Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How Was Warfare 2019!  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
How Was Warfare 2019!
« on: November 17, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »
Has anyone got any pics of Warfare ?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: How Was Warfare 2019!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:36:18 PM »
Sorry no pictures & only a flying visit, but these are my impressions:-
Got there very early (this time) & got a parking spot in the Car Park!!!!!
However ticket system changed yet again. This time all machines disabled,
the only ones working were right by the front door. Up to 3 hours free, but you
still had to get a ticket with your car number plate on. result... big queue to get
 a ticket to prove you didn't have to pay???!!!
Traders, as usual, nice & varied. Managed to spend money easily.
Bring & Buy, as usual, very busy. Difficult to get at it. May well have had things
of interest for me, just too much effort to find out.
Did not have time to sample:- Competition games, Demo games or the food.
Rumour that this was the last time at current venue, council pulling it down?
Anyone out there know more? It is a show that my friends & I enjoy, for us it
is the last of the year. A last chance to stock up for the great 'Hibernation Painting'.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 10:23:12 PM »
Has.been, we were given cards as we entered the Reading show. On them it tells how next years Warfare show 2020, will be held at Ascot Racecourse.
How Think are you ?
Flatpack

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 06:55:36 AM »
Flatpack, you know I can't read during the day, I went to night school. :?
Where the heck is Ascot racecourse? And will we have to get up that early again?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
They're knocking down the Godawful Rivermead Leisure Centre, with its terribly organised car parking, reek of fried food (hey, it's a sports fitness centre!) and dingy sodium lighting?  :o
Fantastic news!  :-*

I do usually attend Warfare as it's one of the bigger shows within striking distance. But as I was about to set out this year, the traffic news told me that the M4 was closed between J6 and J8, and that, combined with the prospect of parking in the muddy, disorganised, always overcrowded-yet-inexplicably-always-part-closed-off Rivermead car park, decided the matter for me. Not worth the hassle.

Ascot racecourse sounds a way better prospect. For me at least, it means a 70-mile round trip drive rather than a 120-mile round trip, and I'm guessing there's going to be limitless parking - yay. Also avoiding the need to drive right through the usually busy, sometimes congested city centre of Reading. Plus the venue interior can't possibly be any worse, and will probably be a great deal better. So I'll definitely be giving that a go. Let's hope it becomes a permanent move. See you there next year! ;)

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »
IIRC they are at Ascot for a minimum of 2 years - first in a grandstand like Colours or Vapa and then in a single level hall

From a traders pov this could be great or awful. Rivermede wont be missed.... it's a dump with pisspoor access and getting in and out for set up/breakdown is a complete PITA

But Warfare is already one of the most expensive shows on the circuit for a stand and Ascot won't be cheap - that means either put the trade stand prices up or invite more traders.

More traders sounds great for the punters but could be a disaster for the existing stands as over-trading just dilutes the spend. The only way to avoid this is to vastly up the numbers through the door. As the attendance at shows is *generally* going down I can't see this happening.

As things stand I doubt we'll be there next year.

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 11:12:17 AM »
I usually really enjoy Warfare, this year it seemed a bit flat (might have been me - it was the end of a hard week). There was little excitement from the traders. The participation games again seemed a bit flat - with less to grab passers by. Hall seemed to empty at 12, I guess to the food queues. First time for years I didn't find anything on the B&B. Had some good chats with folks.

I will probably be at Ascot - it's a shorter journey for me. Still can't understand why Reading and Newbury don't just run one show between them.