Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:46:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690579
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BlitzMania! (Blood Bowl & Blitz Bowl)  (Read 22387 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: BlitzMania! (Blood Bowl & Blitz Bowl)
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2022, 06:38:29 PM »
Awesome work, Jack! Mourn Mountain Sabretusks is a great team name too!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2022, 11:30:44 PM »
Thanks! I finished the rest of the team.

This post has come later than it should have. I’ve been working on hobby projects, but work has been pretty hectic, and when I punch out I’ve been wanting to get away from a computer. The local Blood Bowl league is starting up a new season this week, so I made sure I had a new team kitted up. The Mourn Mountain Sabretusks

Several years ago, I got pretty invested in Mantic’s Dreadball. I still miss that game from time to time, and consider it the “one that got away” as it were. Most of all I miss my Zee team. They’re made up of cloned space monkeys and generally considered the worst performing team in the game (as of 1st edition). With the Ogre team being considered the lowest Blood Bowl team, I thought this would be the perfect time to revive those old Zee colors of mine.

Pretty much all red with a little white trim and one piece of light blue pop and that’s it. I went white on all the little metal teeth looking bits, and as these models don’t have cool sci-fi visors, the blue is the front part of the helmets on the Blockers. I sourced extra sprues so I could have five Blockers all in uniform helmets and the one lone Runt Punter stands out with his pose and lack of bucket on his head.

The gnoblar Linegrots don’t even get the blue pop. They’re disposable, so the front office just tosses ’em old red and gray rags to wear.

With the team complete, I’ve now got another bottom dwelling sports team that harkens back to a project from my past. It’s always interesting to me why we choose the projects and schemes that we do, and here we see a theme re-used but updated for a new era.

Our marketing team has come through with the logo above so the Sabretusks will be ready to take the pitch this week. I do have a coach model on order, but they haven’t arrived yet from my LGS. Oh, in our current league, we’re using the rostered Star Player rule, and we drew Griff! Perhaps this season won’t be such a bust after all. 😉
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 12:50:11 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2022, 02:58:29 AM »
Mr. Hooligan, top notch brush work as always and I like the color scheme as well, it looks very BB and your reasoning behind it is icing on the cake. Was wondering about your rostered Star Player rule though. Is it a house rule or something I missed the years I wasn't playing? Just started again last year and picked up the last two editions but don't remember seeing that.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2022, 08:38:46 PM »
Thank you.

The Rostered Star Player rules are in the 2021 Almanac. They basically allow each team to draft a star player for free, but they still will add to your TR value. They will play all season, can't gain SPPs, nor receive any injury worse than 'miss next game'.
Here the link to the book, if you're interested in the other contents: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/blood-bowl-spike-almanac-2021-eng-hb

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2022, 10:14:58 PM »
Ah, was totally unaware of that. Picked up the new edition of Deathzone but totally missed the Almanac. I will have to pick that up. I was getting Spike! magazine but I guess I can pass on that now that I know they do an Almanac. Thanks for putting that out there or I'd never have known. Guess I'll just have to start reading Warhammer Community again. Best of luck with your Ogre team. I should really get around to finishing my Necromantic Horror team one of these days too. (But hey, I did finally paint the old metal Norse team last year, and Morg'n'Thorg to boot so I don't feel too bad about it.)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2022, 07:02:45 PM »
Finally finished the team coach and mascot.

For the sabretusk, I went with more muted ‘natural’ red and blue. Still pretty fantastical, but hey, Battlecat amirite?

Anyway clearly the team colors are an exaggeration on the sabretusk pattern.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 07:36:04 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2022, 12:27:37 AM »
The Ironkeep Bloodskins

I've never played with the Khorne team, but am taking them to Chaos Cup in September. What better way to learn a new team than in amidst the competition of the biggest US BB tournament of the year. ha!

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2022, 02:43:43 PM »
They look superb

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »
They look superb

Thanks! Naturally, I wanted to incorporate red into a Khorne team, but wanted to move away from red/gold/black armour and do something a little different. Red for the skin...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2022, 10:09:21 PM »
Nice work! I like the conversions. Where's the Minotaur from?

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2022, 10:30:45 PM »
Nice work! I like the conversions. Where's the Minotaur from?

Thanks! It was simple AoS helmets on the BB team bodies.
The minotaur is this Pedro Ramos sculpt from Impact: https://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=resinbigguys_profile&id=TC_SSBM
I've always loved that sculpt. There was a bit of flash on it, but for $15 it's a great Big Guy with a lot of options. I'm not a fan of the official Bloodspawn model, so hope this makes for a suitable replacement. The minotaur model has a claw and the Bloodspawn has claws, so I figure it'll work.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2022, 11:09:11 PM »
Yeah, he works well for it. He's a good size as well - a wondered if a lot of the 3rd party Blood Bowl figures might be a bit small for the 2016 Edition + figures, but that one works perfectly.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2022, 02:15:14 PM »
Every September, the biggest Blood Bowl tournament in North America, and probably the Western Hemisphere, takes place in Chicago, Illinois. This year is the 20th anniversary of the event and the tournament organizer has themed it around the old-school Slann team of second edition fame. So, with space frogs as the tournament theme, they’re also the Legacy Team for anyone opting to participate in the Legacy Team project.

The Legacy Team is a side project where coaches sign-up to paint one model for the team, then at the tournament all of the participating coaches have their names collected and a winner is randomly drawn from this pool. That winner takes home the team. I decided to lend my brush work to the event and ended up with a linefrog to paint, which I was able to get a model from a buddy.

The models can come from any collection, but the colors are to use the colors of the event…blue and orange. Black base ring with number in the front and painter name in the back is also required. For this linefrog I wanted him to appear like he’s been a knocked on the noggin a bit too many times on the line of scrimmage, thus the big cloudy eye with small pupil.

I’m not really sure which team ruleset one would use with a team of Slann models. Maybe humans? Amazons? Elf Union? Either way, it’ll be interesting to see all the models collected as a set into an eclectic team.

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2022, 04:13:16 PM »
He looks cool.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2022, 12:49:00 PM »
Thanks! I didn't win the Legacy team and only went 2-2-2 over 6 games. I was 3-3 so an improvement? worse performance? hard to say. ha!

Anyway, some more models done:

While I was working on the Mournmountain Sabretusks ogre team for the local Blood Bowl league, I went ahead and tackled the Blitz Bowl version of the ogre team as well. However, instead of the same red, white, and blue colors, I went grey and yellow to maximize their gaming potential.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the turn and score marker coin, but I went the same verdigris look as I do for all my sideline markers. Also, I used up all my non-runt punter ogres on the Blood Bowl team, but I knew that any BzB ogre team would have one runt punter and one non. For the non-runt punter (the ogre on the right), I had a leftover ogre from the BB20 (or BB Second Season Edition) box set.

Back to those grey and yellow colors…I painted them that way to match my dwarf BzB team because combined they can be a College of Fire DungeonBowl team. The College of Fire team is currently made up of Ogres, Dwarves, and some members of the Khorne team. I’ve got plenty of players here for a complete DB team and have already played several games with them. Currently, they play under the name House Dynamo. I need to source a coach for this team next.