Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tolkien orc conversions  (Read 7685 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Tolkien orc conversions
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 10:39:02 PM »
I meant: How did you depict the elves ? :)

Having found your other thread I have now seen that you are using the Oathmark elves as a basis. Excellent stuff!

Have you seen the new Oathmark Goblin Wolf Riders which were shown on the Oathmark Facebook Page today? They are pretty spot on!

So far this range exceeds my expectations and I am eagerly awaiting more releases.

Yup, Oathmark elves are the other part of the equation for me! I think they are fabulous and just right for Tolkien.

I have indeed seen the new wolf riders (I was lucky enough to get a preview sprue - some of the parts are on the the front rank orc in the second picture above - new head, thrusting spear arm, wolfs tail on helmet).  I haven’t yet seen the wolves in the flesh though.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »
Lovely conversions James - they look all the better for having realistic looking weapons

:)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
I have indeed seen the new wolf riders (I was lucky enough to get a preview sprue - some of the parts are on the the front rank orc in the second picture above - new head, thrusting spear arm, wolfs tail on helmet).  I haven’t yet seen the wolves in the flesh though.
I like the riders. While there arent a lot of new bits compared to the infantry, the new bits look great.

The wolves though... they're too cartoony for my tastes. That said I'll probably but at least 1 box for the riders alone.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
They look brilliant!

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Very much like those, suitably grim and dirty, as Tolkien described them. ('I must not start doing fantasy, I must not start doing fantasy'.)
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
Why have I never thought about it - those bills look like really spot on weapons for orcs or goblins, with all the curved blades and spikes pointing in various directions! And I have had those Perry arms around for years. Will need to keep this in mind if I run into any figures needing a replacement for a broken weapon.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
Yup, Oathmark elves are the other part of the equation for me! I think they are fabulous and just right for Tolkien.

The author of Oathmark has a painted preview sprue Wolfrider on his blog and it looks great:

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2019/11/wolf-rider.html

Will you expand on the orc / goblin infantry or is your project nearly finished? Would love to see more of these or some scenes from you games in the other tread :)
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »
Cheers; I saw Joe’s rider via the Facebook page and he’s done a fine job. 

This project is in no way done! I am working on about 40+ orcs right now plus more elves. Not sure where it will end up but I’m enjoying it. I will keep posting updates when I have something new.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 09:34:40 PM »
Wonderful orcs here, well done! Agree with op on Chris Achilleos' orcs and the coming Oathmark wolf riders look awesome too (the wolf is as if straight out of Battle Masters).

I'm personally very interested in first age (Silmarillion), second age Numenor vs. lesser men (HoME XII, Tal-Elmar) and the fourth age with its possible orc cults (HoME XII, The New Shadow).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:37:17 PM by Nordic1980s »

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 12:17:52 AM »
Wow, these are fantastic. So atmospheric, they are exactly what I think off when I read the books.

I love the oathmark kits, I think they look fantastic as is, but you've made them even better mixing them with the orc stuff!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
A few more workbench shots...having a great time with these.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »
Loving these lads. Spearmen look tops
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline peleset

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2019, 04:21:47 AM »
I've been enjoying this thread; playing around with all the plastic kits available these days is almost a hobby in it's self.

The problem for me seems to be commitment, actually gluing stuff down. I admire you and all those who blaze a trail for us waverers to follow!
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 05:03:50 AM »
Love what I’m seeing here! Much. Etter than what a great Hollywood director made out of Tolkien  lol lol

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 09:17:50 AM »
Great orcs :)

When you add Oathmark heads to GW bodies, do you snip the GW head at the neck or slightly further up?
I'm asking because I've done a couple of these and since the Oathmark heads dont come with neck, they tend to sit rather low on the BW bodies.