Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686649
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: O Group Rules Update  (Read 4061 times)

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
O Group Rules Update
« on: November 14, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »

The latest update to the development of the O Group WW2 rules is now over on the TFL blog and the GdeB blog!

Following on from a couple of recent play-tests we move away slightly from the pure "combat" aspect of the rules into a discussion on mechanisms that cover how we deploy our WW2 battalion, how it advances to contact and fights and also reflect on some of the reasons as to why battalions deployed and fought in the manner they did.

So, we look at the actual deployment of your battalion's companies, looking at how the companies and platoons were deployed or could be deployed, including nut just on-table units and just as importantly holding units in reserve and the ability to commit them to battle at the right time and in the right place!  We also look at the advance to contact phase and how we have tried to make the mechanisms covering this vital aspect of a WW2 battlefield just a little different from other wargames in order to try and produce a certain amount of the fog of war. Finally we discuss the actual contact and consolidation phases of battle and how we could in incorporate WW2 doctrine into the rules.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/generaldebrigadefr/

DB

Offline fraction

• Librarian
    • RvT Historical Miniature Painting & Gaming
Re: O Group Rules Update
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »
Really like these approaches for a ww2 set of rules.

Looking forward to get a copy as soon as they become available.

Anything in regard of campaign rules?

I am in the process of developing several campaigns for this level of rules.
Facebook site to share my brushwork: https://www.facebook.com/rvtpainting/

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
I like the idea of this, It sounds similar to a Bn level game I started to work on myself some years ago with proper TOE 3 men on a base equalling a section, Coy HQs represented etc. I always disliked the way Rapid Fire "rounded up" forces, and that I couldn't split it up into proper platoons and sections, the way a Company commander on the ground would.

So pleased to see a Battalion level game, there is a gap in the market for it. 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »
Color me interested.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »
V,

Yep, I use 3 figures on a base to represent the section. For dedicated antitank sections, etc I use 2 figures per base.

Though there is no formal basing requirement, so players can use whatever they wish.

Each Company HQ is represented by any officer-type gaggle of figures on a base, (I believe a group of officers is collectively referred to as an Indecision, but I could be wrong! ;))

Battalion HQs are also represented.

DB

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
Definitely interested in this. It is good to see reserves being considered- as in so many wargames getting the most units shooting is what matters.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »
Will there be diffrent TO&E's in the publication? What nations will be represented, and will it cover thr whole war?

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »
CM,

There will be different orbats as a guide to building your battalion, probably just concentrating on the main four (Ger/UK/US/Russian) but may well expand with campaign booklets, etc.

DB

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 03:28:18 AM »
Thanks, sounds good so far. Guess ill look up battalion TO&E's and set to makeing a U.S. and German force.
Any recommendations in scale? 15, 10, 6mm and baseing?

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
CM,

Aimed at 15mm and 20mm in the main. Can also be adapted to 6mm/10mm.

There's no fixed basing.

I go with 3 figures per rifle section base, two figures for heavy wepaons, etc. Company commanders (HQ) on a suitably larger command type base.
For my 15mm troops I use those smaller Flames of War bases - which measure 30mm across x 25mm deep. I use the bigger standard FoW bases for Company HQs, BN Mortars, etc. For 20mm I used warbases mdf 40mm x 30mm with rounded edges.

DB

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
Cheers! And thanks for the visual aids.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 03:09:05 PM »
My 10mm WWII infantry is based on 50x30mm bases with 5-6 figures. Which are a little larger than what you have used for 20mm, but I hope will work OK.

Do LMG sections need representing? I see you have a Bren group in the first photo? And is it only Company and Battalion command stands that are needed?

So far it seems that the troops needed will be very similiar to what I have built up for BKC, with 9 infantry stands and a HQ.

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:57:14 AM »
F,

Your bases should be fine - as long as the opposing battalion has similar basing then it's ok.

The individual weapons teams do not need to be represented, so you don't need LMG or light mortars but they can be used and simply represent a "rifle section".

The use of the various weapons/tactics is represented through the platoon's Training Characteristic.

The command stands are Company Commander (HQ) and Bn HQ, oh and the FO.

So, yes similar to your BKC, a basic Company consists of 3 platoons, each of 3 sections and a Company Commander. You can attach heavy weapons as well, such as MMGs.

DB

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
Thanks - that all sounds like it should just work

Looking forward to finding out more

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 10:29:33 PM »
F,

Your bases should be fine - as long as the opposing battalion has similar basing then it's ok.

The individual weapons teams do not need to be represented, so you don't need LMG or light mortars but they can be used and simply represent a "rifle section".

The use of the various weapons/tactics is represented through the platoon's Training Characteristic.

The command stands are Company Commander (HQ) and Bn HQ, oh and the FO.

So, yes similar to your BKC, a basic Company consists of 3 platoons, each of 3 sections and a Company Commander. You can attach heavy weapons as well, such as MMGs.

DB
Just as long as they're better than the BG: PzG orbats...
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk