyone inspired by this thread to create their own Elven force should certainly seek that passage out as the variety of colour schemes within it for each of the units gives potential for some stunning looking armies.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 26.2.20 Mablung of the Heavy Hand (Page 7)
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2020, 11:41:05 PM »
I've been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks - my mojo stalled a bit with the thought of building the next 20 or so Sindar, but I'm back on it today. Here's Mablung of the Heavy Hand, chief among Thingol's Thanes. The usual mixture of Victrix Anglo-Saxons, Republican Romans and Greenstuff.
I'm pleased with this fella. He looks like he means business! He'll have some of the axemen I posted a while back as his bodyguard as an Elite Foot unit in my Dragon Rampant Sindar army... I really must get some paint on some of these to break up the monotony of the conversion process!

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2020, 02:13:31 AM »
You mention liquid green stuff. Have you seen this trick: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8Acdi59M0
I've not tried it, but there is a wargames show in Hamburg this weekend, planning to pick up some millieput and have a go!

Thank you for sharing ... had no ideas milliput was so versatile ... and I just ordered some tamiya epoxy putty  :'(

And Mablung looks great! Your conversion work is infectious... like many other things in 2020.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 26.2.20 Mablung of the Heavy Hand (Page 7)
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
You are making fantastic conversions, eager to see them painted! Cheers!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 27.2.20 Sindar Warriors (Page 7)
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2020, 09:51:31 PM »
Another busy evening building and converting Sindar. Usual mix of Victrix Romans and Saxons plus some Oathmark helmet plumes. I'm concerned about the spears on these. They are so very brittle and are gonna break for sure with any heavy handling or dropping. I should probably try to replace them with steel ones but that will require some very precise drilling...and the purchase of some new steel spears!
Still, they do look rather good, I think!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 27.2.20 Sindar Warriors (Page 7)
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2020, 11:10:02 PM »
They look great  :) I am enjoying following this thread as well as the other Middle Earth 1st Age threads I have noticed of late.

As a teenager (when the world was young!), I remember trying to field all the armies of the Battle of Unnumbered Tears (the Leipzig of the period) at 1:100 ratio in 28mm. A rather mad escapade that I eventually abandoned as Gondolin alone was 100 figures. Goodness knows how many orcs I would have needed!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 29.2.20 More Sindar Warriors (Page 7)
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2020, 10:56:38 PM »
Busy evening finishing the building of the last 7 models in the Offensive Heavy Foot unit. Usual mix of stuff. I'm really pleased with these. The unit is going to look immense!
I need to order a new Roman sprue now as I've run out of heads and need to do 9 more axemen and they'll be the last ones for the time being. The archers and Beleg's bodyguard for this army are all GW LoTR range - the former are Lothlorien Archers and the latter are Rangers of the North models. They fit in pretty well actually even though they're a little smaller. I'll take some pics of those once they are painted as most will be unconverted.
Anyway, here are those latest sword/spearmen...

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 29.2.20 More Sindar Warriors (Page 7)
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »
They are coming out wonderfully!
Very convincing natural action poses!
Cheers!