Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: O Group Rules Update  (Read 4107 times)

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
Re: O Group Rules Update
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
M,

Ha ha! lol

Still using your very fine orbats, though adjusted to reflect no LMGs and PCs.

DB

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
Dave, O Group might just give me a means to play out a battalion-level infantry action I've been wanting to launch for quite some time now, based on a 1/144th scale game board prepared, and with infantry figs. and supporting hvy. weapons to loosely explore the actions fought SW of Carentan (the US 101st AB vs. the 17th SS PzGren. Div......around the "Bloody Gulch"es).

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
M,

Ha ha! lol

DB
Damn you!  I was hoping for a bite... You're no fun any more...  :-[
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
M,

Ha ha! lol

DB
Remember there were all the other bits that we didn't have space for last time - mainly brigade/regimental/divisional/corps support assets.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 04:59:33 PM »
Dave, O Group might just give me a means to play out a battalion-level infantry action I've been wanting to launch for quite some time now, based on a 1/144th scale game board prepared, and with infantry figs. and supporting hvy. weapons to loosely explore the actions fought SW of Carentan (the US 101st AB vs. the 17th SS PzGren. Div......around the "Bloody Gulch"es).

That is a thing of true loveliness.  :-*

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »
Thanks JM! 

Every now and then I'll dust off this board, vacuum over the hedges, and sit it up back against the wall....

Hey, you mention support assets above - in O Group, wondering if these can be handled "off board", (and even for the battalion-level medium mortar sections)?

Depending on the game's ground scale, so many of these support assets were deployed well off the line of contact, and so wondering if there's rule mechanisms in O Group to enable indirect fire missions 'remotely' w/o needing to deploy these elements on-board (or in miniature)?     

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »
Depending on the game's ground scale, so many of these support assets were deployed well off the line of contact, and so wondering if there's rule mechanisms in O Group to enable indirect fire missions 'remotely' w/o needing to deploy these elements on-board (or in miniature)?   

You would have to assume so, at Battalion level, you would be accessing regimental or battle-group level support, which could be literally kilometres behind the front. The real problem is that in this scale, if you get to call in a stonk, it will just obliterate the opposition. The use of artillery, making it available, but not in such a way that it makes the game completely one-sided, is a challenge with WW2 games.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »
Absolutely, but also thinking in terms of defensive mortar support, and how these elements might be reflected as the enemy assault battalion is driving deeper into the depth of the defended battle sector.   

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 08:01:18 PM »
Thanks JM! 

Every now and then I'll dust off this board, vacuum over the hedges, and sit it up back against the wall....

Hey, you mention support assets above - in O Group, wondering if these can be handled "off board", (and even for the battalion-level medium mortar sections)?

I was thinking more about the higher-level direct support assets such as divisional anti-tank troops, which did frequently get attached to battalion groups, but which didn't make it into the final cut of BGPzG.  We did write up all of these and had intended to include them in scenario books and supplements, but 'things happened'...  ;)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 08:07:09 PM »
You would have to assume so, at Battalion level, you would be accessing regimental or battle-group level support, which could be literally kilometres behind the front. The real problem is that in this scale, if you get to call in a stonk, it will just obliterate the opposition. The use of artillery, making it available, but not in such a way that it makes the game completely one-sided, is a challenge with WW2 games.
Higher-level artillery is difficult to model in wargames, I agree, but I would argue that there's not much point in fielding a British or US battalion if you don't provide them with the tools for them to do their job.  I'm sure that Dave has it in hand :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 08:12:59 PM »
That is a thing of true loveliness.  :-*

It certainly is.

Adding direct fire support options seems fairly straight forward - are you talking about having them on force selectors or army lists within the game.

Lots of artillery is difficult to model - I’m not sure of the ground scale of O Group, but I suspect the table is only a km or so in depth. Which doesn’t give a lot of room for artillery to land in.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
I’m not sure of the ground scale of O Group, but I suspect the table is only a km or so in depth. Which doesn’t give a lot of room for artillery to land in.
Knowing the ground scale would certainly help inform us to the scale of the combat envisioned (even if defined as "battalion level").

The displacement of the supporting mortar sections [or neutralization of their FOs/communications] was arguably one of the critical factors in overcoming an enemy defensive zone - thus my query about the mechanisms of tactical fire support designed for O Group.

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »
FlyX,

All the artillery in OG is off board.

Battalion Mortars are represented by a single base, (any shape or size) next to the Battalion HQ. The models function is to remind players of this asset, and when they've used them or if they are currently low on ammo. In reality they are, of course, much further to the rear along with the rest of the artillery.

Ground scale is very approximately 1” ≈ 20 to 25 yards/meters. Bearing in mind that we are always as wargamers limited by the physical depth of our gaming tables, something that did not impact upon many WW2 commanders. ;)

DB

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
Thanks Dave!

Keeps us better grounded as we continue to learn more about the set's design.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »
FlyX,

All the artillery in OG is off board.

Battalion Mortars are represented by a single base, (any shape or size) next to the Battalion HQ. The models function is to remind players of this asset, and when they've used them or if they are currently low on ammo. In reality they are, of course, much further to the rear along with the rest of the artillery.

Ground scale is very approximately 1” ≈ 20 to 25 yards/meters. Bearing in mind that we are always as wargamers limited by the physical depth of our gaming tables, something that did not impact upon many WW2 commanders. ;)

DB

Thanks for that Dave. Beginning to have remorse about leaving behind all my 6mm in Oz.